Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #1  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Default Pole dancing...

Okay, I know this is kind of a weird question, but has anyone ever taken pole dancing classes? They look like so much fun, and I think they would do WONDERS for my self esteem. However, the body control and the need for upper body strength kinda worries me.

It looks like it would build quite a bit of arm and leg muscle. Anyone try it before? Is it hard? How thin would one have to be to be able to do all those moves?
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/196/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi, I did a 6 week course at the end of last year and I was at my heaviest at 206 although I am quite lean even at a heavy weight, it is true you need a good upper body strength, but tbh you soon get a hand of the moves, I was clinging to the pole and spinning by the 2nd class. It is so much fun, and tbh you start to feel sexy pretty quick

Well worth a try if you find a class =)
Koshinogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 201 / 188 / 160

Height: 5'9"

My godmom does them, and loves them!! A girl I went to high school actually owns a place near me, and I've been wanting to get over there. My godmom says it's doing great things for her arse, and her husband likes it too....hehehe!!
M Dizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Height: 5'6"

I've tried a few classes, they are a lot of fun. The moves take a lot of upper body strength and really push you. Some of the moves can be intimidating to try, especially if there are others that are ahead of you. But give it a go, it's kind of like playing on a jungle gym.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #5  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

I would love to do this. I might make classes a reward for my 1/2 mark goal!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #6  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Belly dancing is fun too!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/166/130

Height: 5' 2.5"

I took a pole dance class online with Alena Downs (highly recommend). She teaches pole dance via webcam (in case you don't have a studio near by). In only one hour, I learned some cool new moves. I have a couple of pole studios an hour away, but have never tried them out (would love to though).

I pole danced for a few months in my living room. Good workout, helps improve self esteem and really does strengthen and tone. There's lots of sexy beginner moves than anyone can do with a little practice. You'll build those muscles for advanced moves the more you practice.

I once made a pole from Home Depot parts which worked until DH took it down (though I recommend buying a professional pole like Lil Minx (weight limit- 180 lbs), Platinum Stages or X-pole (weight limit- 220lbs), and learned by watching videos online and joining pole dance forums. I was 130 lbs when I used my homemade pole and all it required was occasional retightening. Size/weight doesn't matter if the pole is properly attached to ceiling and floor.

I think pole dancing is a great workout and would recommend it for anyone with an open mind. I'd LOVE to starting pole dancing again for fitness, though money prevents this at present time.

Hopefully you can find a studio nearby that allows drop-ins for about $25-30 a class. This will save you from spending $200-400 on a good dance pole. If you find one, ask what their weight limit is for pole dance, since each pole varies.

P.S. If you buy your own pole (which is great if you'll stick with it), DO NOT buy a Peekaboo or Carmen Electra dance pole (or any other pole from Spencers stores). Those are props (gag gifts), used to shimmy around, but will not hold your weight when you spin (even 100-lb girls)... you'll want one that will screw into the ceiling for support.

P.S.S. I just asked on the PoleJunkies forum what the weight limits were for most poles, so I'll update when I get a response (above numbers results of web search).

Last edited by ferretgirl; 05-05-2009 at 04:32 PM.
ferretgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 269/215/165

Height: 5'6

Oh I really want to try this, and I'm glad you made the post. Keep us updated if you do try it. I'll have to look around to see if there are any classes in my area. Then maybe this fall get into it. Right now I really just want to get some of this weight off, but I bet that would be a great way to tone (and lose weight of coures).
MrsHomeStretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #9  

Update (reply from a pole dance instructor regarding weight limits):

I spoke to Stacey at Xpole on Tuesday last week about this. She said that apparently all the weight limits posted have been blown out of the the water by some more recent tests. So they don't post a limit.

I always thought it was 300lb of sideways force. The vertical force is more dependent on the ceiling/floor strength than the pole!!!

Remember that any limit is only applicable when the pole is installed correctly.

Hope this helps

Oh, I remembered, there is a (former) plus-size girl on youtube who posts videos of her pole dance journey. She started in 2006 and has lost weight and is even a pole dance instructor now. If interested, search for oliviashelster on youtube.

Last edited by ferretgirl; 05-06-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #10  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

I would love to take a pole dancing class. Probably could use the tips so I can put them to use perhaps after I hit my goal.
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 161/150/135

Height: 5"

Thumbs up

OMG!! They are so much fun and a very good work out. I must warn you, you will be hella sore the next few days and even have bruises on your arms and legs from crawling on the floor and swinging on the pole. But it is so worth it! You tone up, gain strength, and not to mention fell a little sexy about yourself. Try it girl, you'll like it!
mzsoto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #12  

Most poles I've seen now claim a weight max of 200-240 lbs.

I recently got a 1-month membership to a pole dance studio for $100 (great deal!!), so I'm going at least 3x/week. This is my second week and I can already do some of the beginner spins. There are big girls in some of the classes, and they do just as good as the "skinny minis".

Here's some interesting info from my studio's website:
Quote:
There are young and mature students that enjoy Pole Fitness. Age is irrelevant and we have seen that weight is irrelevant. The most important thing to be able to enjoy our classes is determination. Determination is the only thing that will separate you from another student. We have 50 year old mothers who perform better than their daughters. We have a 16 year old that can perform better than a body builder. You will be amazed at what you can do with determination!

If you have not performed many physical activities in the past 6 months, then we recommend that you start with the Burlesque Class and it's full 4 week series, then you can move onto Pole Dancing Level One class.

If your weight has kept you from any physical exercise for more than six months, then I suggest starting with one of our specialty classes first. In Pole Dancing you are lifting your body off of the floor and taking flight to defy gravity, you must believe that you can do it, to truly enjoy our class.

Our Pole Fitness Classes Level 1 - 4, are specifically designed to target women's most complained about areas and these are your arms, butt and belly.

If you do at least 3 to 4 classes a week and include Pole Level 1, Pole Exotic Fusion, Yoga and Rock N Pole, then yes, you will get a complete total body workout. You must commit to get F.I.T. !
(copied from The Girls Room FAQs Page: http://www.thegirlsroom.us/pages/questions.html)

Most pole studios have different levels, so you'll start at level 1. Most instructors are very helpful and they'll give you individual help so you get the moves. Some studios have less strenuous classes like burlesque or lap dance that you can start with if you're not quite ready for pole yet (planning on taking burlesque classes with my mom)
Old 07-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

i would do pole dancing...for the gymnastic benefits...I probably wouldn't try to do dance routines on it....but you would catch me hanging from it very frequently...I love those bars they have at the civic center.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #14  

Pole dancing is awesome for so many reasons!

I took a few classes with friends of mine and loved it! I stopped enrolling because the expense was not justifiable to my budget. I'd love to start again. It is a lot of exercise involved but a fun way of toning and losing. You also focus more on what you're eating/drinking, how you walk, your posture, your confidence, etc.

I made it to the intermediate level and was actually going to purchase one for my home. A few of my friends are still enrolled. One of them has actually joined our instructor for various shows.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote