Old 04-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/178/145

Height: 5'8"

Default How to compensate for day off?

Hi everyone!

This is my first post, although I've been lurking for a couple of weeks. This seems like such a great, supportive community! I've been on program (counting calories) for two weeks now. I've gained A LOT of weight the past year and a half (nearly 40 pounds - yikes!).

I lost 10 pounds over the past two weeks and was determined to stay on track yesterday. Unfortunately, I blew it. I overindulged to the point of feeling sick. I'm sure I must have eaten 3000+ calories (I didn't count).

I am back on track today, and I know not to beat myself up, move on, etc. But I'm worried about my calories deficit for the week. Do I go back to eating my regular 1400-1500 calories or do I drop it lower in an effort to compensate for yesterday's binge? I'm afraid I won't lose this week.

Thanks in advance.
grammargirl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

Hmm I would say just start again with the regular calories. If you cut too low not only will you be hugrier and more likely to fall off track again but you might not be getting the nutrients and everything you need. If it helps I give myself 1 day a month to eat however many calories I want but I still track it. Last time I went a little overboard myself and ended up at like 3600 calories (darn you nachos!) but the next day I just go right back on track. Plus by having a planned break I can get through cravings by saying "next break day"

Good luck!
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'd say that you should go back to your planned amount. You can't really compensate for overeating in a major way by undereating--and what's more, it starts a bad cycle of thinking and expectations. Similarly, you can't compensate by getting on the treadmill for 7 hours! Same deal.

Just accept that those 3,000 calories may slow down your weight loss for the week and move on.

Weight loss is not a race or a contest, in spite of all the Biggest Loser hype.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Once you're in a regular routine, I don't think it's a problem to compensate *a little* for some days, but I don't think big compensations are ever a good idea. They cause rebound problems and are often not healthy - lack of nutrition and risk of injury. And if you've only been at it a couple weeks, I'd say just get back on track and you'll be fine.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

I would also just move on and just get back on plan. You will have overage days from time to time. Not a big deal as long as it doesn't become a habit.

If you do feel like you need to do something, how about going for a walk for 1/2 hour (beyond what you normally do for exercise). Usually helps me clear my head and get re-focused.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #6  

Thank you all! I think having a planned "day off" is a good idea. I should have known I couldn't stay on track on Easter. I also realize that one day isn't the end of the world; it's when one day turn into three and then a week and so on. I'm back on track today.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #7  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

thats exactly the attitude to have! If I didn't allow my self to have an off plan day every now and then I would over indulge all the time! and actually some of my best losses have come after a day or a meal of being off plan... it shakes up your body a little bit like it gives it a shock... don't be surprised if you LOOSE more this week! trust me it can happen! you are right in saying it's bad when one day turns in to to and then a week and then a month and then you realize your completely off plan!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #8  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

If I know a day is coming in which I may exceed my daily calorie allotment, i'll shave of 50-100 calories a day to help compensate. Sometimes I may do an extra workout/hike/walk/etc and sometimes I just roll with the punches.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:03 AM   #9  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

You could workout a little more over the next 2 days, but not go insane. That's what I usually do.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:09 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

You know, using holidays as an off-day isn't a bad idea. I don't like the "one day off a week" idea because I don't think of myself as being on a diet but rather trying to form solid habits for life, and that would be a way of tempting me out of my habits. Once a week is far too much. Once a month however... definitely doable to have a complete splurge day once a month.
I agree that compensation would be a bad idea... could set you into a spiral of nothing but low calories and then you'll go into starvation mode, which is not good.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #11  

I cannot do one day off a week. I've tried that, and the one day almost always turns into a weekend.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Yeah, with us we have to consider why we're overweight in the first place. At the root of most problems, giving ourselves a weekly off-day won't help as it like unbreaks our good habits and prevents us from moving ahead, I think. Once a month wouldn't be enough to make anything a habit, but it'd still be a nice day. Personally I just prefer the philosophy of LITTLE treats spaced out when I want them that fit into my daily caloric intake. I still get treated but am not splurging, reinforcing the idea that I CAN have treats, I just can't have too MUCH of them. I don't want to connect the idea of "good food" with "large amount" in my mind, I want to BREAK that connection. So I'd rather spread my treats out and have a little at a time than have a splurge day and do it all at once.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote