Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #1  
Triathlon chica

S/C/G: 270/182.5/??

Height: 5'6"

Default So ... how do you take in a pair of pants yourself?

I have a bunch of 14s that are huge in the waist, but I don't seem to fit into 12s yet. How hard is it to take in the waist yourself? They are a good 3-4 inches too big in the waist, so even wearing a belt is a little weird.
Athenawithheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Do you have a sewing machine, what kind of pants (jeans or work slacks, knit or woven), what kind of waistband (set in or elastic) and have you done much sewing.

Taking in pants can be tricky. It may pay to call and ask for estimates from tailors/dressmakers in your area (or ask on Craig's list). Prices can vary tremendously, not only from town to town, but within any town, but I've paid as little as $2 a pair to have pants altered.

I do some sewing, but whether making from scratch or altering, I usually stick to blouses and skirts, which I find easier to make or to take in. I've taken in pants, but it seems I have a 50/50 chance of destroying them in the process.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #3  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

Gak! When it comes to sewing, I am a heck of a plumber!

But I wanted to say how cool it is that you are seeing those kind of results! Losing weight around my waist --- well, if I actually had a waist --- is something I am really looking forward to. Sorry I can't help, but HIGH FIVES for the obvious progress you are making!

Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #4  
Triathlon chica

S/C/G: 270/182.5/??

$2? Is that all? I was expecting $15/pair!

They are pants for work, so they are dressy, all without an elastic waist. And, no sewing machine, but my mother and grandmother have one.

I have HUGE thighs, so pants that fit my thighs are almost always way too big in the waist.
Athenawithheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenawithheart View Post
$2? Is that all? I was expecting $15/pair!

They are pants for work, so they are dressy, all without an elastic waist. And, no sewing machine, but my mother and grandmother have one.

I have HUGE thighs, so pants that fit my thighs are almost always way too big in the waist.
It really depends where you're living, and who you ask. Sometimes in the same town, one person will charge a couple bucks, and someone will charge five or six times that, or require a "minimum" amount of work. For example, they might charge $6 for the first pair, and $1.50 for each additional pair, or chart $3 a pair, but require you to bring in at least 4 pair, sort of a guarantee to be worth their time to take the order.

I've found that dry cleaners often also do some alterations at a decent price or will give referrals. Sewing shops will often keep a list of people who do alterations also (and will have some idea of the person's skill and charges). People who do bridal work tend to be more expensive (but not always, so it's worth asking).

Also, it's a bit of a stereotype (ok, it's a raging stereotype), so I really hesitate to mention it, but Viatnamese and Thai tailors (at least in the Midwest) have an insanely-excellent reputation for excellent work at a great price. The guy that charged me the least and did the best work was Viatnamese, so maybe it's true.

I have a similar situation with pants, because my hips are so much larger than my waist (almost 20 inches difference). You could play basketball in the gap at the back of fitted pants, so everything I buy has to be drawstring or elastic waist or it will need drastic alteration.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-09-2009 at 12:55 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #6  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

It's a couple of bucks to get stuff taken in...I would just pay for the service..
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #7  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Ask your drycleaner ~ they should be able to recommend someone. Or if you have a nice women's dress boutique in town they should be able to recommend someone as well.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #8  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I AM a seamstress and I don't take in pants I wear belts until I can't anymore and then to goodwill they go. BUT if I need NEED them altered I usually get it done at my drycleaners.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #9  
One pound at a time...

I have had them taken in by a seamstress as well. It was for a really good pair of work pants (lined) that I did not want to give away right away. They made a cut on the back seam and took the pants from there (resulted in a pleat at the back of the pant). It looked fine and I was able to get a few more months out of the pants. I think it cost me around $15 to get it done.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote