Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 03-31-2009, 11:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/203/150

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Bra strap indents, do they go away after weightloss?

I have been a C cup most of my adult life. After my 3rd child was born 5 years ago I have had a really hard time getting my weight off and I am now a DD. From the weight of my chest I have gotten indents were my bra straps sit by my shoulders. I assume when I get back to a healthy weight my cup size will also go back to normal.

Will these indents go away on their own or is there something I can do or have done to make this go away?

Anyone else had this problem?
Back on Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:41 AM   #2  

You might check that your bras fit correctly. The support should be coming from the band, not from the straps.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:04 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I was also going to say that your bras might not be the correct size.

I did have a bit of that from the back, but as I've lost weight my bras are fitting loosely. The smaller bras I have started closing on the tighter clasps and have shortened the straps as far as I can go- but I'm definitely going to start buying some new bras as they are all starting to get big now.

So overall yes once you lose weight the bras won't be so tight and you shouldn't have marks
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
You might check that your bras fit correctly. The support should be coming from the band, not from the straps.
I completely agree with this comment. if you have indents or marks on your body anywhere, they should be on the band around your ribcage. This is where the support is meant to come from. The band should be tight and it will squeeze you in if you are overweight. It shouldn't just sit lightly on the surface, you should only be able to fit a couple of fingers in between you and the band. If you can strech it out much further than this, it's too loose.

http://www.bravissimo.com/perfectfit...t/default.aspx

The link above provides some excellent advice for fitting a bra correctly - hope it helps!

To respond to your question, the ribcage band of a bra will mark you if you are overweight, as it will pinch in the fat a bit. When there is less fat sitting over your ribs, you'll find that it can support you well without the marks being as obvious.
tinycities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:35 AM   #5  
rainy

What I have been told is you do not always loose breast mass while you lose weight. Being the breast partially made of gland tissue and partially made from fat tissue, you really loose only on the fat mass, but it varies from woman and woman and it may be little compared to the gland tissue. So actually when you diet you may not loose breast because yours is all gland, and the opposite of course.
I have those indents coming from the straps but since I don't like to have things too tight on me, bra included and always keep everything pretty loose, they ease up a little. I think they'll go away both as you lose weight and as your skin 'heals', remember it's always replacing itself.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:36 AM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Have yourself fitted at a good bra shop. Your bra size is wrong. I just did this yesterday because my bra have never fit correctly. What a difference the right size bra makes in the way you feel and carry yourself. I went from a 38DDD (cause that is the only thing I could find to hold it all in) to a 32G. My band size was way too big and the straps were doing all the work. Now the band is holding me up.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote