Old 05-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/221/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Tips From "Losers"

I've been thinking a lot about what it takes takes to lose lots of weight and keep it off. So I would love to get some tips from people who have reached their goals and kept it off. How do you stay committed? What mental changes did you need to make? What keeps you going everyday?

Post away!
LadyPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I have embraced the way I now live.

I have accepted that my body is not like someone who has never had a weight problem. I have made peace with this (well, most of the time. There was the pasta incident, Christmas 2008 )

I know that complacency WILL lead to gaining weight. I've seen it happen (see my ticker?)

I'm afraid... very afraid... of re-gaining. I think a healthy dose of fear in this area is a good thing.

I read every label, scour restaurant menus online, and work to avoid situations where I just happen to "land" in a buffet.

I taught myself how to plan. I truly believe someone's unwillingness to put effort into planning meals is one of the BIGGEST obstacles in weightloss maintenance. How does it go? Failing to plan is planning to fail...

I have learned the difference between motivation and determination and sacrifice. Motivation is fleeting. I don't always feel like working out, but I KNOW I need to. Most of the time, I'm just not that motivated to exercise and that's ok, but I still do it.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #3  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I read this quote from another chicks signature: Its not about motivation. Its about commitment!

I was always looking for 'inspiration' and 'motivation' and then with that simple quote, I realized that that is not what its about.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddalice View Post
I read this quote from another chicks signature: Its not about motivation. Its about commitment!

I was always looking for 'inspiration' and 'motivation' and then with that simple quote, I realized that that is not what its about.
I agree. I've learned that the word "motivation" is really just a buzz word...
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

It must be a lifestyle change. You can't "diet" and then go back to your old way of eating.

Maintenance doesn't look much different than losing. I plan, I weigh daily, I exercise daily, I still weigh some foods, I mentally count calories in my head.

Motivation comes from embracing and celebrating the new me. I LOVE being able to do things with my family. I LOVE that I float up stairs (instead of dragging my sorry behind). I LOVE that I am fit and healthy and have probably avoided (or at least prolonged the onset) of some nasty diseases.

Diligence is key. You must stay alert. And, so far - it isn't difficult. This new way of life is so engrained in what I do and who I am, that I can't imagine going back.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #6  
FOCUS FOCUS!!

S/C/G: 130/126/110

CountingDown - I love the curtains behind you in your last pic (120 pounds)! Are they yours?
UWPiPhiAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:03 AM   #7  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

love this thread- keep the good stuff coming
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWPiPhiAngel View Post
CountingDown - I love the curtains behind you in your last pic (120 pounds)! Are they yours?
Thanks!
LOL - yes. Actually, that is a door. We live in a turn of the century house with very custom size everything (old lumbering town so the house was built with rough-sawn lumber from the mill in the late 1800s).

I stripped some of the doors down to their natural wood, but they were so distressed from 100+ years of wear and tear, that I was very disappointed with the results.

Plan "B" was to get some fabric that I loved (gray silky fabric with the lace overlay) and pleat it and staple it on the door. I must say that I love the results!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

As Junebug stated: Motivation is fleeting, sometimes I have it, sometimes I dont, however I am comitted to losing and keeping the weight off!

I am not on a diet. This is the way I live....this is my life. I like the way I currently live.

I must plan for everything. If there is a cookout coming up I mentally go over some "not so terrible" food I may have and I plan for a small meal beforehand.

I set goals fitness goals. That keeps going even when I don't want to.
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote