Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #1  
I wish!

S/C/G: 185/136/135

Height: 5'6''

Question Does anyone else feel in limbo while on their weightloss journey?

Does anyone else feel neither here nor there while in the middle of their weightloss journey? Even though I've lost almost 30 pounds, my old clothes still fit me - they're loose, but nothing a belt can't fix. I don't want to go out and buy new clothes because I still have 20 more pounds to lose and I can't really afford to buy 'in between' clothes in the meantime. Also, until I'm at goal, I don't really want to go out and have old friends see me until I'm 'done'. My hope is to be at goal for a big reunion in Sept, but in the meantime I feel I want to hide away. Is this weird?

Last edited by StringBean; 06-02-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling
StringBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #2  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

StringBean, you still have to get out there and live your life! Don't let your lack of clothing options make you want to hide. Can you buy just one or two pieces at a thrift shop to hold you over until you reach your goal? I try to buy 1 or 2 new (or new to me) pants/capris/shorts every 8-10 lbs lost. Shirts seem to fit me alot longer as I'm on the chesty side. I currently have 2 pairs of pants (that are getting loose) and 4 pairs of capris (some loose, some fit) that I alternate. My wardrobe is limited but it all fits.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I know how you feel- what I've done is bought some cheap clothes in the meantime and when pieces get too big I either retire them and give them away or take them to a tailor and get them taken in
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #4  

As long as you're still wearing your big clothes, people won't really be able to tell you're losing weight. I mean, they WILL, of course, because your clothes will be fitting looser, but it's not likely they'll truly react to your weight loss 'till you hit them in the face with it.

Go out. Wear a belt and put a cuff in your jeans. Let your shirts fit big. Then, when you really WANT to call attention to your transformation, THAT'S when you go out and buy a couple of new pieces for your wardrobe.
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

30lbs - that's great! I bet you look completely different in your clothes now, even if you are still wearing some of the same pieces. I know it's weird to cite advice from a tv show but the fashion experts on What Not To Wear always make a big point about making the body you have right now look as good as possible and enjoy life in the meantime instead of waiting for a future perfect body. In their opinion, looking good now will inspire you to keep progressing towards your goals. Easier said than done, of course : )

I think the other posters are completely on the right track - it might be fun to get a new piece or two from a clearance sale that makes you feel great and keeps you inspired.
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #6  
Baby Stepping Along

Clothes aside, I wonder a bit about setting up such a big 'reveal' moment in your mind. While losing weight does feel terrific and all those compliments and whatnot are fun, I feel like there is a danger in setting yourself up for life being really, really different/better/more fun/fill-in-the-blank when you get to goal weight. I would encourage you to consider that your friends want to see you no matter what you weigh and life is short. Who knows what might happen and you don't want to be regretting 'hiding out' while you lose weight. There are also lots of challenges in social situations with healthy lifestyle that you will be faced with in maintenance too so there's no time like the present to get out there and start figuring those out.

Something to think about. You're doing great on the weight loss! Congratulations!

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #7  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

I hate to say it, but even when you are the weight you want--some folks may not notice--and others may not want to say anything. I wouldn't want you to be all set for a "big reveal" and then have it fall flat and turn around the next day and start gaining it back from dissappointment. Unfortunately, you can't control others' reactions.

Way to go--You have done a fantastic job so far!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #8  

You are doing great! It might help keep you motivated to get a cute outfit or two along they way. Do they have thrift shops where you are? you might be able to find something that is the right size and you can afford. When they don't fit, you can always donate them back to the thrift shop
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #9  
I wish!

S/C/G: 185/136/135

Height: 5'6''

Thank you all. You have made me feel so much better. I think I will get some 'new' clothes as there are tons of charity shops where I live. I didn't even think of that. Thanks again - you guys are awesome!!
StringBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/166.5/131

Height: 5'3

I'm glad you posted this b/c I feel the same way and after reading all the replies I feel a little better that I shouldn't be in hiding! Thx!!
mizmizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:53 AM   #11  

Go out and buy a cute sundress. You can pick them up very inexpensively (like $14 at Walmart). You'll get to feel cute and feminine in something new but nothing that you will feel obligated to keep in the closet long-term. It will also continue to fit for quite awhile so you won't need to keep replacing sizes.

I'm in the boat you are- my old clothes are baggy but can still be worn but I'm not ready to spend good money on temporary clothes. I went out and got me a cheapo sundress and it's amazing how much better it makes me feel. Especially because it's 2 sizes smaller than I used to wear and it doesn't have a 'w' anywhere on the size.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #12  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

You don't have to go out and spend a ton of money to look good NOW and you have NO IDEA how FANTASTIC and BEAUTIFUL it will make you feel to quit wearing those slouchy baggy clothes. Quit!! Go to a consignment shop, or Wal~Mart, or check Craig's List in your area, or Freecycle. Don't spend a fortune, but really, start wearing the correct size NOW!!!! One thing you definitely want to do TODAY is go get fitted for a new bra. Do not wait, go now. If you've lost 2 sizes and are wearing the same bra, if you go buy a new, correctly fitted bra TODAY you will look FOUR SIZES SMALLER tomorrow. I promise.

I didn't start wearing new clothes until my size 32 britches were literally falling down. I couldn't keep car keys or my cellphone in my pocked anymore because that little bit of weight tipped the pants-scale, and I had to hold them up with one hand while walking. Soon as I put on a pair of 28s, like 10 people asked me THAT SAME DAY if I'd lost weight. Do it!!! Do it now! Then report back ~ we want to know how you feel afterwards!!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote