General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Default Missing You (from TBG)

Hi Fellow 3FC'ers.

I am on day five of my trip.

You may remember I posted for help planning for it--food wise. I wanted to tell everyone "Thank you" that posted back to me.

My exercise has continued. I have been running on a track each morning. I also went to the lake on Saturday for a swim and am going again this Saturday. Plus, with two kids on my own (hubby had to stay home for work) I am staying extremely busy and active with just the upkeep of everything on my own.

My adoptive mom unfortunately has gained a vast amount of weight since I saw her last summer. I think she must be over 400 and it is breaking my heart. Her movements are so very compromised as her breathing. I am trying HARD not to do things for her. My fear is that she will become immobile. Yesterday I noticed a couple staring at her and talking and then looking back at her. As much as I wanted to be ladylike I was SOOOOO tempted to go over and say something when she left for the bathroom. Instead I just waited for them to do it one last time and I looked over at them straight in the eye and gave them my "death" look. Her house is loaded with garbage and each time we eat out it's a buffet.

She does say she wants to take off some weight and I know it's hard. Buffets and all this crap in her house can't do it though. She said the garbage in her house is for her Dad that stops by and therefore she can't get rid of it?????

I have been finding good choices at the buffet though. I load my plate with gobs and gobs of peppers, tomatoes, carrots and broccoli and just use my dressing for the dipping--I brought my own dressing LOL. I am definitely a FREAK because the vast majority on the buffet is fried EVERYTHING. Yesterday there was a bunch of fat floating on all the veggies! BLECH!

I brought my Hungry Girl cookbook with me--200 under 200. I made the butternut hashbrowns last night and OMG--FABULOUS! I couldn't believe it was just squash. My adoptive mom actually ate them too and liked them. I also made the Shiratake Alfredo the other night and she also liked it. There are some really good ideas in there. My only complaint about it is that she uses lots of processed items I don't typically purchase. I will use her book a couple of times a week though.

Okay, I have rambled long enough. I just wanted to say hello. I miss ya'll so much.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #2  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

You sound like you are doing well on your trip. Just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully things will come together for your mom, too. We miss you too!!
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #3  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

Glad your trip is going well. yay for planning!
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Prayers for your mom TBG and keep enjoying the time the best you can!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #5  

Hi and keep up the good work!

Hopefully you will be an inspiration to your Mom!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

You are in a minefield and doing fine! We miss you!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #7  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Thighs! Hi! I've been thinking of you and wondering how you were doing. Hope your mom can benefit from and be inspired by your healthier cooking during your time there.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #8  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hey there! It just breaks one's heart when we see people we love in pain, especially when we know in our hearts that they have the power to change their situation. It sounds like your plan is working, and she's enjoying some of the things you are cooking.
Take pleasure in the SMALL victories, and keep your compassionate coat on. You are TOTALLY setting a positive example, and you are doing GREAT!!!

We miss you here!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey Ladies. Wow--how nice it is to come here and see some replies. Thank you for that. Yesterday we went to two gorgeous "swimming holes" and what a relief it is to relax in the country out of the rat race for a while.

I have wonderful news. First off, I am doing well on my own journey. I am keeping up with my running and doing okay on food.

Now, the REALLY wonderful news. My adoptive mom is now eating MY FOOD! She is not one to sneak either! She is almost on day FOUR without cheating! She is eating mostly whole foods with some "crutches." She says she is not hungry, feels satiated and best of all, has lost FOUR pounds in the four days!

In addition, she is really trying hard to do for herself! She is cleaning up her dishes and her sitting area (big chair and table beside it). I talked to her about the importance of slowing down and just trying to take care of yourself and your area. Now, if I could just find a way to discuss daily personal hygeine and it's importance! She has only taken a shower once since we have been here. I GET that it's hard. But, it must be done.

By the way, butternut squash makes the best hashbrowns I have ever, ever tasted. I just grated it and put in salt, pepper and Vidalia onions. OMG! FAB!

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 06-21-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #10  

Height: 5'11"

The hashbrowns sound wonderful, TBG--thanks! I'm encouraged to hear that your mom is open to eating more healthfully and is moving around a little more. It sounds as if her weight may be combined with depression, which can become a self-perpetuating spiral downwards. So it's good that you are there helping to stop the spiral and get her pointed in the right direction.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote