Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-22-2009, 03:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/233/165

Height: 5'9

Unhappy Keeps trying but just can't seem to do it...

So last year around this time I had lost around 50lbs. Well over the last year I have put that 50lbs back on. I really want to go back to losing weight and I keep telling myself I am going to do it but I keep putting it off. My fiancee is coming back from VA in July and I don't want him to see me like this. I know he will love me no matter what but it is depressing. I did so good in losing all that weight and I just went and put it back on like it was nothing. So I am hoping that you guys on here could give me some advice or encouragement on getting back on my journey of losing this weight again. Please help me! Thanks!
MamaOf2LilBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:54 AM   #2  
Maintenance...

S/C/G: 167.5/132/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi!!! Good luck on your weight loss journey! I know you can do this!!!
Kim K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

You're not alone. This is something many folks experience! We get the weight off, and then we feel we can "relax" and go back to old ways...

You can lose that weight again. If your old program doesn't work well, try something new. If you were doing WW try calorie counting--and vice versa! The important thing is that you choose a method you can stick with and that is healthy for you.

And then, make sure that it's an approach you can follow indefinitely. I don't mean that you'll be "dieting forever"--but I do mean that your eating habits will have to change permanently if you're going to avoid regaining. So try to think in those terms. An example: people can lose weight eating something silly, like only grapefruit--but what happens when they stop eating only grapefruit?

Don't say you'll start tomorrow--tomorrow doesn't exist. Start today with something simple, something you can accomplish.

Good luck! You can do this!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Well let me ask you something. Why WOULDN'T you begin this journey again? What would be your reasons for NOT losing the weight?

It's all about decisions and choices and how you want to live your life. Being fat is a choice. Being fit is a choice. Losing weight is a choice. Keeping it off or gaining it back - they're choices too. You have to decide what choices you're willing to make - permanently - that will give you the most out of life. One must accept that there is no going back to their old ways. You have to work on creating a new normal for yourself. This is no diet that you're "on". This has to be a permanent way of life. No stopping. Just continuing. Find foods that you LOVE. Embrace the idea of being a healthy, fit person and really get into it. Don't dread it. Become EXCITED about it.

All that *head* stuff aside, once you get into a "groove" and it usually only takes 3 days to do so, you will be so thrilled and utterly relieved to be back to a healthy way of life. You will wonder why you put it off for so long. I know you won't regret it one bit.

So yes, think of your future and how you want to lead the best life possible, but perhaps just take it one day at a time and hopefully it will evolve from there.

Give yourself the gift of 3 days, just three measly days of excellent on-plan eating. Heck, take it one day at a time or even one hour if need be. One foot in front of the other. You'll get there. And you will be overjoyed to be and stay there.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-22-2009 at 06:59 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

What did you do the first time around to lose the weight? I think it's time for a program reassessment: was your old diet too restrictive, complicated, or otherwise just didn't fit into your lifestyle?

The reason people regain weight is because they "go off the program." What made you go off the program?
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/158/140

Height: 5ft5

exercise exercis exercise! You will feel good too x
Beckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

Do you know what??? You’ve done it before, which mean you know how. So, just get back to it and this time make sure it will be for good.
Whenever you feel like going OP, just remember what it done to you (gained the weight back) and say NO, NO, NO.
Make encouragement notes, carry pics from when you were 50 pounds lighter... Do whatever it takes to be healthier and happier. You deserve it!!!

Last edited by belezura; 05-22-2009 at 09:27 AM.
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

Oh the lovely yo-yo effect, got to love it! Let me ask you a question, how did you feel when you were -50lbs? How do you feel now? Which way would you rather feel??? I can only imagine that losing 50 lbs made you feel a lot better about yourself & your self image. Wouldn't you love to feel that way again? Everyone goes up & down, it's part of the deal I think. But your taking the first important step, realizing you want something different & turning here for help. You have lost before and you can do it again, you just have to dig deep & find the motivation within yourself to do it. You can do this!!! Good luck!
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

You sound like me awhile ago. I could always lose weight, but I always gained it back.

After you lost 50 lbs - what happened?

I sat down and thought honestly and clearly about why I regained the weight each time. When I figured that out - well, everything changed for me.

I don't think it's enough to just encourage you to lose that 50 lbs again. I want to encourage you to lose that 50lbs and KEEP IT OFF. How are you going to do that? That's the real key.

Was your plan too boring, restrictive? Were you hungry? Was it hard to attend social occasions while you were on plan? Imagine living your plan for the rest of your life - now make changes to it so you can live with it the rest of your life.

Start right now!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #10  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
You will wonder why you put it off for so long.
What Robin said!!! I have certainly been there. Many of us have. Just give yourself a hug, find a plan you can live with (Atkins for me; you have to find what works for you) then go for it! Get excited about it! You are changing your life and you are going to feel GREAT!!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
All that *head* stuff aside, once you get into a "groove" and it usually only takes 3 days to do so, you will be so thrilled and utterly relieved to be back to a healthy way of life.
That is so true. It's exactly what I tell myself. Forever seems daunting, even a month seems too long, but 3 days, I can do anything just for that. And by the end of 3 days, your outlook has changed so much.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote