Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #1  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Default Help me build a high calorie breakfast that's LOW CARB..

Would you guys help me build a low carb breakfast with lots of calories? And not so fattening?

Im not getting in enough calories and I just CAN NOT do it with supper. So breakfast needs more calories but I just cant seem to get it......

I eat boiled eggs, steel cut oatmeal..................

Any other suggestions?
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #2  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

*** resisting urge to smack someone who can't eat enough calories *** hahahahah

my new favourite weekend morning treat (as I finally have time)

whole wheat english muffin
few slices lean black forest ham
slice of low fat cheese
1 'fried' egg (in non-stick skillet)

YUM!

maybe that and a protein shake?
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #3  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

Instead of the boiled egg why don't you make an omelete, low fat cheese and some turkey or ham?
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/242/199first

Height: 5'6"

mix a scoop of vanilla protein into your oatmeal and top with milk.
lonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

What do you mean by "Not so fattening"? Are you talking about it being low-fat? "Fattening" really is about having a lot of calories (if you take in more calories than you burn, you will gain weight, so anything high calorie, or even low calorie in large amounts, has the potential to be "fattening").

If you are looking for a low carb breakfast with a fairly high number of calories, you're going to be playing with protein and healthy fat. Protein has 4 calories per gram, and fat has 9 calories per gram, so you can see how adding healthy fats in will help you boost the calories. Nuts would be great, and so would bumping the protein.

What about preparing your oats with protein powder, then topping with chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds, whatever you enjoy)? Or you could mix in peanut butter to your oatmeal.

You could make yourself an omelette of whole eggs or a combination of whole eggs and egg whites, cooked in a tsp or two of olive oil, and stuffed with turkey breast, avocado, and a bit of cheese (full or reduced fat). That'd give you lots of protein, healthy fat, and good calories to keep you full.

There is no need to go both low fat and low carb, or even to go strictly either one, to control blood sugar. The Mayo Clinic Diabetes Diet (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-diet/DA00027), which is designed to control blood sugar in diabetics, recommends both a moderate intake of high-fiber, whole grain carbs (up to 50% of calories) and a moderate amount of healthy fat (20-35% of calories).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #6  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I add peanut butter to my breakfasts to up the calories and protein without adding carbs. On the mornings I work early I make a whey protein shake with 5 oz. skim milk and 5 oz. water, a Tbsp of peanut butter, a half a banana, and a scoop of chocolate protein powder (the whey protein has a lot less carbs than the soy protein powder I was using, which helps keeps the carbs lower). That's about 325 calories, give or take, plus the 70 calories in my half and half. Plus, it's portable, which is a bonus since I am always running late on my early mornings.

On the mornings I don't have to be at work early, I make oatmeal with a Tbsp and a half of peanut butter, half a Tbsp of honey, and a half scoop of vanilla protein powder, for about 475 calories. It's higher carb because of the oatmeal, but packs a big calorie punch and keeps me full right through until lunch.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #7  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

I usually have peanut butter in the morning too, I either spread it on a banana or mix some into my oatmeal (peanut butter oatmeal is sooooo delicious! good with any type of fruit cut up and mixed in too).

Also have more than one egg, make it 2 (or even three for an omelet) I fry mine up and top with deli ham and low fat american cheese.

A good omelet to try is diced up chicken, black beans, onion, pepper and salsa (or just s sprinkle of hot sauce) with cheese.

And don't forget - breakfast doesn't have to be traditional "breakfast food." I often have leftovers for breakfast (yesterday I had meatballs in tomato sauce and roasted asparagus, yum!).
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #8  
Trying so hard....

Default Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
What do you mean by "Not so fattening"? Are you talking about it being low-fat? "Fattening" really is about having a lot of calories (if you take in more calories than you burn, you will gain weight, so anything high calorie, or even low calorie in large amounts, has the potential to be "fattening").

If you are looking for a low carb breakfast with a fairly high number of calories, you're going to be playing with protein and healthy fat. Protein has 4 calories per gram, and fat has 9 calories per gram, so you can see how adding healthy fats in will help you boost the calories. Nuts would be great, and so would bumping the protein.

What about preparing your oats with protein powder, then topping with chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds, whatever you enjoy)? Or you could mix in peanut butter to your oatmeal.

You could make yourself an omelette of whole eggs or a combination of whole eggs and egg whites, cooked in a tsp or two of olive oil, and stuffed with turkey breast, avocado, and a bit of cheese (full or reduced fat). That'd give you lots of protein, healthy fat, and good calories to keep you full.

There is no need to go both low fat and low carb, or even to go strictly either one, to control blood sugar. The Mayo Clinic Diabetes Diet (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-diet/DA00027), which is designed to control blood sugar in diabetics, recommends both a moderate intake of high-fiber, whole grain carbs (up to 50% of calories) and a moderate amount of healthy fat (20-35% of calories).
That is some good advice...I will try it!!

I am confused then. I have been doing like 30 % fat in my diet of 1800 calories, when I get up to 1800. Does what you're saying mean that I dont have to watch the fats but just calories?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

What causes weight gain is consuming excess calories (more calories than your body burns). Fat contributes some calories to your diet, 9 calories per gram of fat you eat, but protein and carbs contribute calories too. Ultimately, calories determine weight gain/loss. "Fattening" foods (ie, foods that are more likely to cause weight gain) are foods with a lot of calories, whether those calories are coming from fat or protein or carbs.

30% is a good number to aim for, for % calories from fat. My point is that, for blood sugar control and for weight loss, it doesn't have to be quite so precise. You don't want to be, for example, at 50% fat...that's too high. But anywhere from 20-35% is probably OK.

I find if you're worrying about too many different factors (protein, carbs, etc) it can get totally overwhelming and make it really hard to plan a meal.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #10  
Trying so hard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I find if you're worrying about too many different factors (protein, carbs, etc) it can get totally overwhelming and make it really hard to plan a meal.

YOU SAID IT. It is driving me up the wall. I mean really. Thanks for the advice. Its just so very hard, being a new diabetic and a new "changed lifestyle" person.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #11  
Triathlon chica

S/C/G: 270/182.5/??

Height: 5'6"

Don't be afraid of fat, but make it *healthy* fat -- avocado, walnuts, olive oil and the like. Fat fills you up, and your body needs healthy fats to function. (30% of calories is about a good amount but try to keep the satured fat -- aka, full-fat beef -- down.)

I eat really, really strange foods because I can't have gluten for healthy reasons (gluten = bread, oatmeal, etc.) So I just eat leftovers. For example, this morning I had cooked veggies and ground turkey.

But on weekends I eat 2 whole eggs and 1 egg white and maybe a couple of slices of bacon with fruit.

If you *like* your current breakfast but want more calories, add a serving of walnuts (but NOT cooked in oil or salt) to your day. I think 12 walnuts is a serving, but double check me on that.
Athenawithheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #12  
Cie
Maintainer

S/C/G: 240/129/130

Height: 5'5"

I love breakfast which is my biggest meal of the day and I got some great ideas from this thread. I generally eat oatmeal with additional fruit, walnuts etc. Never thought of adding protein powder! Thanks.
Cie is offline   Reply With Quote