Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-05-2009, 12:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Need support/kick in the butt

Hey everyone. I've been having a rough day and figured this could be a good place to let it all out since you are all so sweet and supportive! I've been doing really well for 2 months now, controlling everything I eat, writing it down, exercising, etc. but today was the first day I caught a glimpse of the old, out of control eater that I used to be and it totally freaked me out. I have a huge final tomorrow and have been studying like crazy all week (though still eating well and exercising) but today I was STARVING, literally all day, after anything I ate, and though I only went up to 1500 cals (about 150 more than normal), it was more the feeling of just wanting to eat everything in sight that prompted this post. I was hoping that desire to want to stuff my face would eventually fade, like my cravings for the crappy food I used to eat before mostly has, but do you find that you still have the urge? What's the best way to push past that?

I think I just need a butt-kicking before moving into the weekend and facing the temptation to just celebrate the end of finals like I would before - completely losing count of how many drinks I've had and then eating junk food before going to bed. I DON'T want that and I know I have it in me to not give in, but a little encouragement never hurt anyone!

Thanks for listening!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:23 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Look, sometimes we ALL have those days. Like the days where you have a lot of stuff to do, and you just want to stay in bed. Or the days where you want to stay out with your friends, but you have to get up early in the morning. Or the days when you're EXHAUSTED, but you have a paper or a final coming up, and you have to stay up and get it done. EVERYONE has days they have to do things that they don't -really- want to do, or find easy.

The fact of the matter is, you were an adult in this situation. Despite not wanting to do it, you kept an eye on what you were eating, and you behaved like a grown up. It's very easy with weight (and with other things) to resort to "child mentality" - thinking "I'm TIRED, I'm CRANKY, and I WANT A COOKIE". But just because you have the thoughts, you don't have to give in, and you didn't.

This isn't a failure, or ANY cause for a kick in the butt. This is a VICTORY. And you'll continue to make those adult decisions, through the weekend, because you've done it before, and every time you do it, it gets easier.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:36 AM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

Wow, I think you actually handled that AMAZINGLY well!
You only went up 150 cals from what you normally eat. And frankly, the hunger pangs you are experiencing could be coming from a number of sources. I have a few days around my TOM where I turn into a bottomless pit, no matter how much or what kind of food I chuck at my stomach it will not satisfy.
And there is something to be said for throwing in a couple of higher calorie days (within boundaries ofcourse) every so often, it can trigger a weight loss.
SO have a lot of fun after your final, don't go bananas on the food and drink this weekend, but do allow yourself a fun time (and you can have fun without overeating or drinking too much)
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:58 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 3"

I am going to take your word about the butt-kicking because I had days when I wished someone would do that to me.

Don't set it aside as "something that happens to everyone". Formulate a plan to handle those moments. Have some sugar-free gum in hand and start chewing that when you have those urges. Drink water. Get out of the house/dorm even if it is for 5 mins. Try out many things and see which is the most effective. Do not find excuses. I am not saying that having those urges itself are bad/failure etc. It is not under your control. But doing something to get rid of it/counter it is in your hands.

Hope I was not too hard on you and congrats on handling it well this time.
willgethealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

I still have days like that. Most the time it's a matter of fighting the urges to eat although some days I manage to eat the right amount of calories and still feeling like I'm eating everything in sight (fortunate on those days I only want to snack on fruit and salad at the moment). I write down everything I eat and constantly remind myself it's worth the effort to fight the urges to eat like that.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

You guys are the best! Thank you! That was EXACTLY what I needed. I managed to resist pizza, cookies and bagels and stuck with my almonds as a snack during the test and am now done with my first year of med school! I've budgeted in a few drinks for this evening so I can celebrate but still say on plan. Now if only the scale would reward me for my efforts...Thanks again!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 193/169/145

Height: 5'6"

We can't control the urges, but we can control how we react to them. I agree w/previous post to have sf gum at the ready (I carry some in my pocket, purse & pantry) when the ol' sweet tooth strikes-- every day, actually which helps sometimes.

But don't be too hard on yourself for being human. I'm still trying to figure it out too. I'll be fine for days, then for some reason my mind goes crazy, thinking about the goodies that got me here in the 1st place. Sometimes it'll pass, and sometimes you just have to give in... in a smart & moderate way.

I think reaching out for support, like you did here, is a powerful tool as well. Hang in there!!
kellygram is offline   Reply With Quote