Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/178/145

Height: 5'8''

Default I don't get it! (Not losing weight)

Ok..
So I need support. I'm not sure if I'm just being impatient (it's possible), but I don't get why I'm not losing weight when for the past week I have put in a lot of work exercise-wise and REALLY cleaned up my diet. Actually, I could deal with the not losing.. but I feel even FATTER, my pants feel tighter, and I don't know why. I have been biking every day, and speed walking, stopped pigging out at night, and eating smaller portions/healthier food... But I'm still at the same weight, and feeling fatter for some reason. Am I just being impatient? Is there a delay, will these pounds eventually start coming off?
naf1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

OK, a couple questions.

What are you eating? What does a sample day look like? Are you counting your calories? How little exercise were you getting before, and are your muscles sore?

There are a lot of reasons the scale might delay dropping. The two immediately popping to mind are that you're eating too much/not enough, or that your muscles are swollen from the increased exercise and need to recover a bit.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #3  

I've been eating between 900 and 1400 calories a day, that's down from probably close to 2000 or more a day..

Here's just a sample day (I've been calorie counting)

Breakfast
Carrot with yogurt dip- 65 cals
Banana- 90 cals

Lunch
Carrot w/ yogurt dip- 65 cals
Apple- 70 cals
4 saltine crackers- 15 cals

Dinner
Stir fry with tofu & spinach salad- estimating 500 cals
1/2 roll- 70 cals

before, I was getting very little exercise (maybe a brisk 20 minute walk a day) my muscles are a bit sore now..
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Too low!

Your body is NOT going to be happy with you eating less than 1200 calories a day, particularly since you're really close to a healthy weight for your height. I would recommend upping your calories to at least 1400, then seeing where your weight goes. If it stays the same, go down to 1300 and try that for two weeks. If it goes down, stay at 1400.

The basic explanation is that, when you reduce your calories to a level that low, your body goes into a bit of a panic. It says "hey, we're eating WAY too little! We better conserve!" As a result, losses stop or even become gains.

Some of the loss will increase, too, as your muscles become less sore.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like you are not eating enough. Your body thinks you are starving so it is holding onto the weight instead of letting it go. Try increasing your calories. You probably should not dip below 1200 calories.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #6  

Thank you for the advice!! I guess I found it a little hard to believe.. thinking if I was eating so little then I should definitely have been losing a lot, but I hadn't realized that my body would go into conservation mode. I will definitely up the intake!!
Old 06-03-2009, 02:27 AM   #7  

I have been in your boat the last couple of weeks. For me, my calories were too low. It seems weird but true. I upped my calories today to 1800 and the scale finally moved down a little. It's counter-intuitive but true.

Also- don't forget what Mandalin said about exercise and the effect on the muscles. I added in weight training last week and saw my weight jump up 2 lbs. overnight. It's slowly going back down but I think the change in exercise regimen caused a water weight gain.

It is frustrating to work hard and see things stall out. Just keep playing around with your calories until you find what works based on your activity level.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:41 AM   #8  

all i can say is loosing weight is never easy like gaining wait.
Burnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

I'd say too low too - and I know you said it's a sample day but do you really want carrot with yogurt dip for breakfast and for lunch? Try and add more variety if you're eating like that every day.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Wow, no snacks? I couldn't survive without snacks. And it doesn't look like you get in a lot of protein (vegetarian?). You might want to think about adding in some nuts or nut butters for protein and healthy fat. Kick out those saltines and put a little peanut butter on your apple!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #11  

You'll not lose weight eating that! Deficient in calories, healthy fats, protein and dairy. Good advice above.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

How recently did you start this diet? The first few weeks are really rocky, no matter what you do. The body's fighting you to keep at the weight it's used to. The human body hates nothing more than change, and will resist it every step of the way. It's like dragging a donkey up a hill. But eventually it'll get the right idea and work with you.

Sometimes it takes the body a while to catch up with the new lifestyle. Patience is your most important virtue right now. As long as you're sure that you're counting your calories correctly and creating a healthy deficit just wait it out, and good things will happen.

You feel worse about your body because you're paying more attention to it now. I have the same problem... I've lost 25 lbs, but I feel worse than ever. But I know it's just in my head. View it as a good sign. You're being more aware, and concentrating on your diet. That's much better than just ignoring it and hoping it'll go away.

I would agree with the others and say, up your calories a bit. 900 is definitely too low. I wouldn't dip below 1000 at the most, 1200 to be on the safe side. Starvation instinct is your worst enemy right now. You can help stave it off with exercise and getting lots of water. Also, try eating small meals/snacks every three hours.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 193/170/140

Height: 5'5"

A change in eating habits can also cause a change in bathroom habits. That can cause your pants to feel tight.
Sheena41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #14  
KTM
KTM

S/C/G: 193/141/120

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

you need to eat a heavy breakfast and light dinner, from your sample day it appears that the heaviest meal in your day is dinner, which is not good. Heaviest meal should be breakfast and dinner should ne lightest. Also avoid eating much (except for a protient shake) after 7 PM.. add some protein to your meals.
KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #15  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Sorry your having a difficult time. A few things I have realized with myself is first of all to have patience. Sometimes our 'wants' and mind move much quicker than our physical body chemistry can!

Also, if your eating the same foods, or similar calorie intake, your body can adapt and become complacent. Change is good, so up or lower your calories by a 100 and try different healthy foods.

Additionally, your body can do the same thing, become complacent, if your exercise routine is the same all the time. Change it up, make it fun, and keep your body guessing.

Lastly, chemicals in processed foods can cause havoc with your weight loss and cravings for foods. When I completely got away from processed foods, and any foods that would be chemically made or treated (milk, meat processed w/hormones) I no longer had cravings or snacking habits and also lost weight (still am).

Hope this helps!
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote