Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/248/130

Height: 5'2''

Arrow carb/sugar addiction

Hey chicks. So im pretty sure im addicted to carbs/sugar. Basically its like this. If I eat a nice meal of chicken breast and veggies, 15 minutes later im jittery, hungry, weak, and tired. Im not sure why. Then, when I eat something sweet I feel comfortable and ready to fall asleep, then when I wake up, im ready to eat more sugar. If I dont eat sugar, I feel miserable and crave it until I give in. I hope this sounds familiar to someone. Anyhow, ive read all the books, Atkins, SBD, Low GI, etc. and tried each for about 2 weeks. I dont remember much, as much of the time I was in a blur, and really weak/tired. I need to detox off of sugar, and have been trying, but I feel like my body is going to give out soon. The only way that I seem to avoid sugar is to eat other foods, to give me that "full" feeling. I dont usually feel full until I eat something loaded with sugars (no matter how much I consume). Would it be okay to eat low carb things (similar to atkins induction) as much as I want to avoid the sugar cravings? Do I make sense? I tried the Atkins Induction and felt jittery the entire time. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
huniebunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 PM   #2  

I would recommend getting in your sugar from natural sources, like fruits, sweet potatoes, carrots...and maybe try making a dessert (try any of the recipes from the South Beach Diet threads on recipes for a dessert) that is still has carbohydrates, just not those coming from pure sugar...
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:18 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Out of curiousity, have you ever been tested for diabetes or hypoglycemia?
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 251/248/130

Height: 5'2''

Actually, I have been prediabetic in the past, when I changed doctors, ,my new doctor told me my lab work looked pretty good and that I was no longer prediabetic. I have told him about the jittery feelings, but he just said it would be better with metformin, which I stopped taking a while back. Is hypoglycemia related to diabetes?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Keep em comin' !!
huniebunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by huniebunie View Post
Actually, I have been prediabetic in the past, when I changed doctors, ,my new doctor told me my lab work looked pretty good and that I was no longer prediabetic. I have told him about the jittery feelings, but he just said it would be better with metformin, which I stopped taking a while back. Is hypoglycemia related to diabetes?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Keep em comin' !!
IMHO, I would follow up on this.
Yes, hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is related to diabetes. Unfortunately, a lot of Dr's do not recognize hypoglycemia...but...its very real with very real symptoms ranging from hunger, shakiness, confusion & weakness to psychotic episodes.
Of course, I am not a Dr. but in all honesty, from the symptoms you're describing, there is definitely a problem.
All the best to you

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 03-20-2009 at 11:08 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/237/200

Height: 5'3"

i have low blood sugar, and super low carbs seems to be the only thing that has helped. And actually, my dr told me no fruit. Maybe a green apple a day. Ever since cutting out carbs, whenever I eat them all these awful symptoms come back and hit me like a ton of bricks. I was on vacation last week and couldn't subject my friends to the low carb lifestyle (most people think I'm crazy). So, I ate a whole bunch of carbs. I've been walking around almost high ever since. Dizzy, blurred vision, headaches, generally incapable of processing information speedily. My Dr put me on Metformin this week, I'm looking forward to the results.

I have to say, as far as weight loss goes, even Atkins/ low carb has hit a wall for me. I stopped losing weight a while ago, but I really feel so much better when I'm not eating carbs. I'm hoping the Metformin will help with this. I'm also obviously not a Dr, but I think you should pick a good week or two, maybe while on vacation, get yourself a giant bottle of advil and plan to sleep a whole lot. Once you get through the withdrawal you will feel so much more in control, it's totally worth it. Also, increase your protein, it helps with the blood sugar drops. Oh, also, the low blood sugar was giving me panic attacks, so my Dr gave me a mild anti depressant. That's also something you might look into. I couldn't really differentiate between the low blood sugar shakes and anxiety until someone explained it all to me. Let me know if you have more questions. I feel like I could go on forever about this.
ale2121 is offline   Reply With Quote