Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 11:31 PM   #1  

Post Dr. Phill???

I was just wondering if any one watched Oprah on Tue. What did all of you think about what Dr. Phill was saying about weight loss and gain?

I think he had some good points but I think he needs to go back to school on others, lol. That is just my oppinion.

I can't wait to hear what you all think. He will be on again next Tue. I won't miss that one, lol.

Bella23
Old 06-13-2002, 07:52 AM   #2  
it's always something

Sounds interesting, I wish I'd seen it. I went to Oprah's site, but I see they charge 7 bucks for a transcript. However, they have a page at http://www.oprah.com/phil/weight/phil_weight_main.jhtml which includes Dr Phil's tips.

I'll watch for next week's show, thanks for pointing it out!
Old 06-13-2002, 09:18 AM   #3  

I saw Dr. Phil on Oprah Tuesday. I think much of what he said makes sense and is true - at least in my case. I know that I'm fat for a reason, that it is gettting me something. If the weight didn't have a payoff, I don't think I'd be fat - or not as fat. The part of the discussion that I'm not sure of is when he says that you KNOW what the problem is. For some people, like me, it's very difficult to just name the source of the conflict. It takes a lot of talking and good questions asked by skilled counselor. If a person doesn't have that, he/she can rack their brains trying to get answers with no results. I used to cry because I KNEW something was wrong (bothering me) but just simply couldn't put my finger on it.

2ofMe
annie
Old 06-13-2002, 09:55 AM   #4  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I missed this week's show .. Haven't watched Oprah in ages! but I love Dr Phil's style Thanks for pointing this out Bella!

signed,
recovering tv junkie
Old 06-13-2002, 10:59 AM   #5  

I did see most of the show and enjoyed it as I like Dr. Phil. I agree there must be a payoff but haven't figured out yet what mine is/was. (Maybe just that food tastes good.) However, while that statement may apply in most cases, I also think there are cases where perhaps that's a bit too simplistic.

Am looking forward to this week's show. I don't watch Oprah that much anymore but try on Tuesday's to see D.P. Am looking forward to his own show in the fall but maybe that will be just too much of him.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:34 PM   #6  

Default The payoff . . . hmm

I've watched/heard about Dr. Phil mentioning this payoff for being fat also.

I think he may be on to something but I don't think he gives enough direction in how to figure it out.

Sometimes I wonder for me if it's something deeply subconscious like I don't feel like I really "belong" anywhere therefore I can always blame not feeling like I belong because I'm fat. I've thought too that there are many things in my life I don't have control over but no one's going to tell me I can't eat what I want! Who knows?

At other times, I just go for the simpler explanation-- I like to eat! I don't feel that I physicaly get full as quickly as some of my average weight friends. I know people who can eat like a horse and not gain weight--they're quite slim.
I do like "junk" food like ice cream, chips, etc. but a lot of times I just eat a lot of pasta, salad, cereal, milk, etc.--things that aren't necessarily unhealthy. I just eat too much of them.

I've always wondered how Oprah feels when Dr. Phil talks about weight. She's gained some back and really looks pretty good but I wonder if she knows what her payoff is? Does everyone even have a payoff?
Old 06-13-2002, 06:54 PM   #7  
gbo

In my humble opinion he is dead on. The payoff. Yes it can be hard to identify but be assured there is one, physically, mentally but I suspect most often it is emotionally.

A fat person has many double edged swords of positive and negative...just to name a few....a fat person is safer from emotions dealt with in relationships, the flip side, that hunk or fox you adore has no interest in you what so ever, no matter how wonderful you are.

a fat person is not expected to do as much or achieve as much, the flip side, no matter how secure we are as people nor how high our potential, our self value takes a hit when we are virtually dismissed. Hidden, valued less.
There are a ton more of course but finding your own is a matter of examining deeply your emotions and what triggers them.
Pam
Old 06-13-2002, 07:02 PM   #8  
diamondgeog

Default I watched it and...

I found it valuable and there is going to be possibly an even more valuable show this coming Tuesday. I would disagree with him though about having to figure out 'the root cause' of what is causing the behaviour resulting in being overweight. Of course that is important but just as you can continue to be overweight and continue bad habits long after 'the root cause' is no longer an issue you can certainly change habits even if the root cause still exists. I think he way underplayed how important willpower is. You can make losing weight a priority and make real and significant changes in what you eat and habits and use willpower even if there are continuing issues in your life. In fact, making the changes and losing the weight might help deal with some of these issues. I also found his you want to be overweight would be a lot of gobblygoob for most people although I understand what he was implying.

I did like when he said diets never work but I think he underplayed the value of willpower.

Larry

Old 06-18-2002, 07:22 PM   #9  

thought I'd bring this back to the top of the pile, since I assume several of us saw part 2 of Dr. Phil's weight loss philosophy on Oprah today.

I didn't see last week's show, but today I thought he was spot on! Since I've been keeping my food diary, I had already come to the lifestyle conclusion, but to have it put so clearly really drove the point home. I wanted to reach through the TV and hug that sweet woman who volunteered for the "uncensored talking" or whatever he called it. I thought it was a great show, and it inspired me to take a closer look not only at my diet and exercise plan, but at the shape and direction of my life on this planet.

I forgot how much I liked Dr. Phil - I think I might head to the bookstore later.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:24 PM   #10  

I totally agree, I wasn't fond of last weeks show, but this one hit the spot!!!

He described me totally, and it was almost scary. As for the girl that did the talking, I started crying, she said the same things I would have said. I had chills, and tears. I wrote the 5 steps of weightloss down and will post them for all of you. If you have questions about them feel free to ask.

5 STEPS TO WEIGHT LOSS

1. Set a VERY specific goal ( this includes working through the reason that your over weight, and how much you want to loose)

2. Work out a VERY specific stradegy ( make your kitchen and work areas safe by getting rid of the comfort foods, get rid of all your expandable clothing and tell yourself that you will not be able to get anything bigger, then when you lose weight get rid of the bigger ones and so on.)

3. Identify small measurable steps

4. Create a realistic healthy timeline. ( write down specific goals, such as: week one i want to weigh 200 , week two i want to weigh 198, and so on)

5. Create a meaningful monitoring and accountability ( like a husband, ww, a doctor, a sister, etc.)

Please feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong. But this is what I got and thought it would be helpfull to post. I am going to put all these questions and goals and accountability on a piece of paper and hang it on the frig, and (if i get my job) take a copy to work, just to remind me.

I really think this made me see the light!! I hope it works for you all as well.

Bella23
Old 06-18-2002, 08:42 PM   #11  
it's always something

OMG, I can't believe I forgot about it! Maybe I should fork out the 7 bucks for a transcript after all.

I wonder if Dr. Phil will write a book on weight loss?
Old 06-18-2002, 09:28 PM   #12  

DHe must already have one because Oprah said is we missed any part of the five goals, we could check it out in his book. But I didn't catch the name.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:54 PM   #13  

I just got on the Oprah web site. I would recomend you all to go there. It has most of what he said as well as a 10 week program to lose weight. I have no idea how to hyperlink sorry. It's just Oprah.com.

Hope that helps

Bella23
Old 06-19-2002, 09:59 AM   #14  
Losin It For GOOD!

1. Set a very specific goal.

Remember that losing weight requires a change in thought and behavior, so set goals for your emotions and weight.
Don't just set vague goals like, "I want to lose some weight." Be specific: How much weight do you want to lose? How do you want to feel? Close your eyes and visualize yourself after you've reached those goals. Use this visualization to feel commitment and inner strength.

2. Work out a very specific strategy.

Will power doesn't work! To lose weight and keep it off, you must have a strategy.
Plan ahead: Get rid of your expandable clothes, stay away from fast food, and keep healthy food in your pantry.

3. Identify small, measurable steps.

Implement steps that will fit your lifestyle, not somebody else's.
Be sure to move toward a positive goal, not just away from being fat. Every step you take will bring you closer to being who you want to be.

4. Create a healthy, realistic timeline.

Where will you be in a month? six months? a year? Fit your goals to your calendar, and stick to it.
Don't expect to see huge results overnight; take the time to change your lifestyle, and you'll change your weight.

5. Create meaningful monitoring and accountability

If you know you have to report your progress to someone, you'll be more likely to stick with your plan.
"Go public" with somebody you trust. Find support when you need it, and celebrate your victories!

(taken from http://www.oprah.com/phil/weight/phil_weight_todo.jhtml )
Closed Thread