Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default celebs explain weight loss progress better than you?

I was watching Oprah's wednesday's episode with valerie bertinelli, marie osmond, & star jones. They all seemed to say things at time that just felt like they took the words out of my mouth on the emotional/physical aspects of the weight loss journey! *Star Jones's story especially resonated with me since she and I started out at the exact weight: 307 lbs.*

Anyone ever read a book or see an interview of a celeb losing weight that just speaks of your own experiences of losing weight (to some degree)?

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 04-02-2009 at 04:39 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #2  

I can't say that I've had that experience regarding a celebrity's weight loss, but I have read several books that were spooky in how they described a view or thought process of mine. The Thin Books is one, as is Passing for Thin.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #3  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

I think when it comes down to it everyone has the same (or at least very, very similar) feelings, struggles and outlooks on weight loss. The thing that always strikes me about celebrities talking about it though is that I don't really expect it. They look so fantastic I forget that they have the exact same struggles as me, just a different starting point with their bodies, that's all!

I recently read an article about Jenny McCarthy (who looks so friggin' fantastic!) and she was talking about how she used to weigh 200 lbs. and her feelings about that and her hard work to get the body she has today. It's something I didn't expect or realize, I've only ever known her as this very slim, fit, hot blonde so I never really considered how she got to be that way. I think with celebrities we often forget that they are regular people too and often struggle with their weight just like everyone else. Even if they only have to lose 10 lbs. instead of 100 it all boils down to a common experience.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #4  

Yep.Its work no matter how you get there.Even WLS patients have to not put the food in their mouth.I think some people think this is the easy way out but after working with a couple of girls that have had it, they still struggle with wanting to overeat and food choices.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I don't think they struggle as much as us real people do. They do have the personal chefs and trainers which probably help a ton. The chefs cook them up yummy meals and have their calories counted out (or whatever diet they are following) and can probably make some awesome low calorie treats for them.

The trainer is cheering them on to keep exercising, making a program tailored to them.

I dunno... I'm sure they have a craving for things, I remember Britney Spears giving up Starbucks Frappachinos to get back in the shape she is in now, but then she had a trainer, so I don't think it's as hard for them as us regular people.

Last edited by ringmaster; 04-02-2009 at 05:17 PM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I don't think they're an alien life form, completely separate genetically from the order of species that I belong to, but I do think they have one big advantage (aside from having more $$ than me).

That is, their appearance is 90% of their job.

I know some acting and singing ability is required, but face it, they are basically where they are because of being looked at & listened to.

Unlike me. My job is technical business writing at a laptop all day. Therefore, I spend at least eight hours a day in a chair on my job. When I get in an hour or a little more to exercise, or cook healthily, or shop wisely for perishable foods, I'm fitting it in at the margins of my job. My employer doesn't care if I look that good & if I exercise & eat right. (Well, maybe just a little, to help with health insurance premiums.) For my employer, it's my hobby & in their way of thinking, I had better not let it interfere with my work.

The stars make their living by looking good & they are allowed to put their health & appearance as their No. 1 priority because it's their living. If they work out two hours or more a day, it's justified because they have a tour coming up or a role they're about to take on or an important TV appearance. Basically, they live or die by their level of fitness. Or the appearance thereof. If Britney's abs get flabby & she's less sexy-looking, her income will be reduced swiftly. Madonna's career has likely been prolonged at least in part by her maintaining her appearance & mystique.

So that's their advantage. It's their job. When they need to focus, they can take a lot of time to focus. They have access to wealth and very specialized professional resources. But I think I really envy the **time** they can take, beyond anything else.

Last edited by saef; 04-02-2009 at 05:03 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think celebrities face just as many challenges as any of us, they're just different challenges. The money for one, I know if I won a mega-lottery I would have more opportunities to "buy" products and services to aid in weight loss, and I would also have more opportunities to have any craving indulged nearly instantly (craving Chinese food - fly to China).

I think in one sense, celebrity status could make weight loss that much more difficult. Especially the top tier celebs who become accustomed to having any whim instantly gratified - they have an entourage just to make sure they get what they want, when they want it. "Absolute power, corrupts absolutely," as they say.

I have a husband who is willing to go out in any weather to get me what I want, when I want it. Sometimes it's very hard not to abuse that power (and I often have, especially when I've been sick in bed and feeling sorry for myself). (Un)fortunately, he is a former chef, and will make me chicken soup from scratch any time I ask, or anything else I'd like. It is like having a personal chef, and yet it's just as tempting - heck more tempting to have him make unhealthy treats as healthy.

Sometimes I think it would be great to be a celebrity. Other times I think it would suck, but regardless, generally I don't give celebrity lives much thought at all. They're vaguely interesting, kind of like zoo animals or nature shows (actually, I find animals much more interesting).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I don't know about celebs, but plenty of fellow chickies take what I've been feeling but couldn't put into words, and do it for me!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I saw the show too. I liked all of it--even Star Jones. I thought Star Jones was honest in what she said about feeling "ashamed" (and that was the word she used) to admit she had no control of her eating and had resorted to surgery. I am sure each and every one of us can look back at our lives and wish we had done XYZ differently--Star showed me that she was no different yesterday. Did she ever say how much weight she has regained now. She still is looking good but definitely looks like she has gained compared to where she was.

I am not a Marie Osmond person and I almost busted out laughing when she said that she wasn't about being skinny and Oprah said, "But you are.....but you ARE!" I don't know I guess I just never "Feel" M.O. during interviews. Maybe it's because she's a little bit country and little bit Rock and Roll.

p.s. Valerie Bertinelli--what can I say--she is and always be such a doll in my book!

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 04-02-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post

The stars make their living by looking good & they are allowed to put their health & appearance as their No. 1 priority because it's their living. If they work out two hours or more a day, it's justified because they have a tour coming up or a role they're about to take on or an important TV appearance. Basically, they live or die by their level of fitness.
So true!!!

So far, I have never read anything a celebrity said that jived with my thoughts on weight loss.

~choirgirl~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #11  

Height: 5'11"

I watched that episode of Oprah yesterday and I have to say I came away feeling completely different about Star Jones. I guess all I saw was the brash, outspoken person before and didn't really stop to think about how she might feel, what's going on inside. I came away with a lot of compassion for her, and how difficult it must have been to face her issues of weight and feeling ashamed about it. I was really suprised to see that she is a completely different person than what my perception of her was.

I think Marie and Valarie are both just dolls and so darn cute. They looked cute at any weight, to me.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

I agree on Star Jones, windchime... I also thought she was a haughty stuck up woman in the media fallout following her departure from the tv show "The View" until I saw her on Oprah. Totally changed my opinion of her and I feel sad for the years she felt "lonely" and "ashamed" & I admire her very much of her weight-loss journey now
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #13  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
I don't think they struggle as much as us real people do. They do have the personal chefs and trainers which probably help a ton. The chefs cook them up yummy meals and have their calories counted out (or whatever diet they are following) and can probably make some awesome low calorie treats for them.

The trainer is cheering them on to keep exercising, making a program tailored to them.
Sure they might have an advantage but that doesn't mean they don't have to ever struggle, that doesn't mean they don't have to work their butts off to look good.....just like we do. Even with a personal chef how often do you think they eat out? My guess is probably quite a bit. Most of them likely follow some sort of diet so they're constantly having to make the right choice, just like us. And even with a personal trainer cheering them on that doesn't mean they automatically love exercise. I'm sure some of them hate it just as much as the average person and it's a struggle and a hassle. All I'm getting at is that their experiences are likely the same. Even when we look at them and think "oh they have the perfect body, I just WISH I could look like that!" they probably look in the mirror and see things about their body that they wish they could change or improve. Everyone is their own worst critic and I doubt celebrities are any different.

And can you imagine the pressure to work that hard to look that good? That's one thing I would NEVER want!!

Last edited by Fox; 04-03-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote