Old 06-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #1  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Default The Evils of Movie Theater Popcorn

I'm going to the movies in an hour.

I have serious portion-control issues with popcorn. Anyone else have that? If I get a big bag of the stuff to share with a friend? I will eat way MORE than my share. I take big handfuls of popcorn and eat the stuff way too quickly, usually spilling loads of it in my cleavage, then spending half the movie popcorn-fishing in my bra.

Have you ever looked up the calories in a large bag/bucket of buttered movie popcorn? It's like... 1500-1800 calories. I could get big bags of popcorn and eat those as my sole meal of the day and be full-up on my calories. (I'd then probably wind up dying of malnutrition.)

So, I'm planning on getting a small bag of popcorn. Portion control, baby. But herein is my problem. I love.. love love love... LOVE... buttered popcorn. Why even GET popcorn if it's not going to be buttered? Sadly, a small thing of popcorn is 400 unbuttered... but 640 when you add the fattening buttery garbage.

Aaaand... with 400 calories, I'm at 1,550 calories for the day, a good number. Butter and my chubby pudge are battling it out right now!!!!

Last edited by Jelbb; 06-21-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #2  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

so i know you're totally not supposed to do this, but i make a single pack size of kettle corn at home (100 calories) and bring it in a bag in my purse...i usually bring like some craisins or something too in case it's a long movie. it's not as good as the greasy fake-buttered popcorn at the theater, but it's a close second.
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/268/175

Height: 5'8"

HaHa, I bring Grapes and Chewy Bars and I grab a propel water. Our movie theater doesn't care and I totally have a Mommy-Purse so it works out.
shrinkingleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #4  

I LOVE movie popcorn like no joke! I seriously avoid the movies as much as possible because I can't resist the popcorn. How sad is that right? It's true though I can't resist chinese food and movie popcorn. If I see/smell it I must have some and I totally lose control. I always say I'm going to bring my own 94% FF popcorn with me but it's just not the same. I wish I could offer you some advice, but I think I need a little myself.
kswood87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I'm not sure this will help, but I've gotten used to just not eating during movies.

My mom always bought popcorn or candy or soda in the movies when I was little, but then as I grew up, NONE of my friends ever bought ANYTHING to eat/drink during the movies.. including my husband... and it rubbed off on me.

If the movie isn't interesting enough to sit through without a snack, why would I pay $9 or whatever to see it?
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/166/150

Height: 5'10"

I would seriously consider bringing your own.

As much as a small bag is 400-600 calories online. I know that when I worked at a movie theater we would use double or triple the butter flavoured oil and salt per batch because that's what made the popcorn taste best, and kept customers coming back for more.

If you don't have issues with sodium, the theater I worked at had different flavoured salts, which definitely made not using the melty butter flavouring easier.
Salacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #7  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I would make my own air popped, unbuttered at home (maybe add a tablespoon melted butter if you really want to) or go without. Its actually not that hard to go without. I find once i start eating something its hard to stop, its actually easier not to start eating it in the first place
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I bring tons of stuff into the theater. I have brought tacos, Blimpie's sandwiches, coffee, candy, strawberries, crackers, carrots. I will end up buying theater popcorn if we go to the dollar movies, because then we can afford it, but at nine bucks a movie, I end up eating better just because of what a tightwad I am.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #9  
Double chin be gone!

S/C/G: 263/254/200

Height: 5'9

oh man.. this thread was calling me. I have a SERIOUS problem with always wanting popcorn.. I freaking love it! I have to have popcorn a few times a week.. on weekends I work out hard and splurge on homemade kind with a little butter, but usually stick to the 100 cal packs. I've only just recently been able to start seeing movies without having the theatre popcorn. What's helped me lately is I've been broke and refuse to pay $7.50 for a bag of it! (it's 5.20 for a small at our theatre- absurd!). But, I feel your pain. I agree that sneaking in a little bag is a good idea, and if you have to have the theatre kind, get a small. Also.. what really helps me is if I have a nice filling meal right before the movie. Makes you not hungry, and while the popcorn smells great, your tummy is thinking "erghhh, no!"

Good luck!!
PopcornFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #10  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I've either gotten used to not getting the popcorn or getting the child sized bag. I can sit through a movie without eating, but sometimes I just want a snack.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I stopped eating popcorn at the movies. I know it doesn't sound as fun but if you eat before you go it's not that bad. If you really want popcorn I would bring you're own.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #12  
Shrinking chickie

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I go to the movies at least once a week with my BF and at first we never ate anything but once we were craving popcorn and then for a month after that we ALWAYS got popcorn... It was getting out of hand so now I do what amyleigh does: 100 cal mini bag i pop right before leaving the house and put it in a ziploc bag. I also drink diet coke at the movies so it kind of give me the "i'm pigging out at the movies" feeling but I really only took in 100 calories!
kk140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:25 AM   #13  
Saving Myself

S/C/G: 199.6/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbb View Post
Have you ever looked up the calories in a large bag/bucket of buttered movie popcorn? It's like... 1500-1800 calories. I could get big bags of popcorn and eat those as my sole meal of the day and be full-up on my calories. (I'd then probably wind up dying of malnutrition.)
OH, WOW! That's quite a lot of calories!!! So that's why after eating two big bags of popcorn one day I woke up at night and threw up!! And I thought it was just the grease. I can't very much greasy food or I don't feel good. I rarely get movie theater popcorn because the movie is $10 and the popcorn/drink combo is $10-15. That's not including tax. It's ridiculously overpriced. It's a nice treat when I actually get the yummy stuff.

BTW, which movie did you see?

Last edited by Angel's_Dust; 06-26-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Angel's_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #14  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

We saaaaw... the Taking of Pelham 1 2 3. Travolta and Denzel Washington!
But I've been a movie FIEND lately.
I've seen The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, Up, Angels and Demons, Drag Me To ****, Star Trek, The Hangover...

Last edited by Jelbb; 06-26-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote