Old 04-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #1  
On my way down!

S/C/G: 176/Ticker/126

Height: 5'nuffin - I just lost an inch!

Default Adjusting to eating less!

Hiya

I am currently trying to lose 42lbs and I am hoping to achieve this through calorie counting and regular exercise.
My question is how long does it generally take to adjust to eating less? I know it is different for everyone but a general idea would be nice.
I started about a week ago but still am getting very hungry a few hours after eating. How long will it take for my stomach to adjust to this?
I have my healthy snacks but am worried that if i don't adjust to my new lifestyle soon i will start reaching for the more unhealthy snacks!
Any suggestions on nice filling healthy snacks?!

Thanking you in advance!
jellybellyjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #2  
Takin it 1 day at a time

S/C/G: 200/165/130

Height: 5' 6"

How many calories are you eating? What types of foods are you eating, when you do eat?

The key to being successful (I think) is to not let yourself get hungry. If you are eating the correct foods and the correct amount of calories - and you are eating often enough - you should find that you do not get hungry.

If you are eating correctly, and you still find you get hungry too soon after a meal - it could just be psycological - your brain might just be in a memory cycle of when you used to allow yourself to indulge at every whim. Try distracting your brain - go do something physical - or even read a book - anything to take your mind off the food thoughts. I have read that the cravings should go away after about 2 minutes. Unless, of course - it is because you are really hungry and need to eat.

We first need to establish how many calories you are eating at a meal - and what you are eating.
debbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Hey Jelly...forgive me if I'm repeating some things you already know here...
And I'm not in perfect compliance and I sabotage myself all the time...

Depending on what you ate, it's normal to feel hungry withing three to four hours after having eaten. That's why it's good to eat a balanced meal and not a single nutrient meal (like only carbs or only protein). We digest different nutrients at different rates, and carbs go through the quickest. But if you eat a combination, like 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fats, then your blood sugar levels will stay more even as you digest your meal.

Something to keep in mind, our body seems to only be able to process at the most 600 calories per meal. Any more than that goes to the storage system (fat). Most people feel satiety at around 400 - 450 calories.

I recently heard that it takes six weeks for our stomach's to readjust after a giant, Thanksgiving-sized meal. By adjusting, that means reducing the levels of stomach acids produced to digest food. The stomach doesn't need to shrink. It stretches and snaps back to accommodate what is eaten at any given time. When we cut back our calories, we're still producing an excess of acids and sometimes that can be interpreted as hunger.

Well placed snacks in between larger meals is a good idea. Higher fiber foods are always good choices, and combining them with protein is a great way to manage hunger.

Apples with nut butters (try to find a raw nut butter without added sugar and fats)
Low-fat cheeses on whole grain crackers and/or with fruit
Veggies with hummus dip

Make sure to measure out your portions of the nut butter, cheeses and hummus.

My favorite snack is tinned sardines with a squeeze of lemon on whole wheat crackers and a small bowl of cherry tomatoes. I get ravenous and edgy in the afternoons, so this really does the trick for me.

I also like a handful of raw almonds after dinner.

Make sure to drink plenty of water. Helps to tame the stomach acids.

I've found that I just have to white-knuckle it through the first couple of weeks, time my meals as well as possible, and have lots of activities lined up that distract me. And if I slip up, I require myself to do the equal portion of cardio exercise to burn up the excess calories by the end of the day. But that's just what I do to manage my occasional excesses. Some extremely overindulgent days, I'm on my Fitball or the treadmill for a couple of hours.

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Make your calories COUNT.

-Protein and Fiber. Protein and Fiber. Protein and Fiber.
-Think lots of volume - salads and veggies.
-Eat often - every 2 hours or so.
-Drink lots of water to keep your tummy full.
-Avoid "empty" calories and those that bring on cravings. For me that would be sugar and simple carbs (the processed "white" ones for the most part, not those found in veggies and fruit).
-Keep yourself busy.
-Work on distinguishing real hunger from "emotional" hunger.

I don't do well when hungry. That would set me up for overeating and binging. That's why my calories really MATTER. I've got to get the most from each and every precious one of em'.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 04-18-2009 at 01:33 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #5  
On my way down!

Hey

Thank you all for your replies...all good information for me I do tend to feel more hungry when i'm not doing much...

A kind of average day food wise for me would be:

Toast (whole grain, one slice) with jam
Oj
(Multi Vitamin)

3 x rice cakes with vegetarian pate
Maltloaf (2 slices)
Orange

Quorn fillet with leek and cheese topping
Boiled new potatoes
Salad w/ pesto

Orange
Maltloaf (1 1/2 slices)

Lots of cups of tea during the day and I don't keep track of my amount of water ( i will start!) but i do drink a fair amount each day (i didnt drink much before as i would always drink coca-cola - full fat!!-)

Again, thank you for all the advice! It definitely makes sense

Jess xx

Last edited by jellybellyjess; 04-18-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #6  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

I am 5 months in~And I am totally use to the change~I Would say about 2 months and you will get use to it.
(I have always heard if you can make it through the first 6 to 8 weeks ~You will Suceed~Not to worry I had some goofups my first 2 months~And still am losing And Lost well then~So Just hang in there it will get better)

Not sure your amount of calories but I read on a site not to go below 1400 a day~But I have seen people eat more and a little less(not less by much~like
1800~ 1200) And still lose great.

GOODLUCK

Last edited by Lori259; 04-18-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #7  
On my way down!

Thank you lori259 :-)
I will hang in there!
x
Old 04-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

I could see where you just might be hungry.

I'm thinking perhaps that you are a vegetarian? Is that why there is no eggs, poultry, fish or dairy products?

We do have a forum here at 3FC specifically for Vegetarians, if that's the case. The ladies (and gents?) there could probably tweak your menu a bit to help you find some more protein. Soy products, nuts, grains & beans come to mind.

It looks to me like you are definitely lacking in the veggie department as well. Cauliflower, spinach, squash, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, peppers, turnips, string beans, tomatoes are just a few of the tons of veggies out there. Experiment with different cooking methods and spices to really jazz them up.

Okay, I do see cheese on your menu. So how about some no fat yogurt?

Anyway, I would definitely try and expand that menu of yours. You can check out the various forums here for ideas or search the net.

It takes time to get our menus "down pat" when first starting out. It takes time to figure out what works - and what doesn't. Give yourself a chance to explore and let your food choices evolve.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #9  
On my way down!

Thank you rockinrobin..
I'm definitely a work in progress lol I will work on getting more veggies in there and yes i am a vegetarian, only recently though so will definitely check out those forums!!
I think it is probably my lunches i need to work on as the afternoon is when i most often feel hungry.
thank you for your advice
Jess xx
Old 04-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #10  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

There are super easy tofu-scrambles you can make to go with that toast in the AM that will tide you over well (if you don't eat eggs).
I *HIGHLY* recommend eating every 2-4 hours. I have been doing this for only 2 short weeks but i have only had ONE day that i wanted to eat a LOT more (stress). That is amazing to me. So many diets leave you hungry. You have to find something that works for you to LIVE WITH because we aren't looking for quick fixes, we want long-term weight loss that we can keep off.
Good luck!
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #11  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Jess, I'm seeing your diet as a little heavier on the carbohydrates. Since you're fairly new to the vegetarian way of eating, I strongly encourage you to find some good online material and books to read up on getting a balanced diet. If you don't do it right, vegetarians can become malnourished.

One thing that might help is the combination of grains and legumes during a meal. It's a way of creating a whole protein. Lentils, black-eyed peas, black beans, edamame, soy and garbanzo beans are all great sources of fiber, very low in fat, and good sources of protein. And economical when you buy them dry and cook them yourself. Combine with brown rice, quinoa, whole grain crackers, breads and tortillas.

By the way, one thing that helped me years ago was to come to the understanding that approaching hunger indicators was not a bad thing. It meant that I got to eat! Don't live in fear of getting hungry. Your body is just talking to you, asking you to do something about it. What you do about it is your decision.

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #12  
Cause I'm worth it!!!!

S/C/G: 202/See Ticker/130

Height: 5"6

I just started yesterday and I've been the same way. But I know that in a week or two my tummy will adjust and I will be feeling full more often than hungry. I also wait an hour after a meal and try to drink water when I think I am hungry after I have just recently ate a meal.
vouge09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #13  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Vegetarian for 26 years weighing in on the topic.
Protein can be hard to incorporate, particularly in the beginning.

Soy products are good, quick reliable sources. Morningstar Farms, Boca, Gardenburger.

Beans - you can get them canned, if you don't have time to cook them from scratch.

There are really good "bread" products that are very high in protein - Flatout, Joseph's Heart Healthy Pitas and Lavash bread, Thomas Light Multi-Grain English Muffins - all have added protein.

If you are getting hungry between meals, I like Laughing Cow wedges, or hummus with raw veggies. Carrots, snap peas, colored peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, grape tomatoes, etc.

South Beach Living Protein Cereal Bars are nice quick grab-n-go protein snacks.

Emerald cocoa-roast almonds are also an excellent "tide-me-over" snack.

Hardboiled eggs, non-fat yogurt, cottage cheese, low-fat string-cheese, etc.

I take my lunch to work every day, and here are a couple samples:

Progresso soup with 1/2 Joseph's Pita sandwich filled with, spinach, broccoli slaw, walnuts, craisins, feta cheese and raspberry vinagarette. Half a banana or clementine or some cantaloup usually for "dessert" (300 cals total)

Lentil loaf (leftover from dinner the night before) wrapped in 1/2 Flatout bread, with spinach, tomato, and mushroom slices. Raw snap peas, and an apple or other fruit. (350-400 cals - depending on the fruit).

The title of your post caught my eye because the most amazing thing about this journey is that I don't eat less, I actually eat a lot more.
I eat more food (volume)
And
I eat more often (6 times a day).

I just eat DIFFERENTLY. Add as many vegetables as you can - the volume and fiber are wonderful and will help you feel that you are not "deprived".

Last edited by CountingDown; 04-18-2009 at 06:34 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #14  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

My husband and I got use to eating less in under 2 weeks. Now we are appalled at portions in restaurants and are fine with the reasonable portions we can eat within plan. We don't eat 'diet food' either, we eat lower fat healthy versions of the same stuff we always liked. The idea is to just be sane about everything. After a while you are like 'I could have a bag of pretzels and still be hungry or I can have an apple and feel satisfied... think I'll have the apple'. It just becomes second nature to make better choices after a while.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinny View Post
After a while you are like 'I could have a bag of pretzels and still be hungry or I can have an apple and feel satisfied... think I'll have the apple'. It just becomes second nature to make better choices after a while.
That's it. Put simply and perfectly.