Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 135/132.5/125

Height: 5ft4in

Default Eat, stop Eat or Intermittent Fasting?

www.eatstopeat.com

I was wondering if anyone here tried this? I checked out the thread in the diet central board, but I was kinda wondering how it worked for ladies in this age catagory/lifestyle?
Kataclismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/149/105

Height: 5'2

im starting this intermittent fasting today. i did work out in the morning, and did 50 minutes of cardio and some weights.
i plan on doing this for a couple of months...
joyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 120

Height: 5'2"

I started doing this for a little while, I got too overwhelmed trying to do IF and calorie counting at the same time. Plus, I felt sick during my 2nd fast. It was very uncomfortable.. I think it has potential though.
peccavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #4  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

What is it? I read the website, but it doesn't really tell you what you do...
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/149/105

Height: 5'2

hey jennierose,
i got this info from online

"Intermittent fasting (IF) is a pattern of eating that alternates between periods of fasting (usually meaning consumption of water only) and non-fasting. A specific form of IF is alternate day fasting (ADF), which is a 48-hour routine typically composed of a 24-hour fast followed by a 24-hour non-fasting period. (ADF is also sometimes referred to as every other day (EOD) fasting, or sometimes every other day feeding (EODF).)

There is some evidence that intermittent fasting may have beneficial effects on the health and longevity of animals—including humans—that are similar to the effects of caloric restriction (CR). There is currently no consensus as to the degree to which this is simply due to an (often) concomitant overall decrease in calories. (IF and CR are forms of Dietary Restriction (DR), which is sometimes referred to as Dietary Energy Restriction (DER).)

A number of studies have shown beneficial effects of IF in animals, including:

* a study finding "reduced serum glucose and insulin levels and increased resistance of neurons in the brain to excitotoxic stress"[2]

* a review of previous research that found that IF "enhance[s] cardiovascular and brain functions and improve[s] several risk factors for coronary artery disease and stroke including a reduction in blood pressure and increased insulin sensitivity" and that "cardiovascular stress adaptation is improved and heart rate variability is increased in rodents" and that "rodents maintained on an IF regimen exhibit increased resistance of heart and brain cells to ischemic injury in experimental models of myocardial infarction and stroke."[3]

* a review of research on ADF and CR found that ADF "may effectively modulate several risk factors, thereby preventing chronic disease, and that ADF may modulate disease risk to an extent similar to that of CR"[4]

* a study suggesting that IF may "ameliorate age-related deficits in cognitive function" in mice[5]

* a study suggesting that IF significantly improves biochemical parameters associated with development of diabetic nephropathy[6]

* a study showing that serum from humans following an IF diet had positive effects (reduced triglycerides in men and increased HDL in women, as well as reduced cell proliferation and increased heat resistance) in vitro on human hepatoma cells[7]

* a study showing resistance in mice to the effects of gamma irradiation[8]

* a 2008 study showing lifespan increases of 40.4% and 56.6% in C. elegans for alternate day (24 hour) and two-of-each-three day (48 hour) fasting, respectively, as compared to an ad libitum diet.[9]

I have never tried this before so im hoping that after a couple of months into it, i can see results.

I am not losing weight with my regular daily workout routine and calorie counting.
joyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #6  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Ah, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinSF View Post
"Intermittent fasting (IF) is a pattern of eating that alternates between periods of fasting (usually meaning consumption of water only) and non-fasting. A specific form of IF is alternate day fasting (ADF), which is a 48-hour routine typically composed of a 24-hour fast followed by a 24-hour non-fasting period. (ADF is also sometimes referred to as every other day (EOD) fasting, or sometimes every other day feeding (EODF).)
Also, eefffffff no for me. I could never ever do this. If I don't eat every 4 hours I get grumpy and a bad headache, but that's me.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote