Old 06-08-2009, 12:47 AM   #1  
NEVER been a skinny girl

S/C/G: 218/191/160

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy And reality sets in....

So...I'm doin great on my weight loss journey. It's been a little over four months and I am down thirty-three pounds. Not half bad by my estimate. It has been difficult once in a while, but I have managed to do it. So why am I not satisfied? I look in the mirror and I don't look like what I thought I would look like thirty pounds slimmer. I think I remember weighing in once in high school at 174. That's only eleven pounds less than what I am now but I seem to remember being a size 12 then. (I can still wear my size 16 pants though they MUST have a belt.) What's going on???? If this is what I look like halfway to my goal weight, I'm afraid 160 won't give me the body I'm looking for. Has anyone else gone through this?
gaarmywife2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I wouldnt worry too much The smaller you get, the bigger the difference each pound seems to make in terms of how you look at what size you are. Have you tried comparing photos from now and 33 pounds ago? It might be that you just cant see it. I didnt see it until i compared pictures and people pointed the differences out to me
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:44 AM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I am not 20 something but I can relate to what you are saying. I started out weighing 190 4 months ago and now weigh in at 136. My clothes tell me that I am a lot smaller. I wear size 6 and some size 4 jeans instead of 14/16. But I still don't have the body I thought I would at this point. Tummy and thighs too big still, LOL But others tell me how thin I am. I think the problem we have is our own mental image of ourselves. I wish I knew how to change that. BTW, congrats on your loss so far, you are doing a fabulous job!
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I know exactly how you feel! Logically, I know I've lost weight and have gone down a size, but some days (usually after I eat salt and feel bloated, or am just having a bad day), I feel like I haven't changed a bit and I get really upset. What helps me most on those days is getting in a great workout, taking a nice long shower and just moving on with my life. We're doing amazing things for our bodies, no matter what the scale says, and sometimes you have to cut yourself a little slack and pat yourself on the back for how far you've come!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
The smaller you get, the bigger the difference each pound seems to make in terms of how you look at what size you are.
I`ve dieted in the past and feel that this is true. For ages it seems like the only gratification you get is on the scales.

Then all over sudden, you decide it`s time for new clothes, in a smaller size. You put them on, they fit, and then - then you notice that you look indeed so much different!

And then it suddenly seems to happen all ad once. Very shortly after that, you notice that your waist is smaller, your tummy flatter and your legs more toned. You go down another size and have to take in your belt. Other people start to notice and everybody asks you about it.

I truely feel that you can "hide" even significant weight loss for quite a while by wearing the same old clothes. As you have lost so much, I`m sure you`ve gone down more than 3 dress sizes, so treat yourself to a new outfit and look at yourself! :-)
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:02 AM   #6  
Master Water Retainer

S/C/G: 205/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Then all over sudden, you decide it`s time for new clothes, in a smaller size. You put them on, they fit, and then - then you notice that you look indeed so much different!

And then it suddenly seems to happen all ad once. Very shortly after that, you notice that your waist is smaller, your tummy flatter and your legs more toned. You go down another size and have to take in your belt. Other people start to notice and everybody asks you about it.
In my experience, this is EXACTLY how it happens. I went fro 205 to 172 (size 18 to size 16) and felt absolutely no difference at all. Then at around 170, I discovered I fit comfortably into size 14s. I got some new pants, a few new shirts, and all of a sudden I could see the difference. For 33 pounds I didn't feel or see any difference, but now every time I look in the mirror I smile.

Last edited by RubyGuggenheim; 06-08-2009 at 07:02 AM.
RubyGuggenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #7  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

i know exactly how you feel! i've lost 35 lbs, wear the same clothes as when i was 196...and the only measurements that have changed are my waist is smaller...and my upper thighs are bigger! This is not at all what I thought would happen when I lost the weight. It's super frustrating. I just keep telling myself, regardless of the numbers, I'm getting healthier and ensuring I will live a longer, fuller life.
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote