Old 05-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #1  
Lo-Carbin'

S/C/G: 197/See Ticker!/150

Height: 5'7

Default Confused about Calories...

I'm counting my calories but am confused about something. I know that I obviously should choose healthy choices to fill my caloric intake, but if I eat something junky (specifically a small hot fudge sundae from DQ) and stay within my required calories for the day and also burn my required calories for the day, is this OK? As long as I'm burning more than I'm eating is this OK?

Thank in advance.
sawa1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Yep, it is perfectly ok. Thats the great thing about counting calories, we can eat what we want, as long as it falls in range.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/202.5/150...or lower...

Height: 5'5"

yes, it is. as long as you're not doing it every day.
the majority of your diet should be healthy, nutritionally dense food.
do you know the nutritional value of the sundae?
willow68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! When you're calorie counting, yeah, no foods are off limits--you just have to plan for them and make room.

Obviously if you eat a lot of sugary and greasy foods, they are going to pile up faster than fruits, vegetables, and lean protein foods--the healthier choices.

The thing you don't want to do is get into a situation where you eat foods you know are high in calories, and then tell yourself you'll exercise it all off. That kind of starts a bad cycle, and there comes a point where you can't exercise enough.

Plan ahead with your daily calories. Try to figure out what you'll eat for each meal and snack and how that fits with your total calories.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #5  
Lo-Carbin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow68 View Post
do you know the nutritional value of the sundae?
Oh yes, I do! After researching I decided it wasn't worth the 300 calories it was and had some yogurt instead.

Thanks everyone, it's been a question I've been wondering for a while and now I know I CAN have a treat every now and then without sabotaging my lifestyle.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Absolutely! I think one key to my success with calorie counting is "no deprivation". Tell me I can't have something, and I want it all the more. Since this is a lifestyle change - tell me I can't ever have it again, and

One reason that calorie counters are such successful maintainers is that the learn the give and take of eating those "special" foods. We learn that it is OK to have that splurge once in a while, but it must be planned for. We quickly learn that a small DQ sundae is 280 calories and a large blizzard is 1100 calories. And USUALLY we make the better choice

And, just KNOWING I can have a DQ sundae if I really, really want one, takes away all the power that it had over me away.

Last edited by CountingDown; 05-18-2009 at 09:23 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #7  
Lo-Carbin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
And, just KNOWING I can have a DQ sundae if I really, really want one, take away all the power that it had over me away.
You really hit the nail on the head! You're so right. That is exactly why the second I start a "diet" I fail!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

I do allow myself treats. I'll have a fat free frozen yogurt (I keep it in the freezer), an oatmeal raisin cookie, or a little bit of dark chocolate. It's knowing I can have those treats that keeps me moving forward. I don't eat those treats in place of my healthy meals, though. I'll eat my dark chocolate today AFTER I finish my salad with grilled chicken and whole grain bread.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #9  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

I have noticed if I eat an absolutely crazy amount of fat but stay within my calories for the day it still does damage not only do I get stuck for a few days but my tummy rebels. That's just the way my system works. Some people have similar problems with carbs.

Nothing is forbidden, but don't go nuts. Really moderation is key and if you do have a bad day... shrug it off and just go back on plan. In fact I find the occasional naughty day seems to keep my metabolism happily confused.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/174/120

Height: 5'0

So if we can eat what we want as long as we stay in the range then someone could eat a 100 calorie breakfast, 100 calorie lunch and a 1000 calorie dinner?
Nigelswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/202.5/150...or lower...

Height: 5'5"

sure, but why would you not want to give your body enough "fuel" during the day???
willow68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/243/150

Height: 5'3"

I keep york peppermint patties and if I want something sweet I nibble on one of them. I also realized that McD's ice cream cone is only 150 calories and splurge on one of those every once in a while. I feel like I am really getting a treat.
autumnstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #13  
Almost there! 7lbs to go!

S/C/G: 165/137/130

Height: 5'8"

I think this is why i'm losing weight so well this time... nothing is off limits. Just has to be accounted for.. in my 5 weeks so far i've had 4 Starbucks choco java chip drinks (almost 500 cals each) but sooooo worth every calorie! lol!! And i've accounted for them each time.. i've lost 15lbs so far!
Moralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #14  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

That doesn't work for everyone though -- I love sweets, but if I eat something like a donut, it sets off a blood sugar rush/crash and I just want more and more later. I find it's easier to stay on plan if I don't eat the sugar-loaded stuff very often. If I do have it, then I try to pair it with something protein or eat it as my treat late in the day where there is less opportunity to derail my day.

So, technically yes, I can eat anything so long as I stay within my calorie "budget", but not all calories react the same way when I eat them ....
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote