Old 05-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

Unhappy Two Rants/Irratations In One

1. I've been frustrated the last week about my weight loss. I'm losing, which is great and I DO believe I will make it to my goal, and on time, but I'm getting VERY impatient. I just want to be there- I just want to be 135 and I'm tired of working towards it. Everyday I get closer and I keep doing everything I need to do- the healthy way to lose the weight and keep it off, but I still wish there was some magic way to instantly be 135....

2. Background: The last time I was close to goal- I was 149 and some change. I met my husband and went back up to 182 - there were some failed attempts before where I would crash diet- lose ten pounds and then gain it back. Well my point is- I've never been below 149- since before high school. I've always been overweight. I just don't know how I'll look at 135.
My real rant is this: Everyone told me how great I looked at 149 and that I didn't need to lose anymore, but I still wanted to be at 135. It's the middle of my healthy weight range for my height and body structure. Why are my friends and family SO supportive about me losing weight, but not about the number I want to get to?

Anyway- Thanks for listening, I know you girls will understand

edit: I am now aware that my title it spelled incorrectly- oops

Last edited by angelinelosesweight; 05-14-2009 at 01:38 PM.
angelinelosesweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I think it's sort of like "sticker shock." The number seems low, to them, even though it's not. They're used to you the way you have been, and it'll take some time for them to get used to the new you when you hit your goal (not IF...but WHEN).
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

But what's it about for 135? It sounds like you have this magic number in your head. I've set goals for myself based on both my BMI and my weight in the past. For example, my first major goal is to be 179, out of the "obese" range. Then it's 160, which I weighed when I started college, and then 135 which I weighed my sophomore year in high school. If I can't get there, it's not a huge deal, just that I'm under 149, which is considered normal weight according to my BMI. I would like to be 125-120, but I'm not focusing on it. It's not my overall goal.

Believe me, it can get frustrating, but I've never been to your point where I'm close. For me, I'll lose 5 lbs and then gain it back almost instantly if I splurge too much on food for one day. It's extremely frustrating and I've been at 209-207 for days and days and days. I gained MORE, went up to 213 (!!!) after a weekend where I honestly didn't overindulge that much (so I really don't know why I gained 4 lbs). But now I've been working out so I'm losing again, as well as eating very well.

I think your friends and family just don't understand why you want to be at 135. If you look great at 149, why not shoot for 145? I understand about 135 being in the middle of normal weight for your BMI, but I think you should just shoot for 149 right now, and once you get there, see how you look and if you're happy with your weight, don't lose any more. My best advice is to get this 135 out of your head, and focus on 149, and then once you get there, see if you want to or need to lose any more.

Good luck! You've made it this far, don't stop! It sucks so much to gain back after you've lost (I got to 195 last summer and would give anything to be back there).
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #4  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I hate BMI, it's a totally archaic way of measuring what weight you are suppose to be at and anyone who uses it to classify themselves should do their homework.

Anyway... Your family is probably just worried and have a preconceived idea of what a healthy weight and look is. They might be afraid that loosing weight could turn into something ridiculous like bulimia or anorexia. Worst case scenario is they are jealous of your success but I doubt that! Just do what makes you happy.
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

Mindi: new mantra: "when not if!" Thank you

sunflower: Thank you- I will definitely revaluate how I feel when I get to 149. I know last time I still wanted to lose because I wanted my arms and tummy to be just a bit smaller for a swimsuit, but I was very happy with my body other than that. Thanks for the advice

madame: All of my family is overweight (aside from the hubby who's never been over 135 in his life- small runner) so I think you're right about them being worried about me being unhealthy. They've never been on a healthy "diet" in their life- just crash ones so I guess it makes sense why they would be worried because they know what they would do to lose

Thanks so much for the advice

Last edited by angelinelosesweight; 05-14-2009 at 02:49 PM.
angelinelosesweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe instead of telling them what number you are going for say "I haven't decided yet but I'm going to continue to lose weight until I feel I am where I want to be."

beerab is offline   Reply With Quote