Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Exercising Outside and Staying Pale?

I'm obsessed with the idea of being pale as possible, no easy task when you live in Hawaii and have no car (have to walk a lot of places). I've already been tanning some so I've switched into hypergear to do everything possible to get paler.
I've been wearing long jeans and shoes, etc., trying to cover up as much skin as possible. I've also been trying to wear sunblock anytime I have to set foot outside any day, even if it's cloudy.
Also, I've started using a parasol for whenever I am outside to shield myself (especially my face) from the sun, in addition to my sunblock.
But the issue is exercising... I can't exactly use a parasol when I'm working out. So I thought perhaps the best compromise would be to go exercising for an hour RIGHT when the sun comes out. I'd be too afraid to do it before then in the dark though.
Would this time be dark enough to ensure that if I wear sunblock I won't really get a lot of sun exposure?
What are the best sunblocks for when you are going to be sweating a lot? I'm assuming SPF 50 is best, right? I would prefer a sunblock because I've heard they aren't absorbed by your skin so they're not as bad for you.
I just really want to be moonlight pale, or at least as pale as my stomach is, so I'm assuming that's as pale as I'm capable of being! So I'm doing everything in my power to do so and REALLY don't want my exercise screwing that up.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Wearing sunblock and exercising during the early morning or late evening hours should work. Wear a waterproof sunblock if you sweat a lot. Wicking clothing can help as well - if you feel that you want to wear longer pants and sleeves.

I wear sunblock when I garden and work outside and I don't really notice any color change - I stay as pale as ever. Of course I live in Northern Michigan, and our sun exposure is different.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

um, wow, no advice here, never met anyone who was trying to stay pale, especially in Hawaii. I guess cotton or linen pants and long sleeve t-shirts. I would be worried about over heating though. Can you just exercise indoors? There is sunblock spf 60, that's has high as I know. Can I ask why you are concerned about staying so pale? Do you just prefer the look?
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Friend influence + I like the look.
Most of my friends are either goth or from Asia and thus they prize pale skin. I personally think I look a lot prettier with pale skin than tanned skin and would love to get it pale enough to dye my hair black and have that nice contrast of the light skin with the dark hair. I still want to exercise, I just don't want to get tanned is all.
Exercising indoors as a college student can be tough. The gym can get crowded and doesn't always fit MY schedule, etc.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

I'm a red-head with very pale (and burnable) skin, and several family members have had skin cancer, so while my reasons for staying out of the sun are slightly different than yours are, I sympathise with how hard it can be to avoid the rays!

I have a very nice hat collection. All with wide brims and some are definitely fit for a goth look. The hats keep the sun off my face, neck and, depending on how wide the brim is, my shoulders. Perhaps you can find a canvas one that's comfortable to exercise in?

There is a product called sunguard that you can use to wash your exercise clothing in once in a while. It gives the clothing a higher SPF rating. Wet clothing loses some of it's SPF factor, so if you're a big sweater, you'll need to keep that in mind.

You don't need a SPF 50 early in the morning or late in the evening - the higher number doesn't give you more protection, it gives you protection for longer. something between 20-30 should be plenty of SPF and cost much less than 50. But do buy a waterproof one.

I know this seems kind of obvious, and maybe you already do it, but if you need to exercise closer to mid-day, plot a specific route that keeps you mostly on the shady side of the street. I have mental maps of how to get pretty well everywhere I need to go by keeping to the shade.

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 205/152/105

Height: 5'1"

I've always been a sun-avoider as well because I burn very easily, the light hurts my eyes and I'm trying to delay the development of any wrinkles. I know a few girls that are my age and younger with the skin of someone 15 years older just because they spent so much time trying to get a tan.

I really like the aveeno clear spray on spf 80. It is quick and easy to apply, and not sticky like other brands.

I also use a moisturizer with spf 15 and spf 15 pressed powder from Chanel (a rather large splurge for me, but I find it to be worth it)

I have a few hats for days when the sunscreen just doesn't cut it, and for times when I'm invited to the beach, I bring a dark colored but lightweight sheet to cover myself with. It works for enjoying the warmth but not not the burn.
Dalgishake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #7  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I'd definitely recommend a hat when working out outside and make sure all lotions include an SPF. On that note, you can by special clothes that also block UVA and UVB rays. When I want to get out of the sun, I run at night. Buddy up and stay safe.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 249.4/ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

i read somewhere that blue is good to wear, it blocks light like an spf and not as hot as black. I would recommend putting on a moisturizer everymorning with spf or even a foundation with it in it. And u can eat to help give ur skin natural spf, I think it was vitamin a, so carrots and for some reason I'm thinking something in blueberries boost your skins resistance to sun damage (which is what tanning does). i read that in a prevention mag one time. u could probably do research on their website they have tons of great articles. Just make sure u get enough vitamin D from your diet or vitamin supplements! Since your avoiding the sun.

Some years I really like to be pale too, and some years I want to be as tan as possible. I have a goth side to me I've always loved vampires! :P I'm have native and half white but I am the palest out of my sisters. So I really like it too when my skin is pale and against my dark hair. But this year my goal is to get as brown as I can and look like a real Indian! lol!

Last edited by Platinum; 05-09-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 273/273/220

Height: 5'5

i love that there are other people out there that enjoy being pale.
im irish decent freckles and arburn hair, burn very easliy even in the shade. my eyes are also sensitve to light, apparently blue eyes are.
but i love the fact that not ever one is trying to turn into living leather. i live at the beach where i am surronded by tanorexics.

keep up the good work. and props for bringing back the parasol and hats. just remember you did need a little sun for vitamins. i heard some new study were they said you should get around 10 min un blocked sun a day to maintain healthy levels in your system. how true i cant say.

there are some things like lemon juice and perxoid that can lighten skin along wih creams sold over the counter yould have to look into it though. try asian sites its where ive seen most skin lighteners.
bumblybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow650 View Post
um, wow, no advice here, never met anyone who was trying to stay pale, especially in Hawaii. I guess cotton or linen pants and long sleeve t-shirts. I would be worried about over heating though. Can you just exercise indoors? There is sunblock spf 60, that's has high as I know. Can I ask why you are concerned about staying so pale? Do you just prefer the look?
I am another one who PREFERS to stay pale!! My mother, father, and grandfather have all had small spots of skin cancer removed. Also, my mother and grandmother have a lot of sun damage from years of sunbathing and/or tanning beds-more wrinkles, sun spots/uneven skin tone...etc.

In my profession, the best dancers are the older and more experienced ones (and rightfully so) so it is important to me to preserve my skin (and my youthful appearance) as much as possible, so that I can continue to dance in restaurants, do belly grams, etc. for many years to come. I am in my mid-thirties, and I plan on dancing for AT LEAST the next 25+ years...

When I went to my 10 year high school reunion in 2003, all of the girls who tanned a lot through high school, etc. and the 10 years after all looked like luggage compared to those of us who chose not to sunbathe/go to the tanning bed.

Also, because I am naturally fairer skinned (of Celtic descent) I simply look better pale. It is more striking-especially since there are so many tanned women with highlighted hair walking around-honestly, it sets me apart from the rest. I get many compliments on my deep red hair, and ivory skin. It is quite the contrast from everyone else around me.

Here is a picture from me in a dance festival on Sunday-here with two of my friends (live drummers). We were getting ready to go on stage for a performance.

Embrace the pale!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AdamAmyRyan05092009.jpg (29.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by aphil; 05-12-2009 at 07:51 AM.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote