Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #1  

Thumbs up Supporting Each Other on our Weight Loss Journey!

This is a great thread for those who want support, helpful hints, friendship and a great bunch of people to communicate with. This thread has existed for a long time and we keep re-starting it whenever the old one gets too long. Feel free to stop in and chat, we are not a "closed" group and welcome newcomers. Some of us have been together for well over a year, some only a few days, but we care about each other. We offer tips, we share, we pick each other up of the floor when we've had rough times and we applaud when someone does well.

So, please do stop on by and share a bit, support is what it's all about! We can really do this together.

Last edited by derrydaughter; 04-26-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #2  

We went away over night and I kind of blew it last night going out to dinner. I really have to take a long, serious look at what I do when I eat out. Never seems to fail that I get to a place and "forget" what I want to achieve.

Paige, I hope your daughter is doing OK. We'll be having something like that here in about 2 weeks as my DD will be coming home from college and then getting all four wisdom teeth out. I'm not looking forward to that week at all. The diet will be kind of similar to your daughter's. Any tips?

Paige, I've always been a coupon clipper during good and bad times. I also learn more towards generic brands when times are tough. Though, I refuse on a few items as I can't stand generic tissues and paper towels, etc. Nothing like getting a cold or having allergies and using one of those awful scratchy things! : ) Another thing I have learned about saving money on groceries is to shop by the sales fliers. I really keep track of prices and when there is a good sale, I plan my weekly meals around those.
I also become obsessive about using leftovers to create new meals, cooking in larger amounts and freezing and things like that. I think you can really help.
Why not start growing your own veggies this year as well? Gardening is great exercise and you'll save tons of money on produce and your little girls might just love helping.
Another great idea, if you have a bread machine or like baking (and I know you do Paige!) is to bake your own bread. Commercially made breads are really expensive. The main concern I have is portion control when it comes to homemade breads. Does anyone have a lower calorie/high fiber breads that are yummy?

I also belong to BJ's and take advantage of certain price deals there. However, their deals can be deceptive and I have learned to be very watchful.

Renacer, I might like that potato salad without the potato recipe, sounds interesting if you have the time.

Trysh, good weigh in for you, right? Was that 192 a loss for you? I think so. At any rate, with your starting weight of 215, I'd say you are making great progress! Good job.

We were up at our cabin on the lake overnight and I was so happy to open up for the season. I am thinking about heading back up there Tuesday through Thursday this week. I'm also toying with the idea of getting a part time job up in the Lake Winnepesaukee area for the summer. But, I probably won't in the end. I would like to divide my time and spend extra days here and there up there, though.
It was gorgeous up there this weekend, almost 90 degrees and a nice breeze. Felt like summer, but I think it seemed hotter than that as there are no leaves out on the trees yet and no shade. But, the best part about it all is that the bugs aren't out yet so you could sit outdoors and not be eaten alive. I'd like to get back up there and take advantage of this special time. I might toss my paddle boat in the water and get out for some exercise. We'll see.
If I do go, I'm going to plan some WW friendly meals and shop before I go up and hope to stay on plan. When I am there I often had trouble staying on program as there are so many great places up that way that we eat out at. But, if I plan my own meals and I am by myself, I shall have no excuses.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

Derry, my pleasure:

I can't believe it's not potato salad! (From Hungry Girl new recipe book):

Ingredients
1 large head cauliflower, roughly chopped
6 hard-boiled egg whites, chilled and chopped
1/2 envelope dry ranch dressing/dip mix
1 1/2 cups fat-free mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons Hellmann's/Best Foods Dijonnaise
2 tablespoons fat-free non-dairy liquid creamer
1 cup diced red onion
2 celery stalks, diced
1/4 cup chopped chives
3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped dill
2 tablesppons chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
Optional garnish: papikra

Directions

Place cauliflower in a large microwave-safe bowl, and pour 1/3 cup water over it. Cover and microwave for 6 to 8 minutes, until cauliflower is soft.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together ranch mis, mayo, sour cream, Dijonnaise, and salt. Set aside.

Once bowl is cool enough to handle, drain any excess water from cauliflower. Lightly mash 2 cups of the cauliflower (set the rest aside), and then place mashed cauliflower in a blender. Add creamer and puree or pulse until blended. Don't worry if the puree isn't completely smooth. Pous mayo mixture into the blender, and mis until blended and creamy.

Chop remaining cauliflower into small 1/2-inch pieces. Place cauliflower in a large bowl, and add onion, celery, and vinegar. Toss well and let sit for 5 minutes.

Pour blender mixture over the vegetables and mix well. Add chopped egg whites, chives, dill and parsley. Stir lightly.

Chill for several hours before serving. Sprinkle with paprika, if you like.

MAKES 10 SERVINGS

PER SERVING (2/3 cup): 97 calories, 1.25g fat, 729mg sodium, 17g carbs, 3g fiber, 8g sugars, 4.5g protein.

I haven't tried it, hope it's good.

Have a great night everyone, I'm exhausted since we spent all day at the zoo today.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #4  

Goooood Monday morning all!

We had a busy weekend here. Saturday we spent a lot of time outside in the beautiful weather, I also took a 4 mile walk around the lake; it was really nice. Yesterday dh and I split dds bedrooms up, turning the playroom back into a bedroom. Man! That was a CHORE! I had been threatening to do it because they kept fighting at bedtime, but it backfired on me when they started saying they WANTED to be split up! We were able to throw out a lot of old, broken toys, and get together a big pile of toys they don't play with to donate. I felt quite accomplished, but it was NOT what I wanted to be doing on the second 80+ degree day of the year!!!

I feel like I did pretty well eating wise this week, but the scale isn't feeling the same way. Dh bbq'd burgers (extra lean ground beef) Saturday and Sunday, so I went and bought some fat free feta, arugala, tomatoes, and a new bbq sauce. I also carmalized some onions in a little bit of evoo...seriously probably the best burger I've ever had. Mmmmmmmm. Dh did tater tots and onion rings on the bbq as well, but I skipped those and had corn on the cob instead. The only "bad" part was that I had a regular bun (they were on sale for 99 cents, and the lite ones were $3.19....I just couldn't do it!) The rest of the day, especially yesterday, I thought I did pretty good. I didn't even have dessert last night.

Renacer-The "potato" salad sounds really good...I'm going to have to try it. I get updates from HG...how is the cookbook?

Linda-I almost laughed a little when you suggested a veggie garden...I have tried so many times to be a gardener...I just am about the furthest thing from it. My mom is an awesome gardener, and so is my sister (she has even considered switching careers to become a landscaper) but me...uhhh, nope! I get inspired, buy flowers...then have to drag myself outside to plant them...and then dh ends up watering them them whole season! My MIL always gives me a hanging plant for mother's day, and it's always a joke with dh and I to see how long I can keep it alive. I am always so envious of other people's flower gardens, but just can't get myself to do the same thing. I also have "bad" memories of my mom forcing me to pick peas, weed the garden and snap green beans during summer vacation when I was little. LOL!

Anyway, dd is asking (whining!) me to get something for her, so I better go before she gets louder.

Have a great, op day all!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #5  

Renacer, thanks for typing that recipe out. I think I will give it a try! I'll leave out celery, though. I'm one of the few people in this world allergic to celery. It's kind of a pain when I eat out at times.

Paige, I've not been much of a gardener either, funny you should say that. I have tried several years and don't seem to do all that well with it. But, I thought I'd suggest it for you as I think it would be a great idea if you were budget conscious.
I have been able to grow potted cherry tomatoes, at least, but have given up on just about everything else. I wish I could do it well.

I'm heading off right now to get to work here at home. I'm leaving for our cabin at the lake tomorrow morning to stay for three days. I'm glad to be going there and hope that I can get in some walking.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #6  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Hi girls.

We had a busy weekend. I did my flower shopping on Saturday and also got my tomato plants.

Sunday we went to the Cards Cubs game. It was a hot day. I drank a lot of water and ate a quesadilla for lunch but I did have a very small dinner.

Today I got about half of my plants planted. Will try and do the rest tomorrow or Wednesday. Tomorrow will be busy as I volunteer Tuesday mornings and I have to go to physical therapy tomorrow afternoon for my tennis elbow.

Linda are you going on your own to the cabin? Sounds like fun.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #7  

Clydegirl, busy times call for us (including me) to draw upon all the knowledge we have gathered from Weight Watchers. Not so busy times, also, I guess? Considering that I am leaving this morning for our cabin and I will have what I would refer to as "down time" it could spell disaster for eating?
To answer your question, my mom and dad bought a small parcel of land on a lake in the Lakes Region of NH, near the large Lake Winnipesaukee. It's a small one mile long lake and very secluded from "city life". Our place is a small 735 s.f. cabin on the side of the lake. You literally can walk out the door and walk about 12 feet and have your feet in the water we are that close. I love it there. They built this place before I was born and I grew up spending all the summers of my life up there. I wish the cabin was winterized and able to be inhabited year-round as I would live there all the time if I could.
It is way too tempting for me to have a few days off mid-week with nothing on my schedule for a change, so off I go.
But, I have to admit to you all that that is a place of "sin" when it comes to eating. Firstly, it's a resort area and all the most wonderful restaurants are nearby. Also, when we are there, we are in "party mode" and we usually have all the best of foods and alcohol. So, I must be on my guard.
I have to teach myself, somehow, that being there doesn't almost mean I need to overeat. Sometimes, I think that if I didn't have this special place to escape to that I wonder if I'd even have a weight problem at all?
It will be a challenge.
I have Internet access while I am there and I hope to update you all on how things are going. I'll also be away for my usual WW meeting. When I get home, I'm going to try to get to a meeting on Thursday evening, but I am not 100% sure I'll have time.
So, off I go this morning. I look forward to enjoying the time looking out upon the water. We have loons up there and their call and antics are always exciting to watch.
I challenge myself to go for a walk as long as the bugs have not come out. The month of May in this area of the country has what is called "May Flies". These bugs come out when the weather warms up and they attack you and swarm you. It makes going for walks to be truly unpleasant. They come out when the leaves start to open and then go away by June each year. A screen porch is a very desirable thing to have this time of year. : )
One thing that is good is that my cousin is coming up with me and she and I both love to go antiquing, which can be good exercise. We may drive up to the White Mountains and hit antique and gift shops tomorrow. Up that far North, we might do a bit of walking and there will be no bugs. I hope to walk off anything extra I might eat.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Linda~ girl it sounds like you got it made!! Think of us while you're there...
Having a second place later on in life is kind of a goal for me and DH...well not really a second home,but we really like camping....and we have some friends that go to Florida from October till May in fact they should be back here in a week or two....anyway,I tell her all the time how jealous I am of her,lol especially when they leave every fall for Florida...but they have this big bus they stay live in while they're here,then they drive it back to Florida and park it in the rv park and use it as kinda like a "guest house" for visitors because they have a park model that they live in there...pretty cool,so DH and I have pretty much made up our minds that's what we want to do when the kids are finally gone and out of collegewe just have to really save save save,because I really don't work,except for upholstery,and I guess since I work for myself it's hard to really consider it a job,lol...and DH doesn't have retirement where he works...no 401k,which probably isn't a good thing to have right now anyway...but we do have other savings and stuff...anyway it's weird sometimes thinking about retirement when it still 30 years away,but the way I look at it...the first 34 years of my life have flown by so it'll be here before we know it...well I guess I will go..DS is up and he's being honory this morning!! Talk later..... Linda have a great time windin' down!!!LOL!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #9  

Linda-I envy you with the cabin. With the warm weather, I have been "craving" camping (although our version of camping is a KOA campground...there is no way we'd get the girls to sleep in a tent!!!) Your cabin with the lake sounds like true heaven. My parents own 100 acres, and my brother built a cabin there a few years ago. Dh and I would like to build one there as well sometime in the future, when finances permit.

For some reason, I had kind of an emotional day yesterday...I'm not even sure why. I was mad, frustrated but couldn't put my finger on the reason why. TOM will be in a few weeks, so it could be pms, but it seems a little early for that. We had somewhere to go last night, and when we got back I was so...annoyed...I ended up eating a big sugar cookie (I had been trying to perfect a recipe, and packed up all the cookies but two, thinking that dh would eat them when he got home from work.) I'm ok today with eating the cookie, I'm just more frustrated that I ate it because my emotions were off. Even today I'm still feeling annoyed and frustrated with life; I guess I just need to watch it and distract myself when I head for food to deal with how I'm feeling.

Hope everyone has a great day; it's supposed to be nice and warm again here today, but back to "normal" temps tomorrow!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #10  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Hi girls.

My weigh in day and I was down 3.8lbs. I was really pleased as we had gone to the baseball game and I also went to Bunco. There were lots of candy dishes and food at every table.

Anyways I am now wearing an elbow band and a wrist immobilisation splint for my tennis elbow. Have to go back in 3 weeks.

It's a lovely day and I need to go shopping.

Linda your cabin sounds wonderful, very relaxing. Just what I need.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #11  

I responded to Paige the other day and I don't jnow where is my post...Hopefully not in other group, I'm still getting use to all the sub-forums here hehehehe.

The book is really good if you want to have little snacks/meals during the day. It gives you a lot of different ideas and I love the fact that there are recipes for healthy quesadillas.

Hope everyone is doing great, I've been a little bit busy since my baby is having surgery next Monday.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #12  

Happy Thursday morning to everybody!!
Renacer~ Hope everything goes well with your baby's surgery,is it serious? surgery is a scary thing no matter what,but especially when it's a baby or child it just seems more serious,to me....
Clydegirl~ on your weightloss!!! your doing awesome woman!! I have so got to get my butt outta this rutt I'm in...I've been 192 then up and back to 192 for a month now....I'm trying for 190 by Mother's day....hopefully I can do it..
Paige~ I know what you feel...I have some days where I am so grouchy and perturbed that I can't even stand myself,so I can imagine how the kids and DH feel about me..lol..last night he called me grouchy...and I didn't realize I was,I guess it just comes naturally sometimes!!LOL!! and I too have 2-3 weeks before TOM so like I said before I have PMS,DMS,and AMS...PRE,DURING,and AFTER....are your tubes tied? because I do and so does my neice and both of us have gotten worse with our PMS since that and my periods are heavier too,but hers isn't....a friend of mine also had her tubes tied and her periods were worse,so she put herself on birthcontrol and now she said she is "AS HAPPY AS A LARK" LOL!! Anyway....dieting and constantly watching my weight I think has something to do with it,because I'm constantly thinking about it and stressing...so that might be part of our problem too and plus you have your brother to worry about....just alot to take in and alot of weight on your shoulders,ya know? it'll get better,though...maybe I shoud send you some hilarious emails to cheer you up!!
Linda~ hope you're having a relaxing time,Lord knows we all need a little R&R and a break from everyday stuff...can't wait to here about your stay!!
well I guess I'll go and do something productive around here at the house,do some picking up,DS clothes are laying everywhere,he changes clothes 2 or 3 times a day...and I gotta do laundry,again...so much to do.......
Old 04-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbysmom View Post
Happy Thursday morning to everybody!!
Renacer~ Hope everything goes well with your baby's surgery,is it serious? surgery is a scary thing no matter what,but especially when it's a baby or child it just seems more serious,to me....
Thanks!

This time are the adenoids and placing the tubes in the ears (he had open heart surgery when he was 3 1/2 month), I know this one is a simple surgery but I get a little bit scare about the anesthesia, but I need to stay positive.

I guess it is a mother instinct to wish that you could swap places.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #14  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

Renacer my son had an ear surgery & tube (he was born with a deformity inside his ear canal which they repaired, then placed the tube) when he was just under two years old. It only took like 15 minutes, but was the longest fifteen minutes of my life.

I was down a pound today, hooray! That makes 7 lbs since I started six weeks ago.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #15  

TGIF!!!!
Renacer~I've been thinking about your little feller all day...just stay positive..it seems like now adays ear tubes are getting more and more common,my DD is 10 now but when she was a baby all the way up till 4...she had one ear infection after another,and finally the summer before she started preschool the doctor was treating her for another ear infection and told me to bring her back in 2 weeks and if it wasn't any better that she would have to have tubes,well school had done already started by her 2 week check up and when I took her to the doc she was fine and hasn't had an ear infection since...I thought that was so weird...and DS he was on antibiotic the first month of his life for ear infections....and has had a few since,and he'll be 26 months tomorrow,it's just really hard when it's your baby and I totally agree with ya,when they hurt or get sick you do wish you could trade places with them,which is one reason why I used about 5 clorox wipes on my shopping cart this morning at kroger before I started shopping I even wiped mine and DS hands off too...the swine flu kinda has me a little worried...
Hoosier~ Alright on your lb weight loss!!!way to go!!!!!!!!!!...unfortunately I was 194 again.....blah...I'll do better next week!!
well I guess I better go I have taters to get in the oven,we're cooking out tonight and dad is coming over....we're having steak and chicken....twice baked taters,steamed broccolli,and garlic cheddar biscuits...I know way fattening some of it but I'm gonna load up on the broccolli and chicken!!LOL!! so I won't eat more than 1 biscuit,I love garlic cheddar biscuits,one of my weaknesses!!!
Closed Thread