Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 09:00 PM   #1  

Question Help me out with ice cream!

I'm absolutely ADDICTED to ice cream. I try to stop myself, but everynight after dinner, I grab an ice cream cone and much away. It's only those little ones, but the nutritional info adds to like 200 calories, 7g fat... any tips?? I was thinking of trying creamsicles because they seem to be lower in fat. and those freeze pops don't really do it for me. I have a huge sweet tooth!

thanks,

Sachi
Old 05-30-2002, 10:12 PM   #2  

Default Ice cream yum

Hi Sachi,

I adore ice cream too.. I generally have some every nite. I don't know what is available in Canada, but I can tell you what I eat here.

Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches.. they run 130-140 calories each and 2 to 2.5 grams of fat. They also make sundae cups, which I have never tried. They have a website http://www.skinnycow.com. I know Weight watchers Smart ones also started making ice cream sandwiches. They have similar nutritional values as the skinny cows. I also like sorbet, which if you look around, can find a good one for no fat and 120 or so calories.

We have several good brands of ice cream here that make decent low fat/ non fat versions.. Dreyers, Edys, Ben and Jerrys.. etc. I hope someone from your province can come up with some specific ice creams that you may have there.. sorry I wish I knew what you could get.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:28 AM   #3  

Default Healthy Choice

If you really really crave ice cream.. I can think of a few options.
First.. dont deny yourself of all ice cream.. but just keep it in moderation and you will have to exercise a bit of self control I know its tough.. I battle it myself.. we all do!

so ..
1) Buy Healthy Choice, Light, or fat free ice cream. I personally like Healthy Choice or Light Eddys or Bryers. They taste very smiliar... and you could add healthy toppings such as strawberries or bananas.

2)If you need to get the fat-filled ice cream.. (as I like to call it), then get either a very small container (and I am not talking about gettin Ben and Jerrys), but a small container of the 7grams of fat or whatever it is kind. So 1/4 of a gallon I think they come in.

3) Go out and get 1 scoop of ice cream when you get the craving. That way.. its not in your house and there is no more temptation. But you have to restrict yourself to doing this every so often... once a week.. once every two weeks.. whatever helps you get through it.

But everyone deserves a small treat now and then.. so if you have worked out hard for 2 weeks straight.. go get yourself scoop... you deserve it!

-Tanya
Old 06-02-2002, 04:04 PM   #4  

I feel your pain!
Ice cream is my ULTIMATE weakness....
unfortunately, my rail-thin sister loves it so it's always in the house, despite my compliants...

Anyways, you said you already use the mini-ice cream cones...
just fill it to the top of the cone, no blob on top and that keeps it to like 50 cal and less than 1 gram of fat....
(with frozen yogurt at least)

also, for a healthy spin on things, if you go to any health food store they have these "Soy Dream" bars that honestly taste EXACTLY like "normal" ice cream, plus they have soy protein and all that... still about 100 cal and 2g fat or less but they're a nice change....

aaaaand... if you know you're going to have ice cream, maybe try it as an after-lunch thing... more time left in the day to burn it off, etc... or just make sure you're really good all day and use it as a reward..... ie: if you eat all your veggies and drink all your water, THEN and ONLY then can you have your treat

good luck!!!
Old 06-23-2002, 12:29 PM   #5  

Default Ice cream

Another great low-points ice cream out there is the Velvet brand that is sweetened with Splenda: 2 points for half a cup. The double chocolate fudge is WONDERFUL--tastes more like premium Ben and Jerry's than a no-sugar alternative.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:16 PM   #6  

Default I love Edy's

I have found that so many fat free ice creams are funny tasting or kind of gooey in texture, but I just bought Edy's brand fat free yogurt in chocolate-vanilla swirl flavor and it was delicious. It was a good texture and tasted sweet and creamy (although I will admit the flavor isn't as intense as full fat ice cream). It was the best I've tasted yet, and it only has 90 calories and 0 fat per half cup serving. I've also tasted their sugar free fat free ice cream and it does have a better taste than others, but it's a little on the hard side and I liked the yogurt better.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:50 PM   #7  

Default Ice Cream

I love the Skinney Cows ice cream sandwiches, too, but they get kind of expensive. I came up with an idea that my mom, friends and I all really enjoy and even my adult son has succumbed to. I buy the old fashioned Nabisco chocolate wafer cookies. They have been around for years and are usually found near the ice cream section in a narrow yellow box. Using a half gallon of lower fat ice cream in my favorite flavor, I make ice cream sandwiches as soon as I can (so I don't get tempted to put it into larger portions) using 1/4 to 1/3 cup measure (I fill the measuring cup and twirl a knife around the edge to lift it out onto the cookie). Using 1/3 cup and the two wafers comes to 2 points on WW. I wrap each one separately and freeze them. It is great to have it already portioned and seems like it takes longer to eat these than a dish or cone.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:17 PM   #8  
Rat Terrier Chick

foxglove,

Are these Nabisco chocolate wafer cookies the chocolate Nilla type wafers, found next to Vanilla/Nilla wafers? Thanks!
Old 07-14-2002, 09:08 PM   #9  

No - I don't find them in the cookie aisle - they are usually near the ice cream products (the syrups and toppings, etc.) and are called Nabisco's "Famous Chocolate Wafers". One box does a half gallon's worth of ice cream sandwiches. Years ago I remember using these with whipped cream in between the cookies and then coating the whole thing with whipped cream = put them in the freezer and slice on the diagonal. This is probably one of the many reasons why I have to watch my weight now!!! But it is this recipe that made them famous and they use that in the name of the cookie.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:33 PM   #10  
Rat Terrier Chick

Thank you! I've added these to my shopping list and will pick up a box this week. I appreciate you taking time to clear this up for me!
Closed Thread