Old 06-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Things I can do now

This is a conversation DH and I were having last night that was very amusing. We were talking about what little things we can do now that we have lost some weight. Odd non-scale victories.

Some things are obvious, like being able to run up a certain number of stairs without any effort. Or not being tired after a long walk. When I crouch down to pick something off the floor, I don't need to use my hands to assist my getting back up - I just use my leg muscles. But there are some weird things that you don't think about, things that you may not even think matter, but are all a result of losing weight and getting in shape.

For example: I can now sit cross-legged in my computer chair. I can easily get my whole hand into a mason jar to clean it. I can reach into the space behind the bookshelves to get the cat toys that accumulate there (I used to have to suck them out with the vaccuum).

Sometimes, when I realize I just did something I couldn't do before, I just have to laugh. Why on earth would it matter that I can fit my hand into a mason jar (actually, it makes it way easier to clean)? But when I realized I could do it, I burst out laughing!

So what strange things can you do now?

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #2  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

At 174, I had to sit down on the bed to put on socks, because I couldn't bend down far enough (tummy roll got in the way). Now I just stand on one leg and bring the foot up to the sock!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #3  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Well, right now I am on vacation at the beach. I can sit down into a low beach chair and get up easily. Wouldn't have tried sitting in one before for fear I couldn't get up! When I bought my chair at Target last week I wanted to try it out in the store to see if I could do it but I was afraid of getting stuck, so I bought the chair anyway thinking I could return it if I had to. Didn't have to!

I'm finding lots of weird little things like this and it's what's keeping me motivated to stick with this lifestyle.
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #4  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

I'm able to hike again; I still have to take frequent breaks on the way up but it has become so much easier. Sitting with my legs crossed is a big deal for me, I hated that couldn't do that for YEARS.

Because I am short I have to pull my seat pretty far forward, it's nice that my belly is no where near the steering wheel now.

My balance and flexibility has improved tremendously. I still feel like I have two left feet when I ZUMBA but I can now do the entire routine without hitting "pause".

Night sweats are a thing of the past.

Great topic.... I could go on and on.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote