Old 04-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

Default Think I need to up my calories?

How do you know if you need to up your calories due to excercise? I'm been going on 1500 calories for 2 months now (minus my 2 day of no diet I get a month) and I had been losing weight steadily but for some reason this week I've gained a half pound! I don't seem to be retaining water or anything. I've decreased my weightlifting somewhat but a few days ago I did a 5mile bike ride and I've got another scheduled for tomorrow if the weather holds up. I guess my question is do y'all should I stay with my current 1500 calories and see what happens, decrease my calories since I've lost some weight (I'm hovering around 20lbs lost in 2 months) or increase my calories since I'm working out less frequently but doing more per workout.
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #2  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

1500 seems low to me, but if you're feeling energetic and are happy on that, I wouldn't change it up over half a pound. If you find you are hitting a wall in your workouts, tired all the time, hungry all the time, or your weight sticks for several weeks in a row, then my reaction would be to up the cals. From what you're saying right now, though, you have been doing fine on 1500, so I wouldn't think you need to change anything right now.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I would encourage you to stay to plan. You are having success in general--don't worry too much about having a stag now and again. Also, are you charting your weight each day? If so, you might start noticing patterns in your weight drops and gains. It helps in times like these. By the way, I eat 1500 and still lose. Congrats on your loss--super duper job. Just keep swimming! (Quote from Nemo!)

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 04-08-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #4  
Weight Watchers!

S/C/G: 221/ticker/175

Height: 5'

I agree that 1500 seems low but everyone is different. For me my weight loss is strange. For one week I will lose like 4 lbs then the next (around TOM) I will gain it all back and after TOM lose 6lbs or so. Then nothing the next week. It is so annoying. The advice my hubby gave me (we have 4 daughters so he has a way with talking what we call female talk) is that you need to look back over the last month not the last week. Stay on the same track for a full month and see what your body has done. This has worked for me very well and it keeps me looking at the big picture, which is to lose weight and be healthy.
eviemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #5  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, I think 1500 sounds a little two low. Maybe calorie-cycle? 1400-1800 or 1300-1700; more calories on workout days verse less calories on non-workout days.

But if you feel fine and are happy with what you're doing, don't let a small gain bother you. Our bodies are weird and work in odd ways!

Last edited by WormwoodDoll; 04-08-2009 at 04:01 PM.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote