Old 06-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Oops!

Had a run-in with a bag of cheddar cheese rice cakes last night! Apparently I have found yet another food that I really can't keep in the house or I'll eat the whole bag in one sitting. Embarrassing! It only put me over by 200 cal yesterday but still! I ran 4 miles this morning to make up for it. Have any of you found that as you make more progress and develop new habits that you can actually have some of your trigger foods around and eat them in small quanitities or is it goodbye forever?
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

I have done that with the rice cakes. They are so good! At least it wasn't like a bag of full fat potato chips, right?

I can't answer the question about progress. I'm trying to remember when I had lost weight in the past and had really developed good habits...I think I still bought a lot of portion-controlled foods back then too. But, unlike now when I'm still tempted to go back for a second pre-packaged whatever, I was able to walk away.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The rice cakes are out of the question for me. I tried the caramel ones and the chocolate drizzle ones. Nu-uh. Can't do them. They are pure air food to me and give me zero satisfaction and hence - I can devour the whole bag in seconds flat. NOT WORTH IT!

Quote:
Have any of you found that as you make more progress and develop new habits that you can actually have some of your trigger foods around and eat them in small quantities or is it goodbye forever?
There are certain foods that will never, ever make its way back into my home. And I'm 1000% fine with that. Now that I'm in maintenance, when I want a splurge, I do it outside of my home, in a controlled setting. No going back for seconds or leftovers.

For me, it wasn't only about the calories, but that out-of-control feeling. So, I wouldn't worry about "trying to make up for it". I'm sure the damage was minimal and what's done is done. Lesson learned.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It's a "yes but" answer. Yes, you can let some foods back in your life as time goes on. But, not for months, maybe years. For some foods, maybe never.

Doritos are a food I couldn't have in the house. These days, I can buy a bag from time to time, but I divide the bag into 1-ounce portions in individual zipper sandwich bags, and keep all the bags in a gallon zipper bag, and put the big bag on the top shelf of the cupboard. Out of sight is mostly out of mind, and when I do remember them, they are already in the correct serving size.

I could not have done this one month into my weight loss program.

Ice cream--it's better if I just don't have it in the house. Period. If I want some, I go to an ice cream place.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #5  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

Yesterday I bought a bag of Mary's Gone Crackers - Sticks and Twigs to bring to a BBQ. I brought the leftovers home with me (2 hr drive). I was snacking in the car and I had a hard time stopping my hand from grabbing an extra scoop. I KNOW this was bad to do but I had to throw the bag out the window so I would stop snacking.
http://www.marysgonecrackers.com/ns/products.php#sticks
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

I probably would have just pulled over and put them in the trunk myself...
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote