Old 03-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Default help, most accurate bmr calculator

I have some questions abut figuring out how many calories I need. All the talk about starvation mode or slowing my metabolism down scares me!

Some people say to increase your calories the days you do exercise, strength, cardio, does this still apply if you are trying to lose weight?

What is the most accurate site for calculating my resting metabolic rate? If a sight says something like 1400-1500 (just rounding off here), is that how much I should eat if I do absolutely nothing all day? Does basic things like cooking, going to the bathroom, add more calories or no?

What is considered sedentary, lightly active, moderately active, very active etc...? I'm unemployed right now and most days really do next to nothing, so I'm not sure if I even fit in the sedentary category. I'm trying to exercise, but some days I don't, some days I just do a little bit (probably a topic for another post), so if I can get my eating right atleast I'm doing something.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

I have found this link http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ to be the best BMR calculator (sorry I tried to just attach the link but it would not work)

After figuring out your BMR then go to the link for Harris Benedict there you will see what you need to lose.

As far as determining your activity level, I had some of the same questions, and I lean toward the less active side, better to be safe than sorry.

These calculators are very accurate and what many professionals use.

Once you figure out what you need in a day for your activity level to maintain then deduct 500 calories per day if you want to lose 1 pound a week, or 1000 calories per day if you want to lose 2 pounds a week. Many people have the mind set that you need to be at 1000-1200 calories to lose weight, and that does not work. For most people that causes more harm than good--me being one of them. I need 1800 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. When I dip below 1500 calories I stop, dead in my tracks, and wont lose any more till I ease it back at least to 1650.

Hope that helps
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #3  
Weight Watchers!

S/C/G: 221/ticker/175

Height: 5'

i have been very happy with what the daily plate is telling me. it tells me how many calories to eat and before i was trying to count the deficit. that did not work very well.

i would say once you find that number stick with it for at least 2-3 weeks. this will give you an idea if it is going to work or not.
eviemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 259/259/175

Height: 5'11"

I'm with you Red. If I eat less than 1500 I stop losing. I stick to around 1700-1800. That site is where I get my information too.

DiscoveryHealth.com has great resources as well
dkneec19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Any calorie calculator out there is just an estimate and it is not easy to create a good estimate for everyone. Depending on how much you weigh, it may be good to start with a number (like 1800 calories) and see how your body reacts. You need to adjust over time as you lose weight and depending on how your body reacts to how many calories you are eating.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I think it depends on what you weigh (whether or not you lose less if you eat 1200-1300ish). Staying around 1300 with a few high days (1600-1900) a month has been working for me lately.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote