Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 01:03 PM   #1  
Thursday Lady

Default Estrogen & Weight Gain

Calling all pre-menopausal, menopausal & post-menopausal ladies

I've been on Premarin for 3 1/2 years now--3 pills @wk.
I never experienced any bad side affects until now......
I've gained weigh in that dreaded place---my hips and I'm bloated all the time.

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions for solutions?

Tina
140 personal goal
Old 06-13-2002, 03:45 PM   #2  

Default Change to Estrace if you can!

I have been unable to lose my weight since I started taking Premarin after a hysterectomy....Just changed to Estrace (a plant based, more closely related to human form of estrogen ) a month ago and joined WW..and I'm losing!
Old 06-14-2002, 03:00 AM   #3  

Hi, Tina, I started on Prempro about 6 years ago and put on about 45 pounds. I lost most of it on WW and reached my goal about a year and a half ago, but 15 pounds have "crept" back on (with my help, I fear), and I haven't been able to lose it. I have maintained this 15 pounds over goal weight for about 6 months now, and am losing confidence that I can ever get it off again. I do wonder if the Prempro is part of my problem. Lisa, how is Estrace different than the other types of HRT? I would like to think I could switch over and lose some of this excess tonnage.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:53 AM   #4  

From a formulation standpoint, Premarin is made from PREgnant MARes urINE. I"m not kidding. It's made from the pee of horses. Its estrogen content is not as closely related to that of human estrogen. Estrace is made from a plant and it's estrogen more closely matches human estrogen.

I've heard some women who've made the switch say it's easier to lose weight on Estrace. I've only been on it for a month now, but I am losing weight! The only trouble is, I just started WW and cant honestly tell you if it was the switch, the WW, or a combination. I had major trouble losing anything...even when eating very little..before...but that observation is less than scientific!

Also, Estrace allows for a lower dose....The dose I'm on is equal to 1/2 the Premarines lowest available dose...and the less estrogen, the easier to lose weight too.

Ask your doctor...but do some research first....that's how I convinced mine to make the change!
Old 06-14-2002, 09:45 AM   #5  
Thursday Lady

Lisa and Linda,
Thanks for posting.

Does the Estrace have all the other benefits that Premarin has----with that I mean getting rid of night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings???????
I have to make an appt. for my annual and will talk to my dr. about this.
Also, is Estrace by Rx only? (I know nothing about this drug. )

Tina
Old 06-14-2002, 06:01 PM   #6  

Default (Musing in agreement...)

Oh, Tina, that was a *great* question about the Estrace, if it takes care of the hot flashes and so on...I couldn't go back to those pesky things, even if I were to lose all of my weight for taking it! I had spoken with my doctor about Estrace a couple of months ago and she recommended I stay on the Prempro. Think I'll look it up and compare the two for myself, just to see.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:07 PM   #7  

I don't know what the estrogen in Prempro is...so I can't help with the comparison there.

And .....
I'm having no return symptons since the switch to Estrace from Premarin. None of them came back, even on the lower dosing. (Also, remember that I am 36 and had a surgical menopause at age 30)
Old 06-14-2002, 09:33 PM   #8  
Thursday Lady

Hi,
I read up on Estrace when I was at the bookstore today.
Most of the books said that Estrace was best given with a progesterone pill. Hmmm...... I don't know about that.

I too had a hysterectomy. I kept my ovaries. So, it was quite a surprise when I began hot flashes, etc. I had no way of knowing when menopause was going to start for me.

Tina
Old 06-14-2002, 11:10 PM   #9  

Thanks for looking up estrace at the bookstore today, Tina. I've been seeking info on the web but I haven't found anything that has told me in black and white the downfalls of it vs. prempro, or vice versa. My ob/gyn did tell me that she thought prempro was best for me, what with my medical history. Maybe I'm just destined to be overweight.

Blessings,
Old 06-15-2002, 11:07 AM   #10  
Thursday Lady

I do not believe that any of us are destined to be overweight for life. Somedays it feels that way.

Okay, we've got to get ourselves together and get this weight off. Are you with me???!!!

Linda , do you exercise daily, weekly, monthly (I'm so funny.) I was doing that before our vacation but stopped when we returned. Now isn't that silly! I've started back. I walked 4 mornings this week. I have trouble with bloating. However, I refuse to give up at least one diet cola a day. Maybe I should just drink more water. Yuk!

Take care everyone.
Tina
Old 06-15-2002, 09:15 PM   #11  

Tina, my dh and I walk around the block every day when we finally roll out of bed (he took a very early retirement five years ago, so now we sleep til we wake up!). It is probably a 12- or 15 minute walk, and not at a very fast clip. I hate to exercise, but when I had my last physical exam my doctor gently encouraged me to do so, since I am overweight by about 15 pounds. Because of that, dh and I decided that it really would be the best thing we could do for ourselves. Heretofore I rarely exercised, so I had go sort of giggle when your question of how often I exercise included "...monthly?" It is just a necessary evil, I guess; I wish I liked to walk. I even have a really nice treadmill in the bedroom, an electronic one that automatically raises and lowers to mimic uphill/downhill terrain, and a nice big TV to watch as I walk. You'd think I'd take advantage of this perk...but nope, I rarely get on the treadmill. I don't have the problem that some seem to have of trying to drink enough water; I have always been a "water nut," and go through about a gallon a day, normally (more on very hot days). I prefer water to drinking anything else, and don't even go to Sam's Club without my water bottle in the shopping basket where I can get to it.

I would like to encourage you to begin your walking regimen again! We have just made it part of our schedule -- get up, eat brunch, walk....
Old 06-17-2002, 01:26 PM   #12  
Determined Chick!

I am facing a hysterectomy with removal of both ovaries -- probably in fall -- and one big worry is weight gain after. Is it the additional estrogen that causes the weight gain (i.e. if you weren't using HRT you wouldn't have the problem), or is the weight gain a result of the surgical menopause from the hyst..

Holly

P.S. I'm trying to make a goal of losing as much weight as I can prior to surgery, but...
Old 06-17-2002, 02:01 PM   #13  
Thursday Lady

Hi Holly,
From what I've read and heard from others, the HRT (estrogen) is the culprit. I did not have a problem at first because of the low amt going into my system.
(I take it 3 times a week as opposed to everyday.)
It has built up over time and is causing my weight gain now---and it doesn't want to come off.

You are very wise to lose all you can before your surgery.

Good luck!

Tina
140 personal goal
Old 06-17-2002, 09:15 PM   #14  

Holly, in my case, it is the Prempro that has caused the weight gain, as I have never had a hysterectomy. I echo what Tina said about your having the right idea in trying to lose as much as you can before your surgery. Just be sure to keep your strength up for the procedure by eating enough nutritious food.
Closed Thread