Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

Talking Provencal Greens Soup

This is presently simmering on the stove. I made it with red swiss chard. I haven't tried it yet, but it smells really tasty.
Instead of croutons I threw in some sliced red potatoes I had leftover from brunch on Sunday. I can't wait til its done!
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

making this tomorrow. yum
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #3  

i just realized there is a recipes section. oops. my bad.
also i added way more water so i would have more soup. and more garlic. and huge leeks. so basically i have a huge vat of soup. i thnk you can only add the egg if you're gonna eat it all that night. so i might do it piece-meal. though honestly it tastes fine w/o. i think the egg just makes it more creamy.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It looks amazing, thanks!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #5  

I love soups featuring greens. Agree that you probably want to add the eggs when you reheat. I would be inclined to use just one or two eggwhites per bowl. It won't be creamy but you will get in some protein and the soup will be a more satisfying meal. I would also think the olive oil could be cut in half based on my experience with the proportions. I would have to be very very careful with those croutons. My kid used to call them cryptons- yikes like cryptonite!

Oh, almost forgot- I have been using dandelions from the garden in my greens soups and they are good and it feels nice to be eating free foraged food.

Last edited by tommy; 03-19-2009 at 04:27 PM.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/172/140

Height: 5'5''

This sounds wonderful, thank you. When you make Greek Avgolemono Soup you use the 2 eggs, but the whole egg in order to make the soup creamy. I imagine it would be the same here and probably it would be better to add the egg to warm soup right before serving because it may seperate. Since you've added more water you might want to add another egg as well so it isn't runny. What a great recipe - protein and greens. I printed it out. It's dinner, I swear. I have all the ingredients. Thanks again and enjoy.
shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I imagine you could probably substitute white beans for eggs. White beans are full of fiber and make soups creamy.

Only thing I'd be a little worried about with this soup is there are no seasonings?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #8  

ok mine is sorta done and i cannot stop eating it!! i didn't actually get to the egg part, but i imagine it just brings it to the next level. however, i would say that if you're hesitant about the egg, i would sooner exclude it altogether than to just use egg white. i added potato to give it more of a main course heft. i think the croutons would be fine provided you make them yourself, as suggested by the recipe. that way you control what's going on. i think a crouton would be nice, actually. also, i'm not really a recipe follower so i just added olive oil as i saw fit in order to sautee the huge quantity of leeks. i imagine i probably used at least twice as much (enough to coat the bottom of my soup pot and then to remoisten things when it got a bit dry). but again, soups are not an exact science so i'm sure you can tweak liberally. ie: i decided i wanted more soup so i just added more water and simmered longer for the flavor to really get in there.

as for the seasonings. i used two ENORMOUS leeks. leeks, if you're not familiar, bear some similarities to onions. i also doubled up on the garlic because i love garlic and was using more water. the rest was just seasoned with kosher salt and a bit of pepper. it is absolutely delicious. you don't really need seasonings because simmering the leeks and garlic in the water makes something like a vegetable stock. salt to taste. also the grated parm on top adds a really nice touch and also adds a bit of extra complex saltiness.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I would probably add a little white pepper, I just love white pepper
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I wouldn't worry about the eggs. You whisk them into the soup when it isn't boiling but still hot. They will shirr and cook. You have them in Chinese egg drop soup all the time. They will be cooked and I've never had them separate on me.

I'm going to try this soup very soon. I think I'll take a page out of Tommy's book and go forage in my yard for the dandelion greens since boobalah hasn't turned the garden over for planting yet.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote