Old 03-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/196/170

Height: 5'6"

Default Duathlon Training!!!

I've signed up to do a duathlon in June on Father's Day. (I didn't realize it was on Father's day until my dad pointed that out!) Anyways, it's in Smiths Falls (which is about an hour from Ottawa) where we go for Father's Day every year anyway to play golf with my grandfather and cousins and uncles.

Aaaaaanyways, I digress. I mostly just want to see if there's anyone who's ever done a duathlon or even a triathlon that could offer any pointers or tips they used when they were training.

Right now I'm doing a lot of rowing and biking at the gym. I'm averaging about 4:20 bike mile. I'd like to be at the point in June where i'm doing a 3 minute mile.. or at least a lot closer to 3 minute bike mile. I also need to get back into a training regime with my running.

My duathlon is essentially a 2.2km run followed by a 26km bike ride and then finished with a 5km run at the end.

I've run 5km before and I'm actually doing another race in April to help me prepare, as well as the ottawa race weekend I'll probably do a 10km then. I haven't quite decided. All I know is the last time I tried a 10km, I didn't train enough and wasn't anywhere near ready.

Sorry about the long post, hopefully people won't get bored reading it. Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Loraloo; 03-23-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Loraloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/187/150

i've got a lot of friends who have done dus and am currently training. the favored strategy is to do at least 3 workouts per week, 1 run, 1 bike, and 1 brick (bike followed immediately by run or vice versa). I do 3-6 workouts per week. I mix up my bike and run workouts by changing goals- some are distance, some are speed, some are intervals- and I alternate the order of my bricks.
lobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/196/170

yeah, i've been doing both together. i didn't think to spread it out or consider them their own workout.
Thanks!
Loraloo is offline   Reply With Quote