Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #1  
Bringin' Sexy Back!

Default Is there anything I can take before exercising to..

help me be energetic?!

After working for 7 hours a day, I want to workout an hour, like 3 days a week as minimum. I find myself without energy once I reach home, so I would like to find out something that could give me energy? I wish I could take red bull, but I stopped drinking it.

Any suggestions?
suzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Rather than trying to find the energy to work out for an hour after a long day's work, why not just set a goal of 20-30 minutes every day. Then once you start if your energy picks up you can work out longer, and if not you can stop after the 20 or 30 minutes.

And even if you have no energy, do it anyway. Put on your shoes and go out for a walk. You'll probably find that once you start you just keep going.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Perhaps a cup of coffee in the late afternoon? You can google caffeine and sports performance for more information about the pros and cons.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #4  
Samantha

S/C/G: 200/159/150

Height: 5'7"

I get up early to exercise before I go to work. Get it out of the way. If I waited until after I put in a full workday, I would never get in the exercise I need. Plus, doing your exercise in the morning will boost your metabolism all day long, and if you wait, you may have a hard time falling asleep.
Samantha100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #5  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

try having a bananna about twenty minutes before you work out, they have a high sugar content, and patasium. they will give you a burst of energy. I take a vitiam called AM/PM..they have seemed to help me keep my energy level up.

just make sure you dont have anything to heavy to eat before, and always make sure you have lots of water with you.

ang
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have a cup of black coffee.

Also ... I give myself permission to do a shortened version. I'm allowed to do 17 minutes instead of 20 on the elliptical. But ya know what? ... I usually just soldier on for the full amount. It's never so bad after I get going.

Oh I just thought of something. If it has been a long time since I've eaten, I have a yogurt first.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #7  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

eat a carb!! Instant workout energy-- piece of fruit, small bagel with honey, whatever......it will fuel your workouts..
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #8  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

And don't forget that although you will be tired at the start, your stamina will develop and increase. Boosts to your energy levels through caffiene, for example, may actually not help in the long term.
I personally would work through it, push through it, and see how I feel after a month...

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #9  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I take a b-complex vitamin every afternoon, about 2 hours before I want to work out. It gives me a lot of energy.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:53 AM   #10  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

If I'm really dragging and want to work out in the afternoon, I'll get my Starbucks skinny iced latte for a boost. It's basically caffeine and skim milk so you get a little protein/carbs too. I just try not to do that too often, because I don't want to get dependent on that afternoon cup of coffee. But for an *occasional* boost, it works like a charm.

Also, usually, when I'm dragging, once I get going on my work out I really perk up. You can try just going anyway and telling yourself that it will be a short/easy workout (just start!) and you may find that you feel much better and can keep going through the entire workout. I usually feel much more energetic after my workout than before!!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Boosts to your energy levels through caffiene, for example, may actually not help in the long term.
This actually isn't true. Caffeine, particularly in supplement form, has been used for a long long time to increase sports performance. People who have ingested it can perform their workouts at a higher intensity for a longer period of time. That'll improve physical fitness more than forcing through for a while, meaning you'll be more fit at a faster rate. It doesn't have many benefits for short term exercise (like sprinting) but improves endurance on longer bouts. Obviously, exercise longer = bigger calorie deficit = more weight loss, which will probably help a lot more with the tiredness than any supplement.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #12  
South Beach Babe

S/C/G: 180/ticker/140

One thing you may want to consider about caffeine...if you have high or bad cholesterol levels it's encouraged to stay away from caffeine. I usually eat a protein bar after work to get me going It's VERY tough some days, but I'm trying to stick with it too. We can do it!
TinaTiny82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh, yes, I should have mentioned...obviously anyone with a caffeine sensitivity or medical issue shouldn't take it just to make their workouts better! If I worked out at night, for example, caffeine would be a definite no-no...being up all night would NOT be conducive to having more energy.

I'm curious, though, where you get the info about caffeine and cholesterol? I know there's a correlation between unfiltered coffee (french press/espresso) and raising cholesterol, but haven't seen anything on caffeine in general or filtered coffees. There is even some evidence that small amounts of daily caffeine can reduce the risk somewhat of Alzheimers in patients with high cholesterol (which is higher than in those with normal cholesterol). Of course, individual people have found that, for them, cutting coffee tends to cut cholesterol levels, so those people (like those with medical issues) should avoid it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #14  
South Beach Babe

S/C/G: 180/ticker/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Oh, yes, I should have mentioned...obviously anyone with a caffeine sensitivity or medical issue shouldn't take it just to make their workouts better! If I worked out at night, for example, caffeine would be a definite no-no...being up all night would NOT be conducive to having more energy.

I'm curious, though, where you get the info about caffeine and cholesterol? I know there's a correlation between unfiltered coffee (french press/espresso) and raising cholesterol, but haven't seen anything on caffeine in general or filtered coffees. There is even some evidence that small amounts of daily caffeine can reduce the risk somewhat of Alzheimers in patients with high cholesterol (which is higher than in those with normal cholesterol). Of course, individual people have found that, for them, cutting coffee tends to cut cholesterol levels, so those people (like those with medical issues) should avoid it.
Oh sure! Well, I had a check up recently at my work (physicians were giving free, basic exams through our insurance) and they told me my cholesterol was very high and told me several steps to help bring the number down. Among those suggestions were exercise, eat healthier and reduce caffeine intake. I don't know if it's accurate, but that's what the physicians told me. I got pamphlets about it too, but it would be interesting to see where they are getting their alleged facts.

Last edited by TinaTiny82; 06-11-2009 at 11:38 PM.
TinaTiny82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #15  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

My concern about caffeine is its addictive nature. I'm already dependent on my one (large) morning cup of coffee, without it I get headaches and feel lethargic. If I made an afternoon "pick me up" cup a habit too, then pretty soon I'd feel bad *without* it.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote