Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #1  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Default update about my surgery last week for loose skin

Hi guys! I posted last week that I was getting surgery to deal with some loose skin problems... a lower body lift and breast augmentation. Well, it's done and I am through the hardest part of recovery.

To be honest, it hasn't been all that hard. I took prescription pain pills when I needed to and managed the pain, and now that I don't need them I don't take them and I do alright with ibuprofen and tylenol. It's better that way because the prescription pills made me feel "out of it" all the time, tired, and constipated. It's my breasts that hurt most and really it's not bad, unless I move my arms in an awkward way. The only time I really have pain is when I'm trying to fall asleep and I'm a bit uncomfortable or when I wake up first thing in the morning. Other than that, it's just the odd twinge.

I still can't move around as well as usual but I have been out walking and I can bend down and do those kind of everyday movements if I'm careful about it. I'm wearing a girdle type of garment around my middle and when I take it off, it's so strange to me to be without that constriction and also it looks strange to me in the mirror. My silhouette has completely changed since my stomach is now much flatter (no apron of skin hanging down) and my breasts are rather large for what I'm used to.. and the implants haven't settled into place yet so they look a little funny and awkward too. I also have drains coming out of my sutures, like tubes that are draining liquid into a few little containers that look like grenades, which I empty a few times a day and I record how much liquid comes out. When it gets below an acceptable level, my surgeon will remove the drains.

Although I haven't been able to fully enjoy it yet, it's already quite interesting to have a mostly flat stomach for the first time since I was a child. As I posted in the 20somethings forum, I went walking yesterday and felt my pants brushing against my pubic area which is a totally FOREIGN feeling to me. Usually my belly would push my pants out! It's the little things like that, that I have had the opportunity to notice so far.

Anyway things are going fine and if anyone has any questions let me know.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #2  

Congratulations.Glad you are doing well.Bet you feel like a new woman!Enjoy your new body.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #3  
Meg

Yay! It sounds like you're doing so well! You'll be amazed and delighted with your new shape as the swelling goes down and the implants drop into the right place. The hard part is over and you're on the road to a fantastic recovery!!

Keep us updated!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

I want PICS!!!! I am so jealous, or envious, one of those words, maybe both
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #5  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Soooo glad to hear you are doing well!!!!!!!!!!
Its so funny that there are stupid little things like the way your pants fit you that you would have never even thought of before!!! Hahahahaha
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #6  
back in the game

Shrinkingchica, to tell you the truth, I actually DID think about that before, a little too much probably. But I know what you mean!

Thank you Harrismn and Meg! Meg I hope you're right about the implants dropping because they look a little funny right now. lol Overall I am happy so far though, and looking forward to the end result.

Willow650.. Thanks, eventually I will post pics for sure! When I look less like I just came out of surgery!
Old 05-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #7  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Lol you're too funny! hahah
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #8  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

Hi there! Did you have a tummy tuck with the lower body lift? The reason I am asking is because I want a TT after I lose more weight and was wondering about those drains. do they freak you out? Do they hurt? How long do you have to have them in? Is there pain there? Or sensitivity? Thank you and enjoy that flat belly! LOL
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #9  
back in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyMr View Post
Hi there! Did you have a tummy tuck with the lower body lift? The reason I am asking is because I want a TT after I lose more weight and was wondering about those drains. do they freak you out? Do they hurt? How long do you have to have them in? Is there pain there? Or sensitivity? Thank you and enjoy that flat belly! LOL
A lower body lift involves a tummy tuck, yes. It is basically a tummy tuck that goes all the way around 360 degrees and also lifts the butt area.

Interesting that you would comment on the flat belly, because I made an appointment with my surgeon today to discuss with him the fact that my belly is NOT, in fact, flat. It seems that I may need another surgery to fix the issue--he set up an appointment for me in a month to see if it looks more normal then. Right now, it is MUCH improved from the "pannus" I had hanging down before, but it's not flat, it looks ugly, and it sucks.

I was getting all anxious about it but now that I have talked to him about it I feel ok, now that he has told me the situation. Apparently this is common with people who lose a lot of weight. During the surgery he pulled the skin tight but unfortunately the poor elasticity of the skin has just made it loose again and it is hanging down over the scar and it looks strange. I accept that it might take time to get the results I want but at least I am on my way.

Regarding the drains--they didn't freak me out but they freaked some people out when they saw me with them. lol They were annoying... fluid leaked on me from the holes, they were painful sometimes, annoying to shower with, and they made my clothes bulky, etc. I had 4 drains--4 tubes going into 2 containers that looked like these little plastic grenades. After 2 weeks my surgeon took 2 drains out and I was left with 1 container, the next week he took out one more, and finally after 4 weeks I think they were all gone. Normally they take them out faster but I am a big girl (tall) so they were draining a large surface area. Anyway by the end they were really irritating but I survived, and you will too!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #10  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

congrats on your fast healing, and I hope the surgeon can get you to where you want your tummy to be! I love to hear success stories of reconstructive/augmentative surgery. If I had the $$$ I'd sooooo do it.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #11  
back in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post
congrats on your fast healing, and I hope the surgeon can get you to where you want your tummy to be! I love to hear success stories of reconstructive/augmentative surgery. If I had the $$$ I'd sooooo do it.
Thanks, I hope so too! I'll keep updating about it.