PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 06:51 PM   #1  

Thumbs up Glucophage side affects

Hello,

I was just recently diagnosed with PCOS and have just begun taking glucophage yesterday evening. I have had awful symptoms with my first 2 doses. Last night I had awful diarrea. Right now I am sick to my stomach with a migrane. I feel like there is no way I can continue this. Has anyone else had symptoms like this? Did you stop taking the med or go on something else? I am feeling very frustrated and depressed.
Thanks,
Jo
Old 06-04-2002, 08:04 PM   #2  

I had the same type of things happen the first time that I took glucophage, I am now taking glucophage xr 500 mg a day. I finally got a period after over 10 years of not starting one on my own. Make sure you are taking the new type of glucophage that is a time release formula. The symptoms do go away after 1 to 2 weeks of taking it. I am now losing weight, and the facial hair has stopped growing so fast!! I am pshyced about taking this!!! Good luck!!

Tracy
Old 06-05-2002, 02:16 PM   #3  

Hang in there. I know it seems impossible right now, but it's not, and it's worth it. You will feel this way, on and off for a few weeks. Then it will stop.

Make sure you take it with food.
Make sure you drink lots of water.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:07 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Default Side effects

I took regular Glucophage last year and I had a terrible time with it. I went back to scratch and took only one pill a day for 3 weeks, then increased dosage every 3-4 weeks until I got where I needed to be. It was MUCH easier for me that way.

I will be starting Glucophage XR in a couple of weeks. My endo told me that 30 percent of people have diarrhea/nausea problems with Glucophage, but less than 1 percent report it on XR. Maybe you can ask your doctor about it if you continue to have trouble.

I agree with Jenniffer, you will get used to it and it will be worth it!
Old 06-19-2002, 12:22 PM   #5  

I recently began the Metformin again, it's been 7 days today. While I have battled the bathroom runs and the feeling sick to my stomach, I have figured something out:

The orange sticker on the prescription bottle that says Take With Food is really there for a reason. I must take it with a full meal, not a snack. I must take it as soon as I finish my last bite. I must drink alot of water. It curbed my appetite for some reason, making the thought of food seem impossible. It's improved a bit, but it's still hard to force down a meal. And take it on a schedule. I take two pills a day, one with breakfast and one with dinner. I waited an hour after eating dinner one night, I paid for it big time.

jo..How are you feeling now? I hope you stuck with it. It will get better.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:43 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Default After eating?

Gee, my gyn that prescribed it told me to eat immediately after taking, and if I was having a really hard time then to take it in the middle of the meal.

Last year when I was taking it, if I forgot to take it until after I ate, I would swallow it and eat more! I loved my gyn, but I am not sure how familiar he was with prescribing the meds. Strange how doctor's differ!

I lost my appetite too. I wish I had stayed that way longer! After the initial nausea went away, I detested meat. I couldn't stand to eat basically anything that walked. I was vegetarian for about
3-4 months, I think. Suddenly I could eat it again!
Old 06-20-2002, 11:09 AM   #7  

Hi Jennifer..isn't it strange how every doctor follows different procuderes? It's like they have the "permission" to do it "their way"..lol like it's Burker King or something!
Old 07-29-2002, 12:26 AM   #8  
WW Moderator

I have a side effect question! Glucophage XR..anybody have headaches!? I have had small ones for 3 days, but today was a hard one, light sensitive. Not strong enough to be a migraine I think, but felt like it could be a baby one. I slept for 4 hours and have felt washed out and slightly throbbing since then. I haven't been on the pills long, maybe a week. I started them a couple of weeks ago but stopped while I worked out the chest pain dilemma...
Old 09-18-2002, 02:34 PM   #9  

Default metformin side effects

Hi everyone, its been quite a while since I have posted, but I am still around, lurking mostly....but in this case I thought I could offer a bit of advice to anyone suffering from the wonderful side effect of metformin (or glucophage) known as "the trots" lol.

Anyway, due to my ever wonderful and wise HMO I am reduced to taking metformin, my Dr. is in the process of attempting to get them to change thier minds, but no luck as of yet, so I am suffering along with many of u.

There was some very wise advice given in this thread about MAKING SURE U EAT something when taking ur dose, and most of the time that works for me...but there are times when for whatever reason (mostly a busy life) prevents me from eating enough or the right stuff, or really for no reason at all I still end up counting tiles on the bathroom floor waiting for everything to pass (no pun intended). So I consulted with my Dr. and he seemed to feel it would be ok if, when I am having a bad time of it, I take one or at the most 2 immodium ad's. It hasn't failed me yet, and seems to aleviate the symptoms until the next time I fail to do the proper thing and the glucophage god takes his wrath out on me. I am by no means advocating stocking up on immodium and popping the pills daily...but when it gets bad and u really need some relief they can come in handy. So for whatever its worth, hope this helps some of u out there.
Take care and chin up
Pam
Old 10-01-2002, 10:16 PM   #10  

Default I worked for BMS pharm

What you are discribing is not uncommon. The extended release (XR) seemed to really help with the side effects, expecially since you have less doses so it's easier to eat a full meal with each one. Hang in there! The research shows that it subsides.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:58 AM   #11  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

CitizenKahn: Have you tried it at night just before bed? This is what I do and have NO symptoms at all.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:11 PM   #12  

Red face Metformin...

I just got my prescription for this yesterday and I am to take 500mg 2x a day.

Thanks for having this thread here! I'm glad I could read this before I start. My doctor suggested that I try 500mg a day for a week, then start both doses.

Arrgh. Darn PCOS.

I'm really glad this forum is here.

CD
Old 10-02-2002, 09:20 PM   #13  

Wink

Hi Creative Dame
Glad this site is there for all of us!!
Good luck with ur gluc. The best way to approach dosing is to take it slow and gradual. Also remember to eat a bite when u take it!!!
take care and keep us posted
Pammy
Old 11-22-2002, 03:17 PM   #14  

Hi Everyone,

It has been a LOOONG time since I have been on the boards. Thank you all very much for your advice regarding the Glucophage.
After I got sick on the meds. I stopped taking it until just this past week when my gyn suggested I give it another try at a smaller amount. I am taking 500mg of metphormin, I still have difficulty with headaches and bathroom visits but not as awful as last time. I am wondering if I should try to see if my insurance will cover the Glucophage XR instead, it sounds much better on my stomach!!!
Thanks so much again!!!
Jo
Old 11-22-2002, 10:28 PM   #15  
WW Moderator

Yes, please try the XR if you can! It made a huge difference for me. If you have a hard time on the regular, try taking each level of pills for a month or more until you try the next stage. That is what I had to do even on XR, but I am finally taking what he wants me to. Good luck!
Closed Thread