Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

View Poll Results: Do weight loss reality shows inspire you?
Yes, I enjoy seeing people get such amazing results 24 32.88%
Yes, I enjoy seeing people get such amazing results 10 13.70%
No, the methods they use are not safe or realistic 13 17.81%
No, I think these shows are ridiculous 8 10.96%
I don't watch these kinds of shows 13 17.81%
Other - Please explain in comments 5 6.85%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2009, 03:44 AM   #1  
Bringin' Sexy Back!

Default Do weight loss reality shows inspire you?

Do weight loss reality shows inspire you?
suzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It depends on the show. Biggest Loser is completely contrived. Contestants feel bad because they lost "only" 4 pounds in a week. Very little is said about eating habits or food plans--the focus is all on sweat and pain. It's just not life. It's "entertainment."

On the other hand, a show like National Body Challenge is much more realistic. Plus the show actually gives you food tips that aren't trivial like those on BL.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #3  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I have to confess...I have watched every season of TBL and this is the first season that I DID NOT have a snack (and not a healthy one) during the show. I was never as big as some of those people, but it did inspire me this season to do something...and I am glad I did.
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I voted other because my answer would have been yes and no. Just like the myriad of books and magazines I read, these shows sometimes have a little something I can take away and use.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #5  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I used to be a Celebrity Fit Club junkie (when it was on)...it definitely inspired me to "do better" in terms of my own weight loss plan.

The fights were also hilarious - especially when Dustin Diamond got into it with Harvey. LMAO!
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

I admit, I did get hooked on BL this year. But yes, that is CRAZY when they are upset because they "only" lost 4 or even 9 lbs in ONE FREAKIN' WEEK. I do wish they would set the weekly goals to something more realistic. And I would like to see more people NOT eating 3,000 calorie diets to begin; I would like to see more who maybe have medical problems that have led to their weight gain. Still, hey; if someone out there can find inspiration in the show and begin a new lifestyle based on realistic goals, then I can live with it.

But what REALLY inspires me are going through the posts here and seeing the long term effects of better eating and exercise. The transformations are AMAZING and their faces/smiles say everything that needs to be said in the "After" pictures.

Also, perusing YouTube and watching video transformations and diaries is inspiring. I have even seen some who take you on their daily walk or jog. That is also where I first learned how to properly measure. Glad I came across that one because I would still be doing heaping tablespoons, haha.

Last edited by Niecy; 06-02-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #7  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I love to watch BL, even though I think it's pretty contrived and unrealistic for the average person (which the trainers admit too), and is more entertainment than informational. I do find that it helps me feel motivated to exercise (lots of times I'll exercise while I watch the show). And those dramatic before and after shots, I love them! (regular people submit theirs at the BL website too). I love looking at them here as well, they really pep me up to keep going.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

i like the BBC "you are what you eat".
For those who've not seen it, they introduce the offender. Then the nutritionist comes in and puts over several tables, or fills a body bag of the offenders favorite foods for a week. Usually huge piles of sweets and pies, soda, coffee... etc.... then she'll have their blood analyzed and their poop... lol then she'll bring them back in to a different table full of healthy nutritional foods (usually the offender cringes) but she'll make them something from the table, like a fruit smoothie, or some kind soup for example. And for 2 months they have to eat only this good food, after that they can add other foods like meat.
They show you a before and after, and after the person is always smiling, they're not tiny (they have lost weight) but they look healthy and happy, and shes set them up for healthy eating for the rest of their life and their families life.
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #9  
sugar is the devil

I do like watching TBL for entertainment purpose and for the "before and afters".

But what inspires me is "XWeighted". I LOVE THAT SHOW but I've been watching the same repeats for a year. I do hope that the next season starts soon... ! I also enjoy "The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp" but I'm not at my last 10 lbs yet, but one day I will be!
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I too take a little bit from almost anything. Somehow I've managed to miss the biggest loser, but I have seen inspiring stuff on the health channel. Usually it's about weight loss surgery, which I know little about, but just seeing the results and the possibilities is really cool.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #11  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I liked Diet tribe....and a few I've seen on Fit tv but other than that ones like TBL almost makes me disgusted. Mainly because of the weigh ins and seeing people look devastated over losses that are way beyond normal. Which my best friend loves TBL and tries to diet but when she doesn't lose big like the people on the show she gets depressed & gives up to binge. Blah. Then gets mad at me because she is convinced that I have some magic formula....I told her what I do & she doesn't believe me....sorry for the rant! lol

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 06-02-2009 at 11:41 AM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #12  
Just a fat guy losing it!

S/C/G: 343/312/220

Height: 6'1

I watch every weight-loss program I can, and usually take from it whatever is intended with a dose of reality.

The one that I absolutely love is here in Ontario, Canada, on a local broadcasting channel: Roger's Cable Television.

It's called Precision Fitness Challenge. It's a half-hour show that follows a real person through a 12 week program of clean, nutritious eating and a solid fitness program. They work with that person on foods to eat, exercises to do, and give them a trainer. Usually that person comes out with a decent weight loss, and it's totally real. A great show...
Kootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #13  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I love watching weight loss reality shows but soley as entertainment! Competition-type shows aren't realistic as the results aren't achievable at home, nor are their achievements "doable".
Diet/body makeover type shows are interesting, because they show me that many of us on this journey face the same challenges and emotions.
And sometimes, I need a good episode of You Are What You Eat to reinforce to me that my dietary choices are indeed a good thing...
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #14  

To me it does, I considered it a motivation factor on my part
Sophia Elise is offline   Reply With Quote