Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-08-2009, 04:37 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: June 8 - 14

Wow, what a non-weekend! It was fun but I didn't get anything done and I'm tired. Not a great way to start the week! DS was racing cars both days and DH was autocrossing (driving a twisty course set out with traffic cones at top speed) in the same location so I went to help and watch.

Never again will I ride with DH when he's autocrossing! We whipped around the first turn and I thought I was going to lose my lunch. Worse than an amusement park ride.

DS came in second in both the races he drove and sixth in the enduro race he co-drove (the other driver clipped a tire wall). Not bad for his first time driving his car and first time on this particular track. My job was to switch the oil tank lever over to get the car started (starting a race car is a lot different than starting a street car). I had to hang through the side window and over the roll cage to do it.

And I was struck by the realization that there's no way I could have done this at 257 pounds. Nor would I have been able to run around all day from the autocross course to the race track and back again. Or even fit into the autocross car racing seat. Funny how the things I take for granted now wouldn't have happened eight years ago. Back then, I would have been embarrassed and self-conscious about my size. As it was, I didn't give a thought to how I looked (a greasy, sweaty mess!) all day. I didn't worry about my stomach sticking out, will I break this folding chair? or am I the largest woman here? I simply threw on a pair of jeans, Tshirt, sunscreen, and had a fantastic day. That's living my life!

I encountered an odd situation regarding food. There wasn't any food at the track so I packed a lot of healthy stuff for myself since our motto is Be Prepared, right? Unfortunately, DS wasn't prepared. And he was racing and is diabetic so I gave him the food I packed. So about six hours after I was there yesterday, I was S-T-A-R-V-I-N-G and the only thing to eat was a box of donuts in the pit. The last thing I wanted to eat was a donut but I was getting lightheaded and had to eat something so I ate one. It didn't taste good and I didn't enjoy it, which is so weird because donuts used to be my #1 problem food. I still can remember the last donut I ate before this one -- October 2004. So it's been five years. I never, ever thought I'd get over my lust for donuts, but apparently I have. Or maybe it's just the ones covered in motor oil?

Anyway, my calories for the day were fine and I came home and had hummus, a whole wheat pita, and tomato soup. I'm just puzzled but very happy that the donut tasted terrible to me.

It's going to be a crazy week. I work Monday through Thursday, then leave for a graduation in Chicago on Friday. DH can't come because he's leaving for Europe before I get back, so I have to get us both ready for our trips, leave food and cat instructions for him, and get the house somewhat cleaned up. But the gym is first up this morning -- we'll see if the donut gives me Super Powers.

So that was my wild and crazy weekend! How about you -- what's going on in your world?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:17 AM   #2  
No description available.

Oh, man! First one to post after Meg---it must be EARLY!

I'm off to France for two weeks. I have my running shoes and some bands. I made the choice to have a green chile cheeseburger last night and I feel icky today---not a great way to start the journey! But I'm looking forward to lots of walking and healthy fresh foods.

DH is telling me to get going! See ya'll later!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #3  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Wow Meg, my week-end was really tame compared to yours! And now you know that you need never be tempted by a donut again!

After a couple of weeks of really bad stress eating I find myself up 10 pounds over my redline. The good news is that I have already dropped 6 pounds in just two days back on plan. Holy bloat, Batman! I will have a tough exercise week this week because my son is in camp and the drop off and pick up will cut into my gym time. I will do my best, though.

Have a great, on-plan week, everyone!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:24 AM   #4  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Ooh - midwife! Have a great trip! I am so jealous.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Meg, what a busy weekend! I have a lot of foods I used to love but I now think are gross (like those mini blueberry muffins that come in a snack pack? Yuck!).

Midwife, have fun in France! Tell us all about it when you get back!

Ward, good luck getting back under that red line! I'm currently 10lbs over red line myself. Hopefully I'll be back under soon!

My weekend was somehow busy without accomplishing much. Saturday morning was spent at the farmer's market and then driving to two different grocery stores (we had to go to the Asian market since they have 50lb bags of rice for $35, and our usual grocery store only sells the little 2.5-lb bags for like $10). Then I spent the afternoon prepping Coq au Vin to marinate overnight for our cooking club Sunday, then we met some friends for dinner before going to the symphony. Phew! Sunday morning DH and I went swimming at our community pool, then spent the rest of the day cooking Coq au Vin before our cooking club dinner.

I'm so happy that our community pool is empty Sunday mornings. I love not having to drive 25 minutes and pay $10 to swim laps!

My weight is up again. I had hoped to finally be past that plateau and lose 1lb, but sadly it didn't happen. Sigh. Will I ever lose this weight? At least I know I'm gaining muscle right now -- I tried on my bikini and it looked okay so I can't have *too* much belly fat!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #6  
Workin' It

Good morning!

Meg - Sounds like you had fun this weekend, even with the food weird! Congrats to DS!

Midwife - have a great trip!

Ward - Glad 6 of the 10 have come off! Good luck with your gym and camp schedule this week.

I had a decent weekend foodwise. Went to visit my grandmother who came home from the hospital, so ate a couple of snacky things there, but kept hte calories in line. My grandfather sent me home with three bags of veggies (butterbeans, peas, okra, tomatoes, corn) frozen fresh from his garden, another big bag of yellow squash and some canned green beans. Woo hoo!

I got up and exercised this morning. Might not make tomorrow - DSS has a dentist appointment early and I may be the one taking him. Four year old getting a cavity filled - already tried one general dentist who couldn't do it, so this one tomorrow is with a pediatric dentist. Hope it goes better.

Have a good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I had a great weekend.

Saturday I spent the majority of the day downloading CD's into my computer (iTunes) so I could then upload them to my new iPod. I used to have a 4 gig model and upgraded to the 120 gig so basically everything I own can be on the iPod. I managed to get all the remaining jazz CD's uploaded. It'll take a couple weekends of doing this to get the rest of my pop and rock stuff done. I think I'll wait to do Christmas for another time!

Saturday my friend from SLC called. She, her BF, DD and his 2 kids were coming into town for a vacation. So we had them over for dinner and had a great time. They didn't know anything about literal videos, and since Glory had posted a new hilarious one on her FB, I had to share that along with a bunch of other fascinating videos I've stumbled upon. We had a great time and I did fine with food (salmon, salad, pasta side) and had only a small piece of chocolate cake that my friend brought. I probably had a little too much alcohol, but i didn't have to drive!

Sunday was a total waste of a day. I should have done a Costco run (will go after work today instead). I didn't accomplish a single thing except trimming the dog's nails. We usually go to a movie but no one was into going so we just lounged all day long. It was actually quite relaxing except that when bedtime came around I wasn't tired at all and spent over 2 hours trying to fall asleep. Then DH kept waking me up with his snoring. So of course today, after probably only 2 hours of sleep, I'm exhausted.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

wow, racecars and France! Exciting things going on here! Meg, that is great about the donut... I think I'll still always love fried food but we'll see!

My brother made dinner for the family last night and he is a great cook, but he used at least half a pound of butter. He told me he was going to add "just a smidge" more butter to the broccoli, but when I peeked in the pan there were about 2 or 3 tablespoons he'd added! yikes!! I walked about 2 miles after dinner and am hitting the gym for sure tonight!

I hope everyone has a great week. =)
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #9  
Workin' It

I took a box of Krispy Kreme's to the reheb center the weekend before last when I went to see my grandmother (I know, I take pastry from Panera to the hospital two days then KK to rehab, way to enable healthy eating there, Shan... ) and of course I ate one. Not as good as I remembered - sticky, way too sweet, felt like it was a waste of calories. Now, the Panera pastry I ate was lovely... not going to be able to avoid that because I don't like it anymore.... but at least I can avoid the Krispy Kreme...
Old 06-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Butter on veggies is a total turn off to me now. Sometimes at restaurants you order a side of veggies thinking it's a good, healthy side and it's dripping with butter. Not that I dislike butter, but I'd rather have them sauteed with a little Pam or broiled with a little olive oil. I don't think my tummy can handle the rich butter any more. And some sauces are a total turn off, too (like Alfredo sauce--I can't stomach that at all).

I haven't had a Krispy Kreme in years because I won't eat them unless they are fresh off the conveyor belt and the only KK around here is over 50 miles away so the stores that sell them are selling donuts that are hours old and not my idea of a treat. I guess that's a good thing! I remember my first KK. My son was 2 or 3, we were in Texas visiting my sister and she took us there. They gave each of the kids a free donut right off the belt and my son dutifully took his and thanked them and turned to me to say he didn't like them. I knew he'd never had a donut, so I told him he had to try it before he said he didn't like it. Suddenly it was gone and he went on to eat 2 or 3 more! He's never passed up a donut since!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #11  
Workin' It

I have avoided the KK when the "hot donuts" sign is on for years... I think I would still like them right off the belt, so that avoidance isn't going to change...

I ask for no butter now when I order veggies - I am also surprised at how many places list them as a healthy option but then drown them in butter... yuck.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone!
Monday is almost over and I'm late getting to the forum.
Everyone looks like they had fun weekends!

Meg-- that is awesome that you physically able to do things you couldn't do before without giving it a second thought!

Shannon-- I've never liked KK. Too sickly sweet for me but I'll take Panera any day! I hope your stepson does better with the pediatric dentist. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him.

Midwife-- I'm jealous of your trip too!

Hi to everyone else. I am too tired to respond individually. My doggie was sick yesterday and during the night and I'm wiped out. I started my new class today and am overwhelmed with that and the last week of school.

Pat-- I need to interview someone for my class. Do you do any acquisitions for your library? If so, maybe I could interview you???

I'll post more later in the week. Too exhausted to remember what I did this weekend or what I'm doing this week and I need to read the syllabus for my class and get started.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

Michele - I do ALL the adult acquisitions for the library. I'd be delighted to be interviewed (and have been by a number of MLS students around here, mostly school librarians as well). Why don't you PM me with the questions, or I can PM you my email and you can send them that way? Let me know when.

Tomorrow I'm speaking at the Lions Club about libraries. THey didn't really give me any direction, so I'm choosing one! It's only for half hour or so, and frankly I don't expect it to go that long.

Had a good workout tonight - DH was out so I stayed as long as I needed, and had time (before) to return something to Wal-Mart.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #14  
Meg

Good morning! Midwife, you're probably already gone, but have a great trip!

So true about never being tempted by a donut again. All I have to do is think about one now and the first thing that comes to mind is "gross". The longer I go without tasting something, the easier it is for me to resist. I guess five years was long enough to cure me of my donut obsession!!

I get so annoyed at restaurants that put butter on veggies too! There are so few good choices available in restaurants and then they have to go and make veggies high calorie! But I read that adding fat is the cheapest way to make food taste good and that's all they care about. So they ladle fat on everything. What's left -- a bowl of plain lettuce?

Jessica, don't get down about your weight. Try to focus on clothes size, measurements, and body comp instead. The scale isn't a very good guide when we get close to our goal weights. Just look at our group here and our different weights and sizes! If you're looking good in your bikini, then you're doing something right!

Michele, good luck with class and the end of school!

I've been doing too much clothes shopping lately. Maybe we'll have to start a new clothes thread! After thinking about the long sun dress trend for a while, I bought one this weekend. Black and white cotton print, tiered skirt, almost floor length. I'm wearing it to work today with a white crocheted cardigan, black sandals with white flowers on them, and a black and white necklace. When I was in Macys yesterday for a quick return, I saw a skirt on the way out that I've been coveting since:

I just love the colors and have a hot pink cardigan that would work perfectly. Hmm ....

Got to jump into my gym clothes and get going! Have a great day!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #15  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

LOL Meg, I don't know if I'd say I'm looking "good" in my bikini, more like "acceptable"!

Michele, I hope your doggie is feeling better! My dog seems to be recovered from his leg injury so I'm planning to take him to doggie bootcamp tonight. Hopefully he won't get re-injured since we're taking him on vacation this weekend and there will be much walking!

Speaking of which, I'm taking a vacation this weekend! Only one day off work, but still. DH and I are taking the dog up to Michigan (Saugatuck/Holland area). Food options probably won't be all great, but we're planning to get a lot of exercise. Vacationing with the dog means lots of walking, hiking, and hopefully swimming! We're driving up on Friday and back Sunday. So far the weather forecast looks good so I'm crossing my fingers.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote