Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/285/130

Height: 5ft 4in

Default Working out during the summer.

I have enough trouble motivating myself to workout during the cooler months and it seems that Summer is too hot to even move let alone work out. I wish I could put an air conditioner in my living room (which is where I workout) But I can not. I would really appriciate any suggestions that would make working out in the heat bearable.
blue fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

When I work out I always have water with me- honestly I hate to sweat too and last night I dreamed out swimming again lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #3  
Ann Marie

S/C/G: 263 (Feb of '06)/236/170

Height: 5' 5"

If I'm going for a run or bike ride I wait until early evening when the sun is starting to set and it's cooling off a bit. Wear a hat outside in the sun and stay hydrated.
brn2bthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #4  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I CANT STAND SUMMER CAUSE OF HOTNESS! I have joined a gym and i put a fan on me when working out. I also go walking either early morning or evening after the sun has partially gone down. It helps tremendously. I just CAN NOT handle the sun, even in 72 degree weather, the sun is too hot for me. I get a headache really bad and just get all sick.

I guess I was a southern belle in a past life............
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #5  
Princess in gym training

S/C/G: 228/190/130

Height: 5'9"

I go run in the morning. During the middle of the day I would be to miserable to go. If morning doesn't work try the evening. You could bring a bottle of ice water and a rag and periodically wet it down and wipe your face and arms off.
BellaDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/256/234

Height: 5ft 2inches

I am in Georgia and we get hot hot hot. last summer we got the little personal fans that you can war around your neck and kept a bottle of water in the fridge to spritz ourself. Early morning or evening is the best time. Try to get a cross breeze going and fans can be great. you can do it. Drink plenty water and don't wear to many cloths.
5aday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #7  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I'd do early morning (or evening) walks, although around here as the summer gets warmer evenings won't be that cool. The one thing I used last summer a lot when working in the garden was a cooling bandana.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...,42407&p=10286

It's a Canadian company, but looks like the product is made in the US, so you should be able to find something like it. You basically soak it in water, the crystals swell and you tie it around your neck. The guys I worked with (in manufacturing plants) used to swear by them, and they really do seem to keep you cooler. Not that you won't sweat, but I never get that dizzy feeling with the heat when working in the garden.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/169/145

Height: 5'5

Early morning workouts. If I want my room cold without the air conditioner, I live the window open all night & then before the sun comes up in the morning close the window & shades, & it will stay pretty cool in there for a while.

Otherwise, water & a fan blowing on you would probably help.
vertigoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

5 am. It is gorgeous watching the world wake up
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #10  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I live in South Florida where we have 9 months of HOT! I run early in the morning (like, before sunrise) when it's cooler. I also find that you acclimate to the heat over time. But you need to slow down, hydrate well, and rest if you need to.

You can find a public pool and swim. Or transfer your workout to a cooler venue. How about mall-walking? It's free and a whole lot better than giving up for the summer. Or find a friend with central air and work out together at her house?
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

i just do it >__<; im witn MBN i live in S.FL too and its mostly hot all the time anyhow =p.

But i do my workout in the bedroom, door closed, window open, ceiling fan going; and sometimes a swivel fan
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285/285/130

Height: 5ft 4in

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am going to get the cooling bandana that RealCdn suggested. I will let you know how it works. I will also try putting a spray bottle in the fridge, and using a swivel fan. I might also try breaking up my workout into intervuals and going into the air conditon bedroom to cool off.
blue fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #13  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

I'd say that the fan should really help out, along with the spray bottle of water. But mainly you've just got to make the decision to exercise according to your schedule and "git 'er done".

It's early summer, so it's not too horrible yet here in Houston. I'm attempting to start running more in the morning.

My biggest motivation is my beagle, Lucy. We live in a small apartment, so if she doesn't get out for at least a daily walk, she practically bounces off the walls. I have equipment to exercise inside (bike, weight bench/dumbells) but that doesn't help Lucy.
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

I love that bandana idea...I have a hard time with the heat!!

Last edited by Ilene; 05-22-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #15  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I live in the desert - raw, unadulterated 110 degree weather. I end up working out after the sun sets, even though that makes it about 9:00 p.m.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote