Old 04-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/176.2/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Spare Tire

I have a basic hourglass shape. I always have, no matter my weight. However, I have a pretty prominent spare tire ABOVE my waist. It's like having a muffin top, even when I'm naked. It's getting smaller along with the rest of me, but it's not shrinking as fast as the rest. I may lose an inch there while I lose 2 inches at my waist and 3 at my hips. I know you can't spot reduce, but does anyone have any tips on how to tone and tighten this area? It's driving me nuts!
anmitche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Do you exercise? That will go a long way. Lots of cardio and strength training, also core work with a focus on ab strength, particularly on your obliques (sides) will help for sure.
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Just a good general strength workout with core exercises. Everybody has an area like that (mine are my thighs!), and the hardest thing is the patience it takes to wait for that body part to catch up to the others.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #4  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

The more fat you lose the more that will diminish also (even if it is slowly). I have the same spare. It's so weird.
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #5  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

My "saddlebags" are my problem zone...usually the thing you can't stand the most seems like it'll never go away

Like the others said...exercise esp focusing on your core will help tone up that area and as the fat goes it'll go too!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
My "saddlebags" are my problem zone...usually the thing you can't stand the most seems like it'll never go away
!
I think the things that we can't stand the most - is because it's where we're storing/holding the most fat. And THAT'S why it takes the longest for it to go away - because there's MORE of it.

Hang tight. Continue on your plan. Exercise. You will see your "trouble" area diminish as you get closer and closer to goal. You will be astounded at what those last 5 - 10 lbs will do for your trouble area and overall. Astounded.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #7  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I have this problem too; my stomach is not really my big problem area, but right above where my waistband hits there's a little puff of fat that just sort of sticks out. It's so weird-looking and noticeable in cute shirts, and I swear as I continue to lose weight *around* it, it's actually getting more prominent! Thanks, body. Good joke.

The bad news is that will probably be one of the last spots we lose. The good news is we *will* lose it if we keep at it. Of course do exercises to strengthen your core -- sit-ups, pilates, even yoga -- but no, you can't spot-reduce it. I wish.

Last edited by thistoo; 04-18-2009 at 11:41 AM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #8  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I think the things that we can't stand the most - is because it's where we're storing/holding the most fat. And THAT'S why it takes the longest for it to go away - because there's MORE of it.

Hang tight. Continue on your plan. Exercise. You will see your "trouble" area diminish as you get closer and closer to goal. You will be astounded at what those last 5 - 10 lbs will do for your trouble area and overall. Astounded.
Yes it will go...I know mine is getting smaller since I'm in a size 12 now

I can't help but think when I look at my monthly body pics that I still look a little distorted...it's like my thighs are saying Bwahahahahaha you'll never take me alive! lol I have a feeling that what ever I have left to lose is all thighs so they had better watch out
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/176.2/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
I have this problem too; my stomach is not really my big problem area, but right above where my waistband hits there's a little puff of fat that just sort of sticks out. It's so weird-looking and noticeable in cute shirts, and I swear as I continue to lose weight *around* it, it's actually getting more prominent! Thanks, body. Good joke.
My puff of fat is not little, but that's exactly it. There is around a ten inch difference between my waist and my "muffin top." It drives me nuts! I have all of these cute clothes that I want to wear, but if I wear them I either have to wear a girdle or a jacket to hide it.

I wish I could wear my XL and L shirts without feeling like I have to suck in all the time!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've started working out again this week- walking. I have a Wii Fit, so maybe I'll start doing the yoga and strength on there, and add in some pilates.
anmitche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #10  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

I've also noticed my spare tire looking bigger as everything else gets smaller. It can be quite disheartening at times, depending on what I want to wear. I find spanx really help that area if there is something close fitting I want to wear. I just keep thinking that it will *eventually* have to dissapear.....right????
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #11  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I lost 50 lbs and lost about an inch in my waist. I was starting to wonder if I was going to have stick arms and legs (ha) before I lost another inch there. But it has started moving now. Thank goodness.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote