Old 03-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Default Confession time...here we go, deep breath.

I have lost 20 pounds. That's great and all but I really don't feel like I have worked for it. I mean, yes. I have better control over the mindless eating (grazing) I was doing and yes, I am more conscience of what I am putting in my mouth and how it is prepared. Fast food is a rare treat, and never anything fried or mayo covered...portions are smaller. That's good, I know. However, I just don't feel I have WORKED for this weight loss. Does that make any sense to anyone? Between, sick kids, sick me, messed up foot, I haven't worked out like I should and I haven't made HUGE diet changes. Somehow I feel like I am cheating.

I watch "Biggest Loser" or see the success of some of you here and I think, "if only I applied more effort, I could be down so many more pounds."

Don't get me wrong, I am glad I have lost 20 pounds, I just feel I haven't done enough. Is it PMS? Or am I really being as lasse faire about this journey as I feel? I know you don't have to suffer to lose weight, but somehow I think there should be more...I don't know, sacrafice or something involved here.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Oh, I think there will be a time when you will HAVE to put more effort into it to lose weight, but just enjoy the easy pounds for now. There's nothing wrong with waiting until you HAVE to start fighting them off to put forth a great deal of effort. Congrats!!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #3  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 280/272/160

Height: 5'8"

I know what you mean. I dropped 20 pounds in the first 3 weeks and it seemed sort of effortless. Then I would read how someone was struggling with a 2 pound weightloss in the same amount of time and I'd feel guilty if I wanted to post how proud I was. But you know what, that is the nature of weight loss. It fluctuates for different people, and especially for women. What really matters is that you realize the number on the scale is only a small part of what you are accomplishing. You are embarking on a lifestyle overhaul. You are making better decisions about what you put in your mouth, you are making a decision to be healthier, and you are altering your, and every one around you, perception of who you are and what you are capable of. That IS work, but it's worth it. You should look for ways to congratulate your victories instead of finding ways to take your victories aways...trust me, the world will try to do that for you, and you just have to say NO! I did this, and I'm proud of me.
Iheartsushi418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #4  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Honestly I feel that way most of the time! This is NOT very hard for me. I sometimes feel like this should be harder... and I KNOW that there will be a time when it is and I'll be wishing it was easier again

You WORKED for those 20 lbs. You made changes, you changed your lifestyle! If that's not work I don't know what is

Congratulations on your 20 lbs lost. You earned it my friend.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #5  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Although I haven't lost much weight, I think you're being too hard on yourself. I think you have to take it as it comes, don't over think it and definitely don't punish yourself for losing 20lbs without what you consider not working hard for it. Obviously you do work hard for it, you pay attention to what you eat, you take care of a family-if that's not work, I don't know what is. I say all of this to say you did work for it.....
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

You've made changes...the changes that you posted in my opinion are big changes (especially the fast food, that was a hard one for me). I definately think those 20lbs are a great reward for the changes you've made...especially for the obstacles you've been facing since you started.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #7  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Enjoy it and don't feel guilty. It will get harder, and you will work harder as you go along. That's great that it seems natural for you! Give yourself some credit... you have made great changes so far and probably don't even realize it.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #8  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Being easy won't last that long, enjoy it while you can!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/HEALTHY

Height: 5"6

Celebrate and enjoy what you have accomplished! As others have said, don't think about the negative and enjoy the positive. Losing 20 pounds IS a big deal. If it came easy for you then relish in it, Im sure it will get tougher but you will get through that as well.

Keep up the good work!
Inkabetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #10  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I would do the happy dance for the easy 20lbs, and try to remember that mood when you're working out 5x a week and losing 1 pound if you're lucky LOL I'm all for making small, easy to manage changes - look what happens when you change a few easy things?! wicked!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #11  

Height: 5'11"

I also think that sometimes we have the idea that losing weight HAS to be hard, and sometimes it's really not, depending on what we were doing before. I'm not saying it's always easy, but say that I was drinking 4 beers and eating fried food every single day and maintaining on that.. (I wasn't, just for the record, heh!). Then if I were to stop with the 4 beers and change fried chicken for broiled, I would start losing. It wouldn't necessarily be a difficult change, but it's a significant change and would result in a significant drop in calories consumed.

As others have said, there will probably be a time when it will feel more difficult but you HAVE made significant changes. We need to get over the idea that it's not really something we deserve unless we've felt great sacrifice and deprivation, because weight loss doesn't have to be that way. I've only been on this journey for about 3 months. I'm not losing like crazy but I AM losing and once I got past the stage where I was craving my cookies and chips, it has not really been difficult at all. I'm accustomed to my new lifestyle and this is just the way it is now.

Congratulations on your accomplishment!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Thanks everyone.
I think maybe I just have this nagging feeling that I should have lost more then 20 pounds since January. That if I did MORE, I'd be farther along. Of course, I could have burned myself out (like I have in the past) if I tried to change my entire life right away...(I suppose)

I guess slow and steady is working and I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. My older two are going back to school tomorrow after spring break and soon we will be back in our old routine and I can start kicking this up a notch.

Thanks for the prospective.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #13  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

Congrats on your loss so far and remember, the contestants on "The Biggest Loser" have trainers and more time to exercise, so their weight loss is not typical of most people. Do it at your own pace and don't compare yourself to others, sounds like you are on the right track!
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote