Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 148/142/135

Height: 5'6"

Question Will a sugar cookie ever just be a sugar cookie instead of an overeating trigger?!?

I am really trying to take this one day at a time this time and realize that I will have to battle my feelings regarding food all my life. I already have for the past 20 years. But in a negative way.

I am trying to now be positive and reasonable in my approach and realize that eating five of the sugar cookies that I was supposed to be making for church does not mean that I need to eat them all. I am focusing on how full I feel, not totally uncomfortable which I would be if I kept eating. Instead of pitching it all in and calling it a day by eating fries etc tomorrow, I choose not to do that. I plan to have a good day.

But it still leaves me with the question of why can't a sugar cookie just not affect me? I should have just bought a pre-packaged dessert. But my daughter has been asking to make cookies so I thought that I could do it. And in a way I guess I did, it could have been worse. My logical brain says: you ate more cookies than you should have but tomorrow is another day. My emotional overeater brain says: you messed up, keep eating tomorrow, it's easy and feels good in the moment.

Anyone else relate? Thanks.
todayistheday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:51 PM   #2  

Default I hear Ya

Today I ate donuts....AND I DONT EVEN LIKE DONUTS I ate 12 points worth of donuts... it really hurt to count those points but i did... every last one of them
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I think this is the all or nothing thinking I asked about on the Weight Loss Support section. I seen someone else asking about cravings and when do you give into the cravings, and a couple responded they have a piece of chocolate or 2 and it satisfies that craving. jeeze... I know if I allow myself to have 1 piece of chocolate, cookie, chips...I won't stop till they are all gone, or almost gone.

I'm doing calorie counting and thinking maybe if I can work in a small treat, like a couple of cookies or a piece of chocolate I can make this more realistic to stick to for the rest of my life and eat normal portions... I guess it's a habit formed and we have to break it, just like an alcoholic or smoker might have trouble stopping after a couple of drinks or cigarettes and over do it.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 235/170/145

Height: 5'3

It took me forever to figure out how to manage my cravings. After about 8 months of dieting I finally figured out what works for me. At first I would attempt (key word-attempt!) to eat one bite, then throw it away. Ha!!! This more often than not crippled me. So a couple of weeks ago a woman at work brought in donuts for breakfast. You know the women that eat like a 5 yr old but will weigh 130 the rest of their life? Yea, it was one of them.... Well I was like omg duh!! It FinAlly hit me that i need to cut my bite off first, get rid of the rest and then I can eat it once there is no other chance of me being able to turn it into a bad situation. IT WORKS!!!!!!! If I resist I binge like a mad woman the rest of the day. I love food, food loves me. We have a love-hate relationship and I am glad I can finally manage it!
chels38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I'm impressed that you managed to get the cookies in the oven! I have a very serious problem that has led me to swear off baking altogether. My problem is that at least half the batter doesn't even make it into the oven in the first place, then when they come out another 1/4 more is gone, it's lucky if there's a few measly cookies leftover after I've had at them. I wish I could find a way to manage that as well, but the only way I've found so far is to just not bake.
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/248/160

Height: 5'11"

I've managed to keep icecream in the freezer without indulging but I don't think I could manage baking. Nope, no, not a hope. The smell, the process, the sheer sugary goodness is just one trigger after another for me. Maybe one day when I am further along I could do it. I sure hope so!

MN.
ManyNamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeesa View Post
I'm impressed that you managed to get the cookies in the oven! I have a very serious problem that has led me to swear off baking altogether. My problem is that at least half the batter doesn't even make it into the oven in the first place, then when they come out another 1/4 more is gone, it's lucky if there's a few measly cookies leftover after I've had at them. I wish I could find a way to manage that as well, but the only way I've found so far is to just not bake.
I was hopeless when I was into baking. Just a drop would send me over the edge...I'd be mixing brownies, get a bit on a finger, lick it off... and that was it for day, half of it would be gone (baked or not) by the end of the night.

M&Ms, thinking I'm having 10 or so as a treat... then it turns into half the bag an hour later.

Even those 100 calories packs don't work for me, usually having just 1 leaves me more hungry and I can wind up eating a few of those 100 calorie packs, they can be evil! Not sure what's in them but they don't satisfy a craving like the real thing, I think they make it worse actually.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #8  

I also can not stop once I start.It tastes too good.I will eat the whole bag, box, package.I cant even start, I wish i could eat candy, cookies, cakes, donuts, fast food in moderation.But I CANT.I try to fool myself into thinking I can but for me it does not work.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #9  
mdl
whole foods bakery queen

i also have delusions of grandeur, that i will be able to bake, or buy cookies and just have a normal portion. then i act shocked when i over do it. then i remember that i tell myself not to keep it in the house or do things that have such a potential for binge moments for me. you have to limit your binge triggers and for everyone those are different. i would have just bought dessert and told my daughter that my back hurt and i couldn't bake?

but good for you for stopping though!!! i liked the "i plan to have a good day" we need to do things that help us on that plan. if that means no more baking so be it...

btw, i had to throw out the bday cake my mom mailed me b/c i knew i would eat the whole thing. i just can't keep stuff around unless i have others around. it sucks sometimes and i think can't it just be one. maybe one day it will but you gotta just stay in the now and what works now...overall, i saw good job
mdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8"

I have finally got the nerve to post here. I read posts daily and can relate very often to others, but after reading todayistheday's post I just have to say it sounds sooooo much like me! Why can't I have one of something and not feel like 'oh well, I've messed up, I might as well just eat everything I want now' ??!!!???
JoshNikDil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 193/190-ish/140

Height: 5'7"

I definitely have a hard time with moderation. I guess I keep hoping that somehow someday I'll learn to have "just a little," but for now my best bet is to keep them out of my diet altogether. (I miss Oreos like you'd miss a dead loved one, let me tell you!)

Good for you for being able to stop, though! You should be proud of yourself. Okay, you weren't perfect, but instead of getting into the same old negative pattern, you were able to stop it. I think that's pretty impressive.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #12  
the camera adds 10 lbs

S/C/G: 258/ticker/185

its so funny that we spend so much of our time and energy thinking about food our weight our bodies...on paper it seems so simple...why is it so freaking hard and why cant we take control ???
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #13  
Rif

S/C/G: 340/148/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeesa View Post

Have you tried baking at different times during the day. I love to bake, but try to limit it to the morning because I'm not tempted then, whereas if I bake in the afternoon or evening, look out!
Rif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #14  
the camera adds 10 lbs

i was off work for 2 weeks...in the mornings i take care of my father in law with dementia...im back at work but im afraid to get on the scale...wayyy too much sitting around
Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #15  
the camera adds 10 lbs

does anyone have any foods that make them feel sick but you eat them anyway???mine is chinese food...thats also 1 food that ill eat until its all gone...same with meatloaf