Old 03-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #1  
Weight Watchers!

S/C/G: 221/ticker/175

Height: 5'

Question For those of you who use the daily plate, I have a question

I just started using the daily plate yesterday and I have a question about the exercise calories. I have used Fitday for awhile and Map my Run. Map my runs says that I burned 283 calories on the walk away the pounds 4 mile video I did today. Daily plate says 582, that is a big difference. Has anyone had a problem with the exercise counter?

I did follow what they said to a T yesterday and I lost .5lb (that is a big deal since the scale has not moved in a month)
eviemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #2  
1200 cal or more

S/C/G: 201/175.6/164

Height: 5'7'' Age 29

I don't have an answer to your question today was the first time I put in any walking exercise. I know I walked/jogged 4 miles today with my mother and it took us 1 hour. I put in only 45 minutes just to be on the safe side. Maybe someone else can be helpful It was like 421 calories burned.
DeniseW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

The Daily Plate consistently overestimates my calorie burn by at least 30%, so I'd be careful about it. That could just be me, though, I think my metabolism is slower than average. Still, if it's working for you, then great!
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #4  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I think TDP overestimates too. I have no idea why it does that and I wish it were more accurate but I guess it cant be perfect because everyone is different.

I work out at the gym and manually enter my calories burned into TDP based on what the machines tell me I have burned. I don't enter anything in for strength training because I have no clue how many calories I burn doing that.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/162/?

Height: 5'10''

I agree. I just started using the website too, and I think it really overestimates. I also hate how it "nets" my calories, as in it subtracts the calories I supposedly burned by exercise from my food intake. I don't put my exercise in anymore I just try to push myself to do some form of exercise every day.
ilovetoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #6  
Weight Watchers!

Thanks, for the past 2 days I have followed it and lost .5lb each day so we will see. Of course as I lose weight those numbers will go down but I just think it is too much. I like the net calories because I was using Fitday and they tell you what you burned compared to what you ate but I was never sure what my deficit should be. So for now I am liking this.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #7  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I've been using it for almost a year.

I completely ignore the whole section where it tells me how many calories I could eat, or how many it says I burned. If I paid any attention to that then I would be eating back everything I burned off through exercise, or maybe even more!!

Instead, it's good for me just to track what I eat and do for exercise each day.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #8  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

It was my understanding that DP actually tries to calculate based on your weight and FD does not. If that is true DP would likely be more accurate and FD underestimates. I am tempted to do some testing with various exercise calculators to see.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #9  
Weight Watchers!

After I looked at some other calculators, like caloriesperhour.com, it looks like daily plate is very close.

The reason you add the calories back in after you exercise is because it gives you how many you need to consume to lose weight. Mine is set at 2lbs per week and it tells me to take in 1400+ so if I exercise for 1hour and burn 500 calories I would only be eating 900. This is what I have been doing for awhile and have had no weight loss. So when I add the calories back in I lose weight. This may not be the case for everyone.