Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Exclamation I was gone for a while but now I'm back...and more determined.

I fell off the wagon! I was having other issues and I lost sight of my progress...

I have since indulged in multiple binges including cookies, and ice cream.

I didn't gain back all the weight, but I did gain back 5 lbs. Major bummer! I am now trying a method I used before and worked to keep me off the sweets. alternate day fasting.

a friend told me she was a part of this forum..and I remembered how well I was doing!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:01 AM   #2  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

Hi.
Just curious, but what do you mean by fasting? I mean if it works for you, great, but I'm not sure going without food completely is a good idea...in college I used to hardly eat in the day and really overeat in the evening. Anyways good luck, five pounds is no disaster! x
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #3  
Purpose + Bucket

S/C/G: 206/153/130

Height: 65.5 inches.

Yeah, I'm with Me23. I was a bit concerned about the fasting. Overrestriction ('specially good food vs bad food sort of thing) and "fasting" tends to lead people into binging because they feel too over restricted. Moderation and balance between you and ANY food is really key to stop binging for good. Just sayin'.

I'll support your efforts anywhosal, but I'm still going to be a little concerned. :P

Best of luck to you, though!
bucketwithapurpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #4  

oh no, I am not labeling any food good food or bad food. I am just NOT eating for one day. Some people get all freaked out about it. but I have heard only good things about it AND I have done it before and It WORKS WELL for me.

I don't eat one day. Just sip on some V8 or honey sweetened green tea with a little acv added. Then the next day I get to eat. I am not allowed to restrict myself on these days. Just eat what I like when I'm hungry.

I did this in 2001. I Finally got back down to 135 lbs. And I looked good and felt good and had lots of energy. I kept the weight off for 2 years, with healthy eating. And then I had a crisis and blew it!

For some reason fasting is the only thing that curbs my sweet tooth and also makes me NOT want to eat all the time. I think it is because it sensitizes my body to insulin again. I have read lots of studies. And of course walked through it myself. It's not for everyone. But also I can not eat anything on fasting days or the need to binge will be triggered. Some people just restrict their calories severely during a fast eating lightly. I can not do that for some reason.

I find it easier to avoid the kitchen and keep busy during the day....and it's not hard for me at all.

Thanks for the concern and support. I have tried many different things I just never have success. This is one thing even though everyone boos--I have had success in the past with and I stick to.

I am also thinking about dropping my meat intake a lot more. For some reason I always weigh less as a vegetarian. or a lacto-ovo fish eating vegetarian.

i Need to ask some of the other vegetarians about this too. Nice to meet you guys!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #5  
Purpose + Bucket

S/C/G: 206/153/130

Height: 65.5 inches.

I'm a veggie myself. :] The thing that concerns me about it that typically we need atleast 150 grams of carbohydrates for our brains to function properly, and the lack of vitamins and such you'd get on the days that you fast. I'm still a little bit concerned, but if it works for you then that's good. If you decide to go veggie, I seriously reccomend taking a multi-vitamin on a daily basis and make sure you pack a bunch of fruits, veggies, and nuts in on the days you eat with some eggs, dairy, and soy. (And fish, if you decide to go pescetarian.)

Also.. are you exercising? If you are, the fasting might not be very doable, and could be potentially dangerous. If you do decide to exercise, defiantly do it only on the days that you're not fasting.

I don't know a whole lot about fasting since there's so many different mumbo jumbo theories out there, but.. just be careful, and mind your health too. : ) Your weight may change over time, but your health is forever so take care of yourself, alright?
bucketwithapurpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendiet View Post
oh no, I am not labeling any food good food or bad food. I am just NOT eating for one day. Some people get all freaked out about it. but I have heard only good things about it AND I have done it before and It WORKS WELL for me.

I don't eat one day. Just sip on some V8 or honey sweetened green tea with a little acv added. Then the next day I get to eat. I am not allowed to restrict myself on these days. Just eat what I like when I'm hungry.

I did this in 2001. I Finally got back down to 135 lbs. And I looked good and felt good and had lots of energy. I kept the weight off for 2 years, with healthy eating. And then I had a crisis and blew it!

For some reason fasting is the only thing that curbs my sweet tooth and also makes me NOT want to eat all the time. I think it is because it sensitizes my body to insulin again. I have read lots of studies. And of course walked through it myself. It's not for everyone. But also I can not eat anything on fasting days or the need to binge will be triggered. Some people just restrict their calories severely during a fast eating lightly. I can not do that for some reason.

I find it easier to avoid the kitchen and keep busy during the day....and it's not hard for me at all.

Thanks for the concern and support. I have tried many different things I just never have success. This is one thing even though everyone boos--I have had success in the past with and I stick to.

I am also thinking about dropping my meat intake a lot more. For some reason I always weigh less as a vegetarian. or a lacto-ovo fish eating vegetarian.

i Need to ask some of the other vegetarians about this too. Nice to meet you guys!
Hey there! I've read a lot about Intermittent Fasting as well and there seems to be a bunch of research that supports this lifestyle. I tried it for a bit and it definitely helped as long as I was able to maintain it.

http://www.fast-5.com/

This site/company in particular has some helpful information.

The trouble for me was that it didn't really deal with the core issues that manifested themselves in food. Once I stopped fasting, I still overate b.c eating for me isn't just about the food.

If you can use this method to get yourself to a comfortable weight then more power to you, but you might also want to take a look at some of the root causes of your struggles with food.

Wishing you health!
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #7  

hey thanks, yeah..it is a method for me to get from point A to B..namely weight loss. When I did it last time. I did not have any issues because like I said I was much healthier didn't want junk food and just really felt good about myself.

I already take a multivitamin. My fare during the fasting is low sodium v8 and almond milk, and green tea.

i know why I eat/binge. it is because I am bored, because I am upset, or something.

However, there is another reason and I Think it has to do with insulin sensitivity why I have a hard time losing weight.

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #8  

Default re:

well yesterday I was so busy...but I ate comparitively LESS than what I normally would eat on my regular diet.

I read the fast 5. That would be a good way that I could still eat dinner with my family.

It is very very similar in premise to the other diet that I found successful "carbohydrate addict's diet". except you limited your food to only no carbs. Then for a specified period called your "reward meal" you ate what you wanted for an hour.

I know there are many , many variations of IF.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7''

boths plans (Fast5 and CarboHydrate Addicted) seem very interesting, thank you for posting
I'm slowly learning about insuline and sugar intake... I never thought about it, I've always been stick to calories or junk/healthy... I'm really considering a plan based on the insuline issue...
I just wonder if the fasting might be a little be too much for me, since I have just few pounds to lose. I don't want to stress my body too much, or to put too much effort. Maybe a GI or zone diet would be more suitable, I guess.
Julietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #10  

julietta, I think the fast 5 would be the perfect one for you because you do have so little to lose. I don't think it stresses your body too much. Of course people might not agree with me, but there is scientific evidence that the stress fasting puts on your body is light and good for your body.

the fast 5 and the ADF, as well as atkins make you use ketones. so you will be burning fat. As long as you give it protein. I HATE atkins...I always feel so toxic just eating meat and fat although you do get to eat veggies, you have to watch your intake..I always get the shakes, headaches, and irritability on atkins.

the GI is pretty good for the insulin issue too.