Old 04-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #1  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

Default What can I use to "Bread" Chicken?

I'm having family over for Easter and I'm making breaded chicken cutlets. Is there anything I can use that is Induction friendly to bread my chicken with? I've heard pork rinds are good, but Im not sure if I can find them at my local grocer...is there something else I can use?
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/175/135

Height: 5'6

Simona,

If you have a Trader Joes in your area, they have a great product for breading. It's Almond Meal. All it is, is ground almonds. Great for breading!
sassypants01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 284/207/165

Height: 5 ft 3

Simona, I'm not crazy about pork rinds, so I've never used them to bread things, but a lot of people use them. I've always used parmesan cheese (the Kraft dried stuff) with great success, or almond flour, or a mixture of the two. You can also use soy flour, but it has kind of a wonky taste to some people.
pengbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

The soy flour nor the almond flour are Atkins Induction friendly.
I use grated parmesan cheese that I spice up with some garlic powder, italian seasoning & parsley. I dip the chicken in beaten egg mixed with a little heavy cream, then coat with the spiced up parmesan cheese and fry in butter
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #5  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

Thanks for the suggestions. I would never have thought of parmesan cheese - and I'm Italian! Go figure! I think I'll use that.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'-8"

I do not do atkins but for breading take some reduce fat wheat thins or triscuits and grind them in a mixer. Dip the chicken in an egg beater and then dip in the breading and bake. Spice up with what ever seasonings you prefer. Also the fiber one ceral makes a good breading for chicken or fish. With the fiber one make a low-fat honey mustard dresing or ranch for dipping. No one will even know it is low-fat!! My kids still have not caught on...
sweetandspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyofsix View Post
I do not do atkins but for breading take some reduce fat wheat thins or triscuits and grind them in a mixer. Dip the chicken in an egg beater and then dip in the breading and bake. Spice up with what ever seasonings you prefer. Also the fiber one ceral makes a good breading for chicken or fish. With the fiber one make a low-fat honey mustard dresing or ranch for dipping. No one will even know it is low-fat!! My kids still have not caught on...
Wheat Thins, Triscuits or Fiber One cereal are not permitted on Atkins....but....full fat dressings are!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-09-2009 at 12:12 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #8  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Mommyofsix, Atkins is a carb-reduction eating plan, not a fat-reduction eating plan, so your recipe would be fine for a low-fat plan but we couldn't do it on Atkins. Thanks for contributing though.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #9  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

I used the parmesan cheese for my chicken and it was SO good! I couldnt believe it....better than the breaded ones, I think Thanks again for the suggestions
Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 226/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
The soy flour nor the almond flour are Atkins Induction friendly.
I use grated parmesan cheese that I spice up with some garlic powder, italian seasoning & parsley. I dip the chicken in beaten egg mixed with a little heavy cream, then coat with the spiced up parmesan cheese and fry in butter
Thanks! I am allegic to nuts anyway so this would be good for me!
Crazy4Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

When I was on Atkins I always used crushed barbecue pork rinds for chicken, it was pretty good.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #12  

I use the Parmesan/Romano mix of grated cheese to coat meat/fish when it calls for breading. One of my faves is pork tenderloin coated in the cheese and pan fried to brown and then put in the oven to cook. It is *wonderful* and really tender. YUM!
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #13  
Carbs are evil

omg the parmesan "breaded" chicken sounds AMAZING!! I know this thread is old but I wanted to ask about pork rinds - i've read that many people use them as a snack but I've never heard anyone say exactly what they are or where they get them.. is it an american thing? (im in ireland)

Also, I'm really just curious... I won't be having that sort of snack until im way closer to my goal
imstuffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/204/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstuffed View Post
omg the parmesan "breaded" chicken sounds AMAZING!! I know this thread is old but I wanted to ask about pork rinds - i've read that many people use them as a snack but I've never heard anyone say exactly what they are or where they get them.. is it an american thing? (im in ireland)

Also, I'm really just curious... I won't be having that sort of snack until im way closer to my goal
Here in the US we can get them at the grocery store - it is pig skin. Sounds gross I know. They are very dry and hard for me to eat by themselves. However - I did try one ecipe I like. Melt butter and drizzle of pork rinds then sprinkle with cinnamon. I actually liked it!
fatBgone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:23 AM   #15  
Carbs are evil

kinda sounds like one of those things that sound gross but in reality are a guilty pleasure... pity we dont have them here!
imstuffed is offline   Reply With Quote