Old 05-07-2009, 12:08 AM   #1  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Question What's a good food scale to buy?

What's a good food scale to buy? I have an old manual one, but would like a newer verzion.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #2  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickieLou View Post
What's a good food scale to buy? I have an old manual one, but would like a newer verzion.
Someone here recommended this one to me. I bought it and really like it.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...947047&RN=1151
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have two digital scales. One I bought several years ago at a Weight Watcher's meeting. It was about $30, I believe. At the time, that was the average price for a digital scale.

My WW scale still works, but I broke or lost the battery compartment door, so I used the universal fix - duct tape. To change the battery, I have to change the duct tape. So in January (resolution season) when I saw that Aldi (a discount grocery chain) advertised a digital food scale in their flyer for $15, I bought it. I don't remember the brand - and I checked and it's not written on the scale (and I don't have the box anymore).

I haven't thrown out my Weight Watcher's scale, and having two scales can come in handy, so until one actually dies, I will use both. I tested the new scale against the old one, and found that they're both very reliable (I never get one reading on one scale, and a different, even slightly different reading on another).

I actually prefer the newest scale, because while both scales have a function to weigh in kilograms/grams or pounds/ounces, the switch is on the underside of the Weight Watcher's scale, and on the newer scale it's on the front/top. This means that I can easily weigh a food and just press a button to check both ounces and grams without having to turn the scale over and reweighing.

The zero function is great to have (both have it), and comes in handy. For example, at meals, you can put your plate on the scale and zero it out, then add a food, and weight it, then zero out again and add the next food.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #4  
ZeusMeatball

S/C/G: 534/309/275

Height: 6'4''

I have been using a Salter scale like this one Salter scale and it has been great, very accurate and easy to clean up etc because it is stainless steel. it will show you the weight in oz or g whichever you choose and I think we paid about $30-$40 for it.

I started off with a mechanical one as well and the digital salter is superior in every way IMHO

As Ever
Me
Botzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #5  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I have a Taylor 6.6lb capacity digital scale -- I got it for $30 at Target about a month ago. I know you can get them on eBay for less, but I didn't have the patience to wait for it; I wanted it NOW!

All the points everyone had made have been good ones, and everyone also has a different scale. So, my take would be that the brand of scale doesn't matter, or the price for that matter. Just buy whatever digital scale you can find at a reasonable price, but make sure it has the tare capability (enables you to zero out the weight of the plate, for example) and the grams / ounce capability. The price seems to range from $15 - $40.

Good luck; you're going to love having one!

Last edited by newleaf123; 05-07-2009 at 03:10 PM.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #6  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I bought a Michael Graves Design brand food scale at Target about two years ago and it's still going strong and I love it. It was $30 at the time and has all of the functions that everyone has mentioned above.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:45 AM   #7  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Thank You all for the great information on food scales! I hadn't realized there were so many to choose from. I will be going shopping soon.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote