Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #1  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Fat adjustments during weight loss?

This is a weird question lol. During weight loss is it usual for you to have areas get fatter in certain spots then they were before even though you are losing weight? Like perhaps the fat is just adjusting and moving around or is it something else?

I have lost about 10lbs currently (my weigh in day is friday but from the scale i think i will be at 10lb mark lol) and yesterday I noticed when looking in the mirror that my pelvic area which was alittle frumpy but not really fat before all of a sudden on my right side is looking way fatter. Even my DH could tell. It was quite strange.

Just kindof curious if it is a normal thing.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I had that happen last time, although not until after about 60+lbs lost, and then I got really lopsided for a while!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #3  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

As I've lost weight that little roll of fat at the top of my stomach has gotten a lot more pronounced. I assume it's a result of losing weight in other places but not that spot, so the fat there is more noticeable now. I'm not very happy about it, but what can you do? I'm sure that'll be one of the last places where the fat finally goes away for me.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #4  
this time it's for real

S/C/G: 201/159/135

Height: 5'2"

At least for me, I think it's a result of building muscle in certain areas. My legs are incredibly toned from running, biking and the elliptical, but my stomach (gah, stomach!) is still incredibly flabby. I am doing a lot of ab-work too, but all the cardio is obviously leg-focused, so that's where I'm starting to notice the weight loss.

I look very disproportionate at the moment. Not attractive. However, I'd rather be disproportionate and 26 pounds lighter than proportioned and FATTER! like I used to be!

Have patience. It will come. I hope.
macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

What I HAVEN'T heard about is people actually gaining inches in areas while losing weight, except if they're doing really heavy weight lifting (especially men...women don't gain inches even then, usually).

What DOES happen, though, is that different parts SHRINK in different order. So let's say all of the areas around a certain body part get smaller, but that body part stays the same. The part that really hasn't changed is going to look bigger, because your eye compares it to the surrounding areas and it looks comparatively big. Your brain registers that as "this part is bigger", rather than the more accurate "everything around this part has shrunk"
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

It could also be a number of other things and not fat. If it's your pelvic region can it be PMS/TOM related? Could you possibly have a little extra bloat in your colon, (from more fiber) or an infection or strained muscle of some sort? Is there any pain what so ever? Since it is on one side only, and if it persists or become painful, please see your doctor.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 03-17-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I have a belly and one thing I did lately was really watch my salt intake, sodium, I think I get bloated. Also cutting carbs seems to have helped. But I've noticed the same, I'm slimming down (again) and there's an odd blob there. I'm thinking another 10 lbs weight loss and it should be gone... if it's the same as when I lost weight before. Also I read that pilates is the best for tummy exercises so I'm going to add in more abs work - maybe 2x per week of abs dvds - pilates for abs and another one I have that's abs only. I've been doing cardio and weights in my Body for Life plan but it includes little abs work.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #8  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Puts my mind at ease. and nah it doesn't hurt or anything just found it strange to be losing weight and looking more fat in places lol but it could just be me losing around it and so it looks different there. Though I will take your suggestion, if it doesn't go away or makes me take more notice then I will talk to my doctor I go see her later this month anyways.

Last edited by moonkissed; 03-17-2009 at 04:13 PM.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I always lose in a triangle, top first. I start to feel really bottom heavy. Later I adjust, and actually do seem to have some of the fat "migrate" from bottom to top so that I am back at my pre-weight loss distribution, albeit a smaller number of pounds.

Frustrating, because for a while I think I look worse!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote