Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:24 AM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default How many minutes of aerobic excercise should I begin with?

Hi!

I've been doing some research and I cannot for the life of me remember what the recomendations were for excercising for weight loss. I want to start this week while I get my act together regarding my meals and planning and so on. But I got on the scale tonight and I must begin.

I have bad knees and feet: so an energetic walk is a bit beyond me at the moment...but there is an excercise bike in the basement (in three pieces) which I can use. Would 30 minutes (including warm-up and cool down and 20 minutes in my target heart range) 3x a week be sufficient?

I think I've also read somewhere though that one needs 90 minutes 5x a week--and if THAT is true, then they might as well build me the Big Coffin now 'cause I can't see that happening. Not yet.

I'd appreciate any help you can give. I'm feeling a little scared. TIA.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Start with the 30 minutes 3 times and week if that is what will be comfortable and allow your knees to adjust. That's a great start, no need to put a bunch of pressure on yourself right now.

No need to be afraid either -- make exercise pleasurable and make it a habit. That way you'll be more inclined to really incorporate it into your lifestyle long term!

Good luck

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 05-26-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #3  

Start slow and work your way up as you become more fit.

The recommendation for weight loss is 300+ minutes per week.
Water25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #4  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Thank you both.
I did a bit more research last night and the intensity of the excercise seems to matter a great deal. Is that 300 minutes at a modertae intensity?

But it is all about just getting on and doing something isn't it? I don't have to worry about doing it "perfectly".

We put the bike together today--but the electronic console isn't working. I'd really been looking forward to a decent cardio workout, too. Keep your fingers crossed for me that fresher batteries will do the trick!

Oh--and when I saiod I was scared--I mean about my weight--not about excercise. I love excercise...or I used too...before well, you know, preganacies, feet, knees, weight gain, a bad back....life.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Alana, I love that name...

You're best bet is to start slow and work yourself up gradually, if 30 mins it too long to start go with 15 mins... every little step helps, and each day you will make more steps than the day before, or the workout before...

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote