Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #1  

Default subway sammich

ive been eating so much subway lately! i know not everyone is the biggest fan of subway (the smell that permeates every. single. subway store is kinda ridiculous!)

BUT i have a sandwich that i really like. turkey, pepper jack, spinach, onion, green peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes, cukes, and honey mustard on wheat. toasted

today i got a footlong at 11am and ate half of it then and the rest around 530.

as i was eating i was thinking about how nutritious it really is! (and thinking next time im going to get olive oil instead of the mustard.)

anyway, what do yall think? turkey is a super food, veggies are crucial, we neeed to eat dairy, and a healthy oil or two rounds out a great day on program! doesnt it sound super healthy (barring the whole i dont want to eat the same thing every day) to eat subway every day????
partypantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:42 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Well isn't that what Jared did? Three subway sandwhiches a day? Walked to and from there?

I eat subway two times a week for dinner because I go to school and don't have time get dinner those days- it's like 630 calories for what I get- but it's a huge meal.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:17 AM   #3  

Height: 4'11"

I don't think it's terrible, but the bread doesn't fill me up at all for some reason!
ravensglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Yup, I think Subway sandwiches (or any other subs with lots of veggies and very little cheese) are pretty healthy, assuming you don't have any medical reason to watch certain nutrients.

If you had to keep your sodium low, that meat would make it tough... if you were watching carbs, the bread may not help (although it's so flimsy/fluffy compared to normal sub rolls so it's not too bad)... and if you were trying to keep your saturated fat down, the cheese wouldn't be a good choice.

BUT for someone who has no medical issues to worry about and does well on a medium-to-high-carb diet (like me!), they're a nice option! I don't even know if there IS a subway in my city, I'm not a fan of their bread, and they don't have some of my favorite items (can't make a hummus and bacon sub with sprouts and pickles!) so I never really eat there, but I have a lot of respect for them.

Also, by some really quick math, it looks like your sandwich was under 800 calories altogether, which is totally reasonable for two meals.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

Subway is great.

I get wheat with chicken breast, shredded cheese toasted. Then spinach, lettuce, onion, and vinegar. It's around 400 - 450. And I always just get a water. It doesn't always completely fill me up, but it's SUPER good!
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I adore Subway--usually available, the right price, and I trust them on calories...LOL..plus I get to watch to make sure it's prepared the way I like..

The huge veggie salads are SIXTY calories..I LOVE THAT! OMG--and yes, the sandwiches are very good--I like the oven roasted chicken breast on wheat, all veggies, no cheese and vinegar(no oil) only and TOASTED...LOL

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-26-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

You know, the bread doesn't fill me up at ALL either!!! I don't think any bread offering there is whole grain....does anyone know for certain??
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 231/ticker/165

Height: 6'1

I've never had a Subway, and am put off because I heard that they can be really unhealthy because of the high levels of salt, don't quote me on that though!
LucyFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

I love the Subway Club Salad, I'm not a huge bread fan so I get a salad with my choice of veggies, 2 thin slices of turkey, 2 roast beef and 1 slice of ham. They probably have more sodium then prefered by some but the calories with fat free Sweet Onion dressing is on 230. The Subway Club Sandwich with ff Sweet Onion is 360 calories. I do have half a sandwich occasionaly, if I happen to go there with my husband, especially right now while they have the special, any foot long sub for $5.00, that is what I usually pay for a salad.
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

Some of the sandwiches can be pretty unhealthy, but if you're not downing meatball subs stuffed with cheese it's a whole heck of a lot better than most other fast-food options. I'm partial to the turkey on wheat with lettuce, olives, and honey-mustard--yummy!

BTW: Jared only ate two sandwiches a day--a six-inch for lunch and a twelve-inch for dinner--and he bought them from the Subway a few feet away from where I wait for the bus to go home every day

Last edited by tkm256; 03-26-2009 at 10:02 AM.
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I love Subway! We have it for dinner at least once a week. They have a 9 grain wheat bread that's fairly new.

I like the Turkey, with cucumbers, black olives and sweet onion sauce..........didn't know they had spinach I'll have to add that next time!
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #12  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

I like subway however their 6 in sandwiches fill me up right away and then I'm hungry again no more than an hour later. A moderate to low carb diet seems to keep me fuller longer though, when I have a bunch of carbs (like their sub roll) it makes me hungry!
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

I love subway and have also thought bought about it. I love the roast beef on whole wheat.
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #14  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

Subway is about the only fast food place I can go to eat! I get the same thing every time I go Over roasted chicken breast on wheat, foot long with American cheese (I know not really good) and light mayo. (also not good) with lettuce.

Its not the best in calories but compared to the rest its WAY better, and I usually eat on 6 inch when i get it and save the rest for later. And since Im watching the calories I only eat there about twice a week, if Im lucky.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

I love the turkey 6 inch sub I just had one last night
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote