Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #1  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Angry My Fruit & Veggie rant!

I love fruit and eat it often, 'specially bananas. I went to the store about 8 days ago and bought 4 bunches of green bananas (did I mention I enjoy my bananas?) I use the green bags as I think they work wonderful and my bananas will keep for 3 weeks in these bags, hence the reason I buy my bananas in bulk! I put 3 bunches of bananas into 3 green bags and 1 bunch I hung on my banana tree fruit bowl in my kitchen like I always do so in a few days they will ripen, well the green bananas are still green as green can be and they have been hanging to ripen in my warm 75 degree home for 8 days now and they and hard like a rock! I tried to peel one to see if it was ripe on the inside, but nope, wouldn't even peel worth a darn! Needless to say I just threw them out and 2 days ago, I opened a bag of bananas that I had in the green bags and this bunch of bananas is normal and starting to ripen, whew! I was hoping I didn't buy 4 bad bunches!!!! Anybody else ever have bad green bananas that never ripened? Oh yeah the stem that is holding the bananas together did turn black like that has been ripe for a long time though, so bizarre!

Like throwing away the bad bananas wasn't enough, today for lunch I made myself a sweet potatoe in the microwave, when it was done I sliced it open and instead of the nice orange color, it was a pale yellow and not nearly as sweet as they normally are, Hmmmp, so strange!!!! I topped the sweet potatoe with peanut butter and ate it anyways, but still my fruit and veggies have let me down today grrrrr
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Once we got some bananas that stayed green and just went straight from hard to rotten. Grrrrr.

Maybe you got a yam instead of a sweet potato?

Take heart--there will be other fruits, other veggies...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #3  
Workin' It

The last five, yes five, bunches of bananas that I picked up went straight from green to hard to rotten, also. Got them all from different places, too. I've decided I just don't have the 'pick out good bananas' gene. Not had a problem with sweet potatoes yet, but just started buying them.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #4  

Well I feel way better now knowing that I'm not the only one that has had a bad bunch,...... I much prefer the nice dancin yellow ones!
I washed the sweet potatoe or yam down with some chocolate milk for dessert, so all in all it was still a pretty good lunch that kinda resembled a reeses peanut butter cup!
Old 03-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am admittedly thrifty. I keep my receipts and get my money back when I get bad stuff. So sorry about the problems.

I got ahold of bad fish from Kroger last week--three pounds of flounder. eWWWW!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #6  
Takin it 1 day at a time

S/C/G: 200/165/130

Height: 5' 6"

So, do those green bags really work? I was a skeptic so, I haven't wanted to invest the money.
debbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I have had a few weird bunches of Romaine lettuce - harshly bitter-tasting, not at all like the usual Romaine taste. No idea what was wrong with it! *shrug*
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 318/211/140

Height: 5'2"

I love those green bags. I have only used them for bananas but they worked really well on those!
Mainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbies View Post
So, do those green bags really work? I was a skeptic so, I haven't wanted to invest the money.

They work great for me, I did not buy the fancy ones they advertise on TV, I bought a green generic version which I found at Menards for a mere $5 & have been using the same bags over and over again. No more brown spotted bananas for me.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #10  
Takin it 1 day at a time

S/C/G: 200/165/130

Height: 5' 6"

Great to hear about the green bags. I will give the generics a try too.
debbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #11  
Workin' It

I've got to try the greenbags on bananas... And, Thighsbegone, I've taken a few bunces of bananas back myself! The first one I figured for a fluke, after three I got mad, so the last two went back to the stores!

Wendalyn - I still haven't tried the sweet potato with peanut butter, but I have sweet potatoes now, so just might make it my evening snack...
Old 03-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #12  

Try it Shannon, you'll like it albeit. I love peanut butter on my bananas too, infact it makes a great sandwich on whole wheat toast! By the way great pics shannon and nice GIRLS too, you look so slim and trim!
Old 03-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #13  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwomaniamshe View Post
By the way great pics shannon and nice GIRLS too, you look so slim and trim!
Thanks Wendalyn!

Alas, I just learned my sweet potatoes have gone bad. I do have bananas, so i might try the banana/pb/wheat toast idea instead!
Old 03-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Wandering off to have a banana and to make sure I have sweet potato to have for dinner, thanks for the ideas guys
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:34 AM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, I don't the banana problem, but I have had a bad run of avocados. It's so annoying. First they're either very hard or way too soft at the store. Then when I do find a "just right" one, I cut it open and it's brown - ewwww.

PB on sweet potato, hmmmm that sounds like a good idea. I just happen to have one.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote