Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Arch Pain keeping me from exercising :?:

I have had terrible arch pain in my feet since grade school. Recently, over the past couple of years, it has gotten really bad. I worked through the pain while working out with a personal trainer. But by the end of last summer I couldn't take it anymore.
Walking long distances, using the elliptical, treadmill, lunges etc.... are all hard to do. This foot pain ruined my first trip to Europe and since then I can barely walk for more than a half hour before the arch pain starts.

I have flat feet, and fallen arches. The podiatrists have done x-rays and MRI of my feet, but according these tests "nothing is wrong". My feet often tingle, and my heels hurt now too (this is recent). Orthotics, NSAIDs, and stretching have little if no effect. Orthotics often aggravate the pain.
I even started putting lidocaine patches on the soles of my feet to try and mitigate the pain. This worked just a little bit. Ben gay and other "pain relief" creams help a little but then also irritate my skin.
I just bought some Merrell slip ons and usually wear Ecco, Naot, Aravon, New Balance etc... type of shoes. My heels and wedges have been collecting dust for years. I am completely over trying to have fashionable shoes.

I am going in for a nerve conduction test but I don't have much faith in podiatry anymore.

I need help. I had lost nearly 40 pounds but have now gained it all back plus 10-15 extra pounds b/c exercising is so difficult. I'm a terrible swimmer, but am going to make more of an effort. But the kind of exercise I enjoy such as walking outside and dancing have become impossible for me. I could once salsa and swing for two hours before hte pain became overwhelming, now the pounding on my feet starts the pain almost immediately. In addition my ankles are HUGE. Its not just my weight as when I lost weight my ankles didn't decrease at all. Oftentimes my entire foot becomes so swollen that even shoes that had been loose in the morning are tight and straining by afternoon.

I am hoping that someone out there had the same problems and found a solution and can help direct me towards some real help. I am at my wit's end with my feet. I feel, in some ways, like I have a disability and might end up in a wheelchair or a scooter b/c I cannot walk. Until this problem is solved I cannot plan another vacation or even go on a long walk in the park near my apartment.

If you have any advice I'd love to hear it.
Sisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

I am no expert by all means, but I do have a few suggestions. How many foot Drs. have you seen, can you take the test results to another Dr. we tend to believe what Dr.s tell us because they have been educated to do so but they too make mistakes. Did they Xray your ankles as well, my issue with my foot stems from my ankles I had surgery 19 years ago and because of me old weight I have caused some damage, the orthodics work for me, however your tendons and ligaments in your ankles could be effecting your feet was that even looked into? Just a thought. If you are not getting answers from one there is nothing wrong in going to see someone else for a second opinion. Since you can't walk for long periods of time have you considered a bicycle.
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I've suffered through bouts of plantar fasciitis, which may or may not be similar to what you're dealing with. I had been training myself for running a 5K when I developed this problem & was concerned about staying active. At the time, I didn't have access to a pool, so I ended up using a stationary bike & I also took up rowing on a machine. You do use your feet in both exercises, but your weight is primarily on your butt, not your feet, so you may be able to do them without pain. Ask your podiatrist about whether those exercises would be appropriate for you.

Also, even if you aren't a good swimmer, do you have access to a water aerobics class? I haven't participated in one but there is one that meets just before my swimming class & I have watched them while stretching & warming up on the sidelines in the pool. They look like fun & good exercise, too. The only thing that's kept me from signing up is that my plate is rather full with exercise classes right now.

Last edited by saef; 04-19-2009 at 08:11 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #4  

I have been dealing with what I think is Plantar Fasciitis in both feet for more than a year now. It sucks. At first I didn't exercise because of exactly what you describe. I had to rely on diet only and I still managed to lose 14 lbs. in 12 weeks. I am slowly adding exercise and as my weight goes down, so does my pain. I still have it but after dropping 28 lbs., the pain is low enough that I can still do things like the elliptical machine but straight up walking for long distances is out- that's the most pain inducing type of exercise.

I wish I could tell you what was wrong with your feet. I don't know what it could be. However, don't let this derail you. This is your challenge moment. Can you do what you need to do even when all the stars for perfect loss don't align? 80% of losing weight is eating right. You can still do that 80%.

I let my foot problems keep me from doing what I should for a long time because they gave me a great excuse. Then I began to realize that all those medical problems that were out there somewhere in the future if I didn't lose weight had started to come calling. I realized I was out of time to mess around with weight loss and I needed to just do the work- before my body deteriorated to the point I couldn't. I'm glad I've gone through this because it's been a HUGE motivator to lose the weight. I can't afford to lose my mobility permanently. I value that more than I enjoy eating so the foot pain has been my wake up call.

Ultimately, being less-able to exercise FORCED me to deal with the food issue. When we exercise we often allow ourselves more leeway with food. I couldn't do that anymore so I had to just deal with the eating part. It was hard but VERY good for me. Perhaps this injury is really an opportunity for YOU to do the same- really learn to focus on the eating right part? You've told yourself that you can't lose weight because you can't exercise but you do realize it's just an excuse to continue in the direction you're presently going, right? Focus on what you CAN do and you'll still get results. Maybe not as fast or intense as you were getting before but it sure beats the alternative of continued gain.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #5  

The swollen ankles and feet, both sides and apparently it's new, would worry me--a lot. If it were me I'd be at a real doctor (MD), not a podiatrist, soon.

(Classically, PF presents as pain when you wake up. This doesn't sound like that.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the advice. I don't have plantar faciitis according to the xrays and MRIs. I recently went to a sports medicine guy who suggested I try barefoot (or in socks!) walking in the park or to get a pair of shoes that simulate barefoot walking. I had to order them as most stores here don't seem to carry them for women.

I wish that water aerobics and swim classes were available for us working gals! They all seem to be midday on weekdays! I am going to write a letter to my gym and request that they start offering a class first thing in the morning for us single girls who have to work for a living :-)

I'm hoping that a nerve test this week shows something or that they do find something out there.

Thanks!
Sisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Sisi, if this helps, I take swimming classes through my local community college, which offers them on Saturday & Sunday mornings. Half the class is just people like me who take an occasional Continuing Ed course & the other half are people enrolled full-time & completing their physical education requirement. I'd suggest checking out any local college that might run athletic or exercise programs -- they are more sensitive to the plight of us working folks.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #8  

Sounds like you have been through a lot. It's always difficult to diagnose a problem in a forum like this, but I do have a few thoughts and suggestions.

Having severe flat feet and carrying extra weight puts an incredible stress on the structures on the bottom of the foot. As the foot flattens, it lengthens, which stretches all the structures on the bottom of the foot.

Your symptoms would be consistent with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. Like carpal tunnel syndrome in the hand, tarsal tunnel is an entrapment of the large tarsal nerve on the inside of the ankle. Given that, the nerve conduction studies are a very good idea. If it does turn out to be tarsal tunnel, don't rush into surgery - there are a lot of potential complications. Orthotics can help about 70% of the time, but the orthotic has to be prescribed in a very specific manner in order to reduce tension on the tarsal nerve. Here is an article regarding orthotics for tarsal tunnel that you can give to your doctor - podiatrytoday.com/article/3337

Don't give up on orthotic therapy yet, but definitely get another opinion. Good luck.
Seattle Podiatrist is offline   Reply With Quote