Old 05-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

Default A goal in calorie counting and nutrition

I overheard on television a discussion about why people are obese. They basically had two categories for a majority of obese people which were:

1. They have the knowledge, as to how to lose weight, but lack the will power to overcome fast foods, sugar-filled goods, soda pop, and binging.

2. They are uneducated in the ways of eating healthy and exercise, and associate food as something that makes you feel good.

Before anyone gets upset at the categorizing, I'll just say this. The two categories above definitely pertain to myself, because before I started this diet I didn't even know what a calorie was, and I never read the nutritional facts on the foods that I ate. I must have looked at the facts a million times and thought ' does anyone really care about this stuff? '. This way of thinking lead me to reach 300lbs at 20 years old.

I took the step to educate myself on aspects of calorie counting and nutrition, because I knew I was not going to last much longer. My period had completely stopped, and my health was taking a downward spiral. I guess I reached that breaking point. I logged every morsel of food I put into my mouth and created daily nutritional goals.

As time passed I grew tired of logging my food, and I thought that was it for my weightloss, I would just go back to the way I used to eat. I'll admit that not logging my food everyday has caused me to go off plan occasionally, but it is always reasonable because I now have the knowledge to eat foods I enjoy without inducing a binge or obsessing over what my nutritional percentages are.

Which brings me to my goal. I eat healthy, I watch my calories, I exercise, and my health is improving. I don't HAVE to use fit day, or a heart rate monitor, calorie counter, or anything like this. I don't have to be obsessed with my diet, or unhappy with it. I KNOW that I will be able to get down to a healthy size now, and I am so proud!

I still wonder why it took me so long to learn. I don't remember ever being taught about nutrition in school, or from my parents, but I could of just been off in my own world during these conversation . . . which I used to be really bad about.

Right now, there is no excuse to gain the weight back. If I ever did, I would fall under the first category. Lazy and unmotivated. Refusing to use the knowledge I now have.

These categories do not pertain to everyone, and some people don't like categorizing at all. I understand. I was just wondering if you guys had categories that you would consider yourself to fall under? Why are YOU obese/overweight?

Also, what are better ways to make people more aware of the calories they are eating, along with their nutrition? It just scares me that I went 19 years w/o a clue!
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #2  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

Well, you're not alone, I can tell you that. I'm so glad you were able to come to all these conclusions while you're young enough to be able to lose the weight relatively easily.

Last edited by freshmanweightorbust; 05-01-2009 at 09:59 AM.
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #3  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

I have to say it is very true..i have all the knowlege, and even proffesional training but yet..here i am.

i have tried every diet in the book, even starvation, belimia...but now finally at the age of 35, i have the will to take it off. i use to think that taking it off fast was the right way to do it..wrong..slow and stead wins the race.

honestly..i had a goal..to stay away from macdonlds..and now it grosses me out, and i have no problem being around ppl when they eat it. and tim hortons, i was blinded by thier calorie number..i thought a bagel was 100 cal..yeah try more like 300..eeks

i have decide im no longer going to be a over weight person, i am going to be smart, take it off reasonable, and exercise. and not have a date with the scale 10 times a day.
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #4  

freshmanweightorbust - Thanks :] Even though I wish it had clicked earlier. I've been obese since elementary school.

canadianangel - Same here. I've been on the three day diet, cabbage soup diet, grapefruit diet, etc. They all made me lose, but it wasn't something I could sustain for the rest of my life. Mcdonalds grosses me out sometimes, but I actually ate there the other day. I just got a cheeseburger (NOT DOUBLEMEAT) dry, and a small fry. Not the healthiest thing in the world to eat, but it is something I can have, on the rare occasion, without making myself overeat. I think that over time everyone finds out what they can and cannot have in order to maintain/lose weight.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #5  
getting healthier!

S/C/G: 267/266/140's

Height: 5'7''

That's great that you educated yourself Kudos to you!

I think I may be a little bit of both categories. At first I really didn't know how to go about losing weight, then by researching and talking to people I realized I need to exercise AND eat right... and what do you know, I lost weight.... but then I started getting lazy, not exercising, and not eating right... and I'm the heaviest I've ever been.. and I'm so ashamed of it.. but that shame motivates me more than anything to lose weight and exercise and eat healthy foods. I totally have the will and insight to lose weight now
nik1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #6  

Height: 5'11

I do agree with those statements. I knew exactly how to get healthy but living with people at the time that didn't want to eat anything other than fried food made me give in. We know what happens when we eat bad things yet we continue to do it. Its a mean cycle. Im also with you on the calorie counting. I started actually logging them in and once i realized what i could consume I just monitored it instead of logging every little thing i ate, and grats on letting yourself have that hamburger. I learned that as well. You cant completely cut out everything you once loved or it will never work in the long run. I have my days that I will eat something not very healthy but only in moderation and you know what, I dont feel guilty for it. Its just learning how to fit it into your daily allowance. I have a very hard time with children and the way they are raised on nutrition. My little brother for example is considered "Obese" for his age of 11, yet my mother gives him 2 huge helpings of food at dinner(Which my mother gets mad when i confront her about it ), and i ask him what he has at school and he tells me they had CHEESE STICKS with marinara!!! Cheese sticks? for a lunch meal? Do people think thats healthy? It really bothers me. I try my best to include my brother in some sort of exercise but he doesnt want to listen and continues to eat whatever my mother feeds him. I live at home as well and I have to go out of my way to make myself something healthy to eat, Its not an easy task and everyone critizes me about "OMG its fried she wont eat it" and it really bothers me but you know what when im healthy and there not maybe then they will wake up. When I have kids I hope to be able to teach them about being active and healthy.
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #7  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I fell under both. The reason I reached over 255lbs was because I wasn't educated about the foods I had put into my body. I ate tons of fast food, tons of pizzeria food, tons of T.V dinners [those huge hungry man ones], tons of cakes, candies, and other goodies. Tons of whatever I could.

Now I know what I should and shouldn't put in my body. The things I should eat daily, the ones in moderation. Thus why I've lost over 50lbs. I do have my slip ups. I am going through one now. It's usually because of my lack of planning and I still have a hard time overcoming my social-eating. But I am getting there. I've stopped my binges and I can maintain my weight during those slip ups.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #8  

Wow pammy I really admire your efforts to get your brother healthy. Maybe one day he will come to you for help, but I know that when I was that young I didn't want to hear a word about my eating and totally blew everyone off about it :\.

Quote:
Now I know what I should and shouldn't put in my body. The things I should eat daily, the ones in moderation. Thus why I've lost over 50lbs. I do have my slip ups. I am going through one now. It's usually because of my lack of planning and I still have a hard time overcoming my social-eating. But I am getting there. I've stopped my binges and I can maintain my weight during those slip ups.
I think that planning is important . . . having the right foods around and resisting temptation in social situations is sometimes hard for me. Like the other day I was over at my friend's house and she had a buttload of cookie cake slices from her job left over and kind of threw it in my face whereas I gave in and ate a slice...I didn't want to eat it but I did anyway and it was tough working around it lol. Congrats on stopping the binges, doll, :] that is HUGE
Old 05-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #9  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I think I would fall into both categories.

I just always had unhealthy eating habits. My mother only ate once a day, so that was our biggest meal, even though the rest of us at lunch and breakfast, so I was a chubby child. Then in highschool. when she would comment about it, I turned borderline anorexic, and my life has just been a yo-yo since then - I was always overweight, but not obese, probably because I was very active up until college. After I wasn't able to walk everywhere, or work out for 2 hours a day, that's when I gained the weight. I could eat within calories and points, but if I'm not moving, weight won't fall off, and I think that took years for me to realize.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/222/165

Height: 5'5.5

I think I would be a number 1.
straightup09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I think they missed a category and that is "pregnancy" honestly, I was always really fit, on the heavier side, but really really fit, then I got pregnant... and well... the rest is history, soon to be "ancient" history!
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #12  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather88 View Post

I think that planning is important . . . having the right foods around and resisting temptation in social situations is sometimes hard for me. Like the other day I was over at my friend's house and she had a buttload of cookie cake slices from her job left over and kind of threw it in my face whereas I gave in and ate a slice...I didn't want to eat it but I did anyway and it was tough working around it lol. Congrats on stopping the binges, doll, :] that is HUGE
I think planning is VERY important. I noticed if I don't plan or have my food stocked up, I have a bigger tendency to slip. I'll usually go out to eat and eat badly. This month I didn't get to go food shopping the way I wanted to, thus my absence of being healthy-conscience. I need to kick my butt. Hahah.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I was in the "depressed so I'm going to eat myself happy" category. I never really recognized my weight gain until one day after my ex and I split. Then I found 3FC, read up about health and nutrition, and started losing. So I guess the 2nd part would be the 2nd category you had listed.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Those categories may fit most cases, but I disagree that *all* people who end up heavy fall into one of those two categories.

I already knew a lot about nutrition, though some of my knowledge was misinformation (due to cutting my teeth during the all-fat-is-bad eighties, sorry -- I'm not a 20-something). But I certainly knew all about calories and healthy foods (good oils aside).

I gained my weight eating primarily healthy food, just too much of it. Too much brown rice, lentils, and other foods that are very healthy in moderation. I will admit that I coupled my over abundant diet with a sedentary lifestyle. But I got as heavy as I did because of denial -- I really didn't realize how heavy I'd become.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote