Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #1  
I'm Praying for a Miracle

S/C/G: 232/196/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default Starting to run! couple questions..

I started to think about running 3/11/09
I am up to running 1 minute, speedwalking 2 minutes..
I do a mile a day on the treadmill. takes about 15 minutes to complete the mile)

Then I wak 2 miles a day (just walk) on the street.

Question.. If i run 1 mile a day. and walk 2 miles..
does it still equal 3 miles? sounds like a funny question, but i hear people say.. walking and running are two differnt things?

how long should it take me to get my body ready to run full time like for a 5k?
i still have a good 25-35 pounds to lose. before im in good shape..lost about 15 so far this year.. and 27 pounds since last year at this time..

Any suggestions? or comments would be great!

thanks!
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Look at 5k training plans. I think runnersworld.com has good training plans that can evaluate your current status and your goal. It should really take you less than 2 months to run a 5k based on your current ability.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #3  
Breathe the pressure

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5' 9"

Well I don't really see how walking or running 3 miles would make a difference. An inch is an inch, a meter is a meter, and a mile is a mile wether it's walked or ran. Kind of like that question which is heavier a pound of feather or a pound of bricks, it doesn't matter because it's still a pound.

As for running a 5k I just started running less then 8 weeks ago I think and I just came home from my first 5k ever! I couldn't run the entire thing but I'd say I ran about 2.5 miles of it at least. My time was about 37:12 to complete it though I may be off by just a few seconds since I didn't get to see the official results list yet. I've been using the couch to 5k program and love it! I also have lots of weight to still lose but I'm truckin along lol. You can do it good luck!
GypsyLove is offline   Reply With Quote